Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Car Mechanics – Car Battery Question
  • RRD
    Free Member

So I have an old runaround car that is used to shuttle me to and from the airport at the weekend . A 99 VW Lupo with a 1.8 diesel (yes really!).

The car battery does not appear to be holding charge that well – fine to start after a few days but after a couple of weeks it’ll generally not start. The engine requires a fair bit of battery to get it going after being left for a while – if that makes sense.

So I was going to replace the battery – probably going to pop into Halfords and buy a like for like.

What do I need to look out for?
    Battery Rating? Can I up the amp? Or is it a given rating for the size?
    Clearly same size.
    Makes to avoid?
    Etc

Any advice greatly appreciated.

cp

Eurocarparts?

Junkyard
    Free Member

DONT GO TO HALFORDS

You need to know
    1. cranking amps and amp hrs for your car Both will be on the battery
    2. A battery code [ probably]

either f these will allow you to choose though if you walk in and tell them your car they will do it for you.

personally i would go to a small local auto factors or auto electrical place
    Halfords are very dear IME

RRD
    Free Member

Cranking amps and amp hrs?

Got it. Can I up the amps? In case I’m underpowered?

Cheers

Surely if I know what I’m after Halfords will be ok? A bot like their bike shop – price match and provided you know what you are after you are ok.

RRD
    Free Member

Eurocarparts
    Are they trade only?

footflaps

Last battery I bought was from Halfords, they fitted it to and did an excellent job, inc un seizing all the corroded bolts and replacing them with new stainless ones for free. Very impressed.

cp

No not at all. Website is great for prices and can get online discounts on collect in store. Just put your reg in and navigate to batteries, it will list the ones you can choose from.

Edit – ref eurocarparts

RRD
    Free Member

Many thanks all

spence
    Free Member

Used these people last week http://www.batterymegastore.co.uk
    About a third less than local motor factors with an extra 10% for downloading their app and delivered next day.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The makers will know how much you needed but yeah you could fit larger if you want but it will cost you more and you do not need it. You may not even be able to fit it.

Surely if I know what I’m after Halfords will be ok? A bot like their bike shop – price match and provided you know what you are after you are ok.

the one for mine the standard is £75 and I bought one from the local autp factors for £45 [ and with a 2 yr guarantee]

they are not cheap and locally you will get cheaper

Home Page

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/GuidedSalesChangeCar?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&categoryId=165762

http://www.eurocarparts.com/car-battery?gclid=CJbrjsbQicACFbHMtAodtWYApw

totalshell

lived in hungary for a fair while.. red hot in summer brassmonkey cold like you wont believe in winter.. minus 18c is not uncommon.. in tesco.. yes that tesco they had a whole aisle of car batteries. all your magyar did was buy the biggest physical battery that would fit under the bonnet to crank the thing over on a winters morning..

popstar
    Free Member

VW Lupo 1.4tdi
    Battery type 075

POWER RATING
    Cold Cranking Amps: 580
    Capacity: 60 Ah

Middle price top spec Varta here (£54 delivery inclusive and 5 year warranty).
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281338261997

Northwind

You can go up in cca and capacity but it shouldn’t normally be useful- when the battery was healthy, did it do the job? If so, not much point in upgrading.

(it’s quite common in motorbikes, where they fit small, light, inexpensive batteries at the expense of performance. But not so much in cars)

spooky_b329

No need to upgrade, the current one is knackered and therefore its capacity will be vastly diminished. Like-for-like should be fine.

You should check its getting around 14.2 – 14.4v when the car is running to be sure there isn’t a charging issue.

itstig

Could be worth checking the heater plugs, if they are not all working the engine will need more turning over.

RustyMac

Carparts4less is the online side to eurocarparts and is often cheaper.

A quick search on there suggests that for a 1.7 diesel lupo for 1999 a bosch 4 year gaurentee battery will cost you £64 and a 5 year £70.

See link below – you’ll probably have to put in your car details again to be sure I got the details right.

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/car-battery

z1ppy

+1 to spence, batterymegastore are well worth checking out
    (Assuming it needs a new one)

RRD
    Free Member

All

Many thanks. Eurocarparts it is.

Cheers

Northwind

I got my last one from carpartsforless, it came wrapped in more bubblewrap than I’ve ever seen in one place before. And I used to work in a bubblewrap warehouse.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Car Mechanics – Car Battery Question’ is closed to new replies.