Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Car mileage 47,000 miles in 2.5 years
  • amedias
    Free Member

For some people it is their job, for others it is just a part of their job.

wasn’t expecting an explanation as to why as obviously some people’s jobs entail being on the road all day, but a fair few posters were commenting on private mileage and commuting.

It’s just an astonishing amount of hours spent inside a car when you think about it, I get why some people are so picky about them when you spend that amount of time inside one.

P-Jay
    Free Member

My car is 3 and bit years old and has done 55k miles – I do 20k miles a year, they say 12k a year is normal for a private driver, add in a trip to the Alps, lots of work mileage and dare I say it trips to the trail centres and it’s easy done – my car is pretty much ‘as new’.

It’s worth remembering that it’s not miles that really wear cars out – engine wise cold running wears engines much quicker than warm running – 5k miles a year doing a 2 mile school run is going to be harder than 20k miles a year doing a 100 mile motorway run. Add in the fact it’s been well serviced means it’s probably in good nick.

Suspension, brakes and ‘chassis’ wise – hours spent at a pretty constant speed on a motorway barely effects them, lots of stop-start driving and roundabouts does.

Of course people are put off by mileage – that and age are pretty much the only ‘on paper’ indication of how used a car is so it effects the value – BUT the depreciation is always higher at the start so penalty is smaller than buying a low mileage car.

aracer
    Free Member

It is. At least most of the time I was doing that sort of mileage I was driving to and from long races, so still managing a healthy activity to driving time ratio. Now when I’m often only doing an hour or two I find it a lot harder to justify travelling far.

matt_outandabout

It’s worth remembering that it’s not miles that really wear cars out – engine wise cold running wears engines much quicker than warm running – 5k miles a year doing a 2 mile school run is going to be harder than 20k miles a year doing a 100 mile motorway run. Add in the fact it’s been well serviced means it’s probably in good nick.

We have some friends who drive everywhere. 1km to school. 800m to Tesco. 1.5km to work. etc etc.
    Their car eats tyres, DPF and brakes on an annual basis, DPF most years as well.

garage-dweller

Op I had a company golf that knocked up 37000 in the first year I had it.

Other than the odd random warranty issue it was spot on. When it went back at 3years/65 k it ran like new and looked like new. Had I not needed to replace our ageing estate and rationalise the then fleet from for cars to two I would have bought it out. Whoever bought that got a cracking car.

If however it’s been driven by those with no planning skills/mechanical sympathy and a Lewis Hamilton / Gran turismo delusion probably best to steer clear.

onewheelgood

My last two Audis had 75k and 100k on respectively, both at 3 years old. I put another 100k on each of them with no serious issues.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Car mileage 47,000 miles in 2.5 years’ is closed to new replies.