• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Nobby.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Car manufacturer warranty – specifically Kia
  • rascal
    Free Member

The Ceed needs new pads & discs all round so phoned around today.
    It’s still in warranty so need to use parts that won’t invalidate it.
    First place I called is the place I normally go to (local independent)….£322 – I initially thought that was a lot but nothing to compare it to. These won’t be Kia parts – I’ve had the services etc done with them and they use equivalent quality parts as far as I know….no issues.
    Halfords quoted £311 with free pads for life (even when I change the car which seems mad) – NOT Kia parts but ‘equivalent quality’ according to bod I spoke to….an early contender.
    Called local Kia dealer – ‘our parts are superior’ and that’s why they wanted £531!
    I mentioned the Halfords thing and he said if there was a problem with the discs/pads they wouldn’t be covered if they were found to be at fault (which if there was some post-incident digging by them you would guarantee they would be found to be the problem regardless).
    Another garage got Kia part prices – £550! – and A.N.Other brands parts all done for £385 which is obviously more pricey than options A & B but shows how expensive Kia parts are in comparison.

I have a dilemma now as I feel Kia have me over a barrel.
    If I go with A.N.Other brand and there’s ANY sort of bump they will absolutely blame the brakes.
    Fockers! What would you do? Anyone any first hand experience with claims/Kia warranties?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

How old is the car? How many years warranty remaining?

P-Jay
    Free Member

There was a piece of legislation that passed a few years ago which forbade manufacturers voiding any sort of warranty for not using franchised dealers for work and/or using non-manufacturer parts as long as the parts used were of identical spec.

The burden of proof would also sit with them so personally I wouldn’t worry about it. Especially as pads and discs are very unlikely to have a knock-on effect on anything else.

ji
    Free Member

…and having tried to claim on a Kia warranty expect a fight no matter what.

rascal
    Free Member

It’s a 59 plate with 45k on it so 18 months by my reckoning…worth keeping valid.
    It’s a long warranty but you can see how Kia makes it’s bloody money.

Rich_s

If I go with A.N.Other brand and there’s ANY sort of bump they will absolutely blame the brakes.

Nowt to do with a warranty that. That’s your motor insurance.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Simple solution here which is what most people in this position do.

When you speak to the independent garage ask for a fit only price, you supplying the parts. Then price up purchasing the parts from the Kia dealership. Job jobbed.

The manufacturer can indeed invalidate the warranty for using NON GENUINE parts as even spurious ‘equivalent ‘ parts are 99% of the time nothing like equivalent. Trust me, we have been shown equivalent pads, discs, filters etc and they are always different.

The rule is that as long as the work is carried out by a vat registered business and genuine parts are used they cannot refuse warranty. An unkown provisos is also that they can, even in these circumstances charge you for the warranty work and refund you subject to the manufacturer accepting the warranty claim(seen customers go batshit at this).

Anyhow, get the correct parts fitted by your independent, keep all receipts and you are fine

totalshell

why on earth does it need new discs all round? if you change pads when they need changing the discs should be good for 75/80k miles

hora
    Free Member

What does the warranty (and EU law) state on parts?

Im calling horse poo on Kia’s approved selling agent. Their terms state ‘damage caused by fitting non genuine parts’.

The damage caused by Pagid etc discs would be covered by the person that incorrectly fitted them surely.

rascal
    Free Member

I think I might have had a ‘blonde moment’.
    Just had another price for a one man band who comes to you in his van – used before.
    Price £335 all in.
    Whilst telling him about Halfords the penny dropped – brakes are ‘wear and tear’ and therefore not covered by a warranty anyway – yes?
    Total – the last time it was serviced in Feb/March it was flagged as ‘low’ and none have been changed since we’d had it (Oct 12)….feels like it needs it now though.
    Might see if he can assess and change what actually NEEDS doing – happy to have all done if needed.

TBH I don’t see how Half can make money with that offer – if things seem true good to be true they generally are.

On another note, the twunt at Kia should have known/said that brakes aren’t covered by warranty.

poly
    Free Member

TheLittlestHobo – Member
    Simple solution here which is what most people in this position do.

When you speak to the independent garage ask for a fit only price, you supplying the parts. Then price up purchasing the parts from the Kia dealership. Job jobbed.
    I think what you meant to write was:

The most time consuming solution which almost nobody in this position does…

hora
    Free Member

^ ifit saved you £100 for an hours legwork why not?

Unless of course you eatn over £100 an hour in your job?

bruneep

Like Honda advised me to change discs and pads at service, roll onto next service the advised the discs and pads were ok 🙄 Disc brake fitting biggest main stealer money maker IMHO

hora
    Free Member

And tyres (best change them now to be safe sir)..

Not all are like this though. Especially if they see your still on snow tyres in July… You must be a tight git 8)

timber

Guy I work with has had a couple of Kias now, buying nearly new and running to within 6 months of the warranty expiry. One had no history when he bought it, but Kia were happy to reinstate the warranty if they did the next service. The first one had a gearbox rebuild warrantied for a failed seal and the ambient temp sensor on a regular basis. All serviced by himself or a mate with oe spec, which just means being choosy over oil as everything else is vehicle specific and there isn’t much opportunity for tuning mods.
    He takes it to the dealer for all sorts of niggles that you would just live with if you were paying each time.

rascal
    Free Member

Called Kia customer services.
    I explained that I would’t be making a claim against the brakes as I know they won’t be Kia brakes and she was fine. They would obviously rather I spent more using their parts in their dealers but they can’t enforce that. It’s different to using substandard oil and your engine seizes and then making a claim – that’s an integral part of the car and not a wear & tear consumable.

Th extra 200-plus quid saved stays in my wallet and the mechanic comes to my house to do it too 🙂

Nobby

why on earth does it need new discs all round? if you change pads when they need changing the discs should be good for 75/80k miles

It’s becoming increasingly common for manufacturers to fit pads & discs that wear ‘together’ so they will always need replacing at the same time. It extends the life of the pads hugely & the discs themselves are pretty cheap.

Did a friend’s Golf a few months back & it was only £50 for front pads & discs – the car’s done over 100k miles on the originals.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Car manufacturer warranty – specifically Kia’ is closed to new replies.