Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Car or silly car? Possible mid life crisis content.
  • Kryton57

Im not sure if im have a mid life crisis. With an insurance payout from a write off i had to quickly buy a car last year, wanted back to BMW, slightly sporty but economical for my work duties. Ended up with a ’63 120d Msport and im happy with it – its a better size in that shape than people assume and does well for bike duties also. I do wish id have held out for leather instead of Alcantra, nav and parking sensors, although the latter isnt really an issue an my phone talks through the car well enough for Nav. Its relatively quick, pretty frugal and a bit cheeky.

I want to upgrade to a 3 series touring. My inclination is the same engine and ive spotted a £20k fully loaded 3 touring msport 320d in Estoril Blue (phwoar). But then i saw a 330d, then i spotted a140i, then a 335i. Now, the prices of the latter two mean i have to own the car for ages. Being 44 with two kids this is mine not the family car (Kuga) so i should get something fun.

The blue Touring looks great, but although frugal not a total blast to drive, i should get a fun engine.

Right?

legend
    Free Member

Sounds like sir should get the Z4

djglover
    Free Member

I just sold my m135i and I don’t miss it, I liked it, it was a very capable, comfortable car. I used to have a commute that took me across the yorkshire dales and some great roads, that was great.. In summer. In winter the performance is not usable and in 90% of general driving it isn’t! glad I owned it though but it’s out of my system now I am on the brink of 9 points it had to go.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheFlyingOx

Get the sporty one.

I’m envious OP. After a few years of quick and very quick cars, I’m reduced to waiting for next year to see if the new Skoda Kodiaq is any good so we can swap our too-long-in-the-tooth Civic.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Get what’ll please you the most… if your heart is set on the 140 (for example) you’ll be mildly annoyed every time you see one and you’re schleping around in that now seemingly pathetic 320, & who wants to put up with mild annoyance?!? Not me, that’s who…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t forget that you’re also going to need new sunglasses, whatever you get.

scotroutes

As an alternative could you not buy something cheaper, cut the hours you work and, you know, ride your bike instead?

hora
    Free Member

Are you stretching yourself financially? Is it say 40% more?

It’s so easy to start off looking at buying x them in increments finding yourself stepping up and up. When I do this I pause. Sleep on it as previously I’ve steamed on and woken up sweating thinking about exactly how much I’d committed to.

Why not get s 2+2 or a 2seater? You’ve got access to a family car already why have two euro boxes in the household?

Honda S2000.

weeksy

Ducati panigale.

Cars are a pale imitation of fast and fun

fifeandy
    Free Member

Do you live somewhere you can realistically use the performance?

jimjam
    Free Member

hora

Why not get s 2+2 or a 2seater? You’ve got access to a family car already why have two euro boxes in the household?

Honda S2000.

That would kind of be my thinking too. Regardless of how nice a repmobile you buy you’ll get used to it very very quickly. And if you’re using it daily putting petrol in it might become a niggling chore, plus you’ll only be able to enjoy the performance in fits and starts.

I wouldn’t recommend ther S2000 as two of my friends had horrendous experiences with them but something older, analogue, with a big V8. Something you can work on or learn to work on yourself and that’ll put a smile on your face just by starting it up. Doesn’t have to be fast or nimble.

hora
    Free Member

Fifeandy what do you drive?

allthegear
    Free Member

Bike

I’m constantly frustrated by slowness every time I overtake in the car after being on the bike, even though it is a 3 litre petrol…

Rachel

buckster
    Free Member

Golf GTi

mboy
    Free Member

No matter how much you’d like to convince yourself it is, a 3 series touring isn’t hugely exciting to drive, no matter what engine and how specced up it is… Sorry to tell you but that’s the truth!

If you want something fast and fun, buy a car that is unashamedly fast and fun… For £20k there’s all sorts of options.

The other option is get one of the ridiculous circa £200 per month lease deals on a Golf R and put the cash back in your bank. Golf R will tick all the right boxes for you, is by all accounts more involving drive than it has any right to be, and cos their values remain so strong the lease deals on them are incredibly good value!

hora
    Free Member

Golf GTI – good call

jimjam
    Free Member

840 Ci

E39 M5

XKR

Porsche 928

Maserati 3200 gt

it’s amazing what’s out there for under £10k.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Buy the person/people whom you love the most a holiday/trip/course of a lifetime and then get a fun banger to fix up while your ‘crisis’ wears thin?

jambalaya
    Free Member

A relative has a 1 series 335M its very fast but ride is hard. 2l in a 3 series will get the job done and imo sticking a 3l in one isn’t going to scratch the itch and turn it into a “sportscar”

The issue imo with an out and out fun car is will you get bike in it or will you be reliant on having to borrow the family car amd is that practical ?

scotroutes

ride is hard

Not ideal for someone with shoulder injuries then?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Haven’t you had three cars in the last 18 months?

I’d stick with what you have and buy an MX5 for £1500, a MK1 and stick it on classic insurance for 3000 miles a year for about £200. They’re fun, you won’t lose any money on it (your plan looks to me to lose thousands!) and the novelty doesn’t wear off. We went from an MX5 as a daily driver to a hot hatch and while the hatch is faster, everywhere, and more capable it’s not as much of a laugh.

Kryton57

Just the two Munrobiker, I wrote off an Alfa 159 and replaced it with the 120D October ’15.

I think I’m going to end up with what I’ve got aren’t I? perhaps I should chip it to 220bhp and buy a set or winter wheels/tyres also for less outlay than changing the car or a Golf R. Not sure if PCP on the car allows those mods?

The 320d is essentially the same car but slightly longer and heavier. Sat Nav vis phone Google Maps and the STW recommended £2 phone holder is always up to date and plays through the speakers. I can get my bikes in/on the car no problem, it’ll return 50-55mpg easily, tax is £30pa (currently anyway). Its manual and I would have preferred the BMW auto box but hey.

I can’t have a 2+2 because as mentioned above its also my permanent bike car as the other car is needed for the kids on a daily basis – although occasional child seat swapping isn’t difficult, its a chore on a weekly basis. Plus I do a fair amount of long journeys as my work territory is “South” from Nottingham downwards and across including Wales.

My PCP offer expires in 23 months, maybe I should wait for the BMW call next year and see what offers are around or let it expire and lease as suggested.

This’ll teach me to watch Clarkson drooling over an M2 😀

piemonster

classic insurance for 3000 miles a year for about £200

That’s more than I paid for a 2013 MX5 fully comp 😛

I must be depressingly sensible.

julians
    Free Member

New m140i can be had on lease for 200+vat per month.

Id get that.

wrecker
    Free Member

I went from a touring to a GT. It’s not an exciting car, but it’s practical (more space inside than the touring) and nicer to drive than the touring. Very happy with it, very versatile car. I’ll get another after this one, but maybe a bigger engine.

hammyuk
    Free Member

The Golf R gets touted all the time – the number of owners jumping ship on them is huge.
    Late model M135i would be my choice, then fit the M235i M Performance springs, 19″ wheels, M4 LCA’s and TS’s.
    Changes the car massively, yet the adaptive keeps it smooth for day to day.
    Fit a Witter towbar for bike duties (legal as long as you don’t tow a trailer) with a Hatchbag bootliner.
    Only reason I’d go for the M140i is to get the heated rear seats – not enough of an upgrade to warrant the extra cost unless you are leasing it.

hora
    Free Member

Jumping ship on the R?

Is that because of the massive amounts VW built to meet the ridiculously low lease deal demand?

I’d love one but I imagine at some point I’d have visitors during the night requiring a car for a criminal act.

geoffj

335d xdrive msport touring obvs
    At least that’s what my midlife crisis monkey is telling me I’m getting next as an upgrade from the 320d xdrive msport touring

But have you considered a macan?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Will you ever get a car that you are really satisfied with?

I doubt it.

Save the cash, take the family on holiday.

TiRed

I didn’t need a car as we already have a crv, but the opportunity arose for a little fun car to leave on the drive and take out for emergencies.

Step forward a very low mileage Twingo RS. What a lot o fun! Takes a road bike to races and gets me to my sisters house. It lives on the drive most of the time.

Buy something fun.

Kryton57

Save the cash, take the family on holiday.

Buy something fun.

The remap looks a good option to fulfil both: 187>235 bhp & 380>445nm with same/more MPG in a car I already like can’t be a bad option for £350

tonyg2003

If you can afford a silly car and you want one. Why not? You only live once…. although frankly these cars all sound reasonably sensible

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Stop taking yourself so seriously; Another grey german repmobile is not what you need!

[video]https://youtu.be/n3XefPRSRwk[/video]

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

If on your death bed you’ll look back fondly on the cars you’ve owned in your life – then go for it.

Otherwise don’t bother. Give some money to charity and make yourself feel better in a way that owning a special car probably never will.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@hora
    An i40 1.7 crdi, about as bland to drive as it gets.
    Got rid of the warm hatch when i moved house to somewhere less conducive to fun driving.
    Hence why i asked the question.

bikebouy
    Free Member

He’s talking about the BMW 140m

Sundayjumper

My brother had an E91 335i and based on his experience I would not touch one without a full BMW warranty. It was ridiculously unreliable. Never left him stranded, just lots of little things. It never quite ran 100%.

Anyway, a 3-series is not midlife crisis. You need a sports car. Keep the BMW, and stick a Porsche in the garage.

gee
    Free Member

My wife has a ’13 (single turbo version) M135i. It’s utterly ballistic – I would save the ££ and go for one of those over the M140i which is brand new. The engine noise is remarkable and the performance in sport is mental. That said, as it’s an auto you can happily bimble around too. Averaging 32mpg 50/50 motorway and back roads. Starting it on a cold morning is always special. Just shop around and get one with a decent spec (Pro nav, heated seats etc.).

I have an ’07 335d which is also mental but for a different reason. Put your foot to the floor, let the auto box kick down and it’s like the car has been hit with a wrecking ball. And it does 34mpg. And it’s blue. And it’s quiet. And it’s comfortable on rough roads. And it doesn’t drink oil et etc… the way it goes from 50 to any other higher speed is bonkers. I considered changing it for a newer one but it’s pretty pointless as it only does about another 10 mpg and the interior, whilst it is nicer on the newer ones, isn’t that much better. Plus they are still using an identical engine, just tuned for 313 bhp rather than 286. Although, the new ones are 4WD. Wet road plus 335d = traction control light flickering!!! If 600 torques isn’t enough, you can tune them to 350bhp and 700 torques and apparently maintain the reliability as long as you don’t pootle around town and clog the DPF.

I did consider a 335i but the twin turbo petrol engines are nowhere near as reliable as the diesels.

alpin
    Free Member

BMW tend not to make “silly” cars…

those you mentioned are not that crazy or “fun” on British roads, imo…

far too many cars on the road. motorways have limits and thos cars are too big for proper “over the moors”/”down the glen” driving.

Subaru BRZ with chip? new MX5? Caterham? Fiat 124? Lotus? Z4?

@ CHF…. LOL 😆

alpin
    Free Member

I wrote off an Alfa 159

what happened to the sunnies?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Car or silly car? Possible mid life crisis content.’ is closed to new replies.