Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Car Mechanical – Clutch Diaphragm
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

Hi,

Please can someone in the know please tell me what the clutch diaphragm does on a manual VW and whether it is/could be classed as a frictional part of the clutch?

Thanks

bear-uk
    Free Member

The diaphragm is the operating centre section of the clutch. You press the pedal the diaphragm moves to release the clutch plate. It is a frictional part as the steel centre make contact with the clutch plate.

Davesport

The diaphragm is the spring that holds the clutch in engagement. IE the clamping force. It’s what you’re pushing against when you depress the clutch pedal. It’s not involved in the friction between the flywheel/friction plate/clutch cover.

porter_jamie

the diaphragm spring is the bit which is inside what most people call the ‘clutch’ or ‘clutch cover’ and is the bit which bolts to the flywheel. the spring presses the friction surface of the clutch against the flywheel and clamps the friction disk (which is the bit with the friction material on it) inbetween.

so the spring itself is not part of the friction material but it is in an assembly (the clutch cover) which has friction surface(the pressure plate) ie the friction material slides against it as you launch the vehicle

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/xsvectOR/2010-06-26_165511_1.gif

you release the clutch by pressing the fingers of the spring which the release bearing

duncancallum

warranty claim rejected?

Im an ex warranty claims manager for the likes of motorpoint

drop me a line if you need any info

MRanger156
    Free Member

Yep! – Email sent Duncan

burko73

I love this forum. 4 posts and there’s a proper expert/ man on the inside there to help. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Car Mechanical – Clutch Diaphragm’ is closed to new replies.