Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Car mirror glass
  • Houns

Want to replace the bluetintedcan’tseeanythinginthempiecesofcrapdoormirrorglass that came with my car with bog standard no tint’s.
    Now do I shell out for proper manufacturer glass or do i get the £10 per side off eBay ? If it makes a difference they are heated.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I bought what I now assume to be a non genuine whole mirror assembly for my car from Ebay. Its okay and does the job and it certainly wasn’t expensive (painted, heated and electric for £69) but the quality of the mirror isn’t a patch on the genuine one on the other door. I’m tempted to buy a genuine mirror to go with my snide housing.

Houns

Is it only snide due to the cheap glass?

My main concern with the cheapo option is the heating side, as long as my car doesn’t set fire then I’ll be happy

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Everything else seems to be okay, I couldn’t say its exactly the same as the original as thats lying the road somewhere but for £69 I’m more than happy with it.

peekay

Are you sure it isn’t blue tinted as it still has the protective film on?

Houns

No it’s definitely the glass. It’s dire in poor diving conditions

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I get a kind of ripple effect when I look in mine.

Cougar

I expect the eBay ones will not be heated at that price, or heated in a Chinese Electronics manner.

The last time I took a heated door mirror to bits was on a Cavalier. Motorised non-retracting TV-screen sized things that cost £100 to replace, so were prime targets for thieves, myopic drivers and people walking home from the pub looking for something to kick.

The heated element was contained within the glass assembly, a replacement was the glass / element / plastic back sandwich which clipped into the motor housing with a couple of wires (iirc) for the heater.

One time I got a Halfords stick-on replacement which adhered over the top of the existing (broken) glass. Great idea except, the heating element now had double the thickness of glass to deal with (and a nice insulating sticky layer), and basically couldn’t cope.

So, based on my experiences of 1990s technology, I’d suggest you need to decide how important heated mirrors are to you before taking the eBay route.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The glass bit on the one that was destroyed was a stick on the back thing, I’ve no idea if that was genuine though. Can’t honestly say that I knew I had heated mirrors though as I tend to cover the car in winter.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Just done a quick Google for my car and genuine glass bits are only £3 more than pattern ones for my car – the actually housing etc is substantially more for genuine though so might be worth a search before you click the ebay link.

Cougar

Can’t honestly say that I knew I had heated mirrors though as I tend to cover the car in winter.

Doesn’t that make it difficult to drive?

Houns

The eBay ones I’ve seen come with the housing

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I tend to take the cover off before I drive it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Car mirror glass’ is closed to new replies.