Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • CAR – odd one – retro-fit panoramic roof or huge sunroof
  • nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

We spent a fortune on a car and it’s the first car I ever bought without a sunroof. It sounds ridiculous but I REALLY miss one! Everything about the car is phenomenal but this so I wonder if anyone has any dealings with installing a huge sunroof or panoramic roof?

Thanks in advance!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Unlikley to be able to fit anything big – the body would probably need reinforcing. What is it you miss?. Being able to look up and see the stars (when you should be looking forwards?)

I always thought sunroofs were crap, as you had to cover them up to avoid baking.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I strongly suspect it’d be a lot less bother and a lot less money to sell the car and buy one with that option ticked than even attempt to retrofit anything.

Gary_M
    Free Member

You miss a sunroof?

I think I’ve used mine twice in 9 years. Whats so special about it?

wwaswas
    mattsccm
    Free Member

I really miss a sunroof. In the good old days I had a Mini with one big enough to allow you to stand up in the back seat. Modern safety stuff would bugger that up I expect.
    Wonderful things bearing in mind that we live in the UK not Death Valley and we haven’t had more than a few hours of hot since the ice caps melted.

the-muffin-man

I also miss sunroofs – I used to have a Subaru Forester which had a massive one.

I wouldn’t fit an aftermarket one though unless it was to a car I planned to keep a long while. It could really knock the value of a newish car.

nemesis
    Free Member

Job done.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Depends, if you want it done properly it may be worth finding a scrap donor vehicle with the sunroof.
    Most cars I’ve had with sunroofs have reinforcements in roof compared to those that didnt.
    You could always get one of those flip up ones, but they look crap and probably will leak.
    I always prefer cars with sunroofs, mainly because the interior is brighter and when tilted they allow the air to circulate without having the windows open, which is nicer on the motorway.

tonyd

I love my sunroof and use it all year round. It’s lovely in the winter on cold frosty mornings – roof open, heater up, lots of lovely fresh air. As above, much quieter than having windows down too.

Bit noisy with the bikes on the roof though.

johndoh
    Free Member

I am not convinced a retro-fitted sunroof will ever be quite 100% waterproof. I certainly wouldn’t buy a car if I knew the sunroof was retrofitted.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Would de value the car hugely and possibly make it unsafe in a crash. It will have strengthen cross members on the roof that would need chopping to fit a decent side sunroof.

matt_outandabout

I have a new car with odd mahoosive glass roof thing, but don’t get it. Four big glass viewing ports, with blinds over them. Odd.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘CAR – odd one – retro-fit panoramic roof or huge sunroof’ is closed to new replies.