Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Car MOT failure/welding help/cornwall!
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Sister in newquay area
    Ford KA with 40k miles on it
    12 years old
    failed MOT due to floor pan/chassis rust, wheel bearing, corroded brakepipe

Quote north of £600 to fix

Car is not worth much in £ but is worth a hell of a lot to my sis in none monetary value

What are her best options to get it fixed (welding) as cheap and safely as possible?

The wheel bearing and brake pipe should be less than £150 fitted i reckon so to charge £450+ to weld the chassis floor pan seems a touch like taking the piss!

Anyone know of a decent welder/fabricator in the Newquay/TR7 area? decent Garage?

Jamie
    Free Member

Quote north of £600 to fix

For another £350 she could have my rust free '01 Fiesta 😉

takisawa2

Wasnt Tower Garage was it?
    I had the misfortune to seek help there when our Verso played up on hol.
    Instinct told me to walk away. Quickly.

5AM
    Free Member

I'll speak to my brother for you as he lives in Falmouth. (He is in to the VW scene and custom builds his own cars. He welds himself but doubt he would have the time to do it at the mo, but I am sure he will know someone down that way that can do the work.)
    Will update the post tomorrow.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Ka's rot like nothing else, I dread to think what the state of it must be having lived by the coast! Your sis may be better off letting it go? (think safety, mot testing is there for a reason, the ka sounds like it's in a pretty dangerous state of repair!)

nuke

My 1999 Ford Ka failed for the same reason and they wanted £600 for repairs although the welding itself was only around £150 of this. I'm afraid to say we let it go for scrap…well we thought we let it go for scrap but the car scrapping company we used towed it off and put it back on the road 😐

Jamie
    Free Member

but the car scrapping company we used towed it off and put it back on the road

….and apparently Ralph's sister bought it.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

5am – ygm 🙂

tron
    Free Member

Honestly, scrap it. Kas rust like no other recent car.

A grand will pick up something like a MK3 Golf or Polo, and they’re much cheaper cars to maintain.

timber

Ka will never last long by the coast, if she really won’t scrap it and can take it west, the guys on the industrial estate at Nancegollan are quite cheap and decent, was Mikes, now Clints I think. Or Newtown garage above Praa Sands do a lot of welding for my old man on his classics.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

its not thats he won’t scrap it its that she can’t afford to. Its only done 41k miles also!!

tron
    Free Member

Fair enough. If there’s any possibility of getting anything else, I would though – there’ll more than likely be another list on next year’s fail sheet.

Some half decent stuff seems to change hands at that sort of money now – high milers, but nothing that’s going to rust like a Ka. As she’s finding out, bodywork is one of the most expensive things that can go wrong with a car.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Car MOT failure/welding help/cornwall!’ is closed to new replies.