Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Car Long Jump (Spoiler: Massive Crash!!)
  • shuhockey
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWOANXNGrZc[/video]
    Wow!
    Now that is how to crash is style!

maxtorque

It’s a Mini adventure………. (with a rather Maxi ending)

DezB
    Free Member

I (ahem) jumped to the action (about 7m 30s) so I didn’t find out why someone with young kids would do something so mental, but I must say the jump/crash is brilliantly edited. Spectacular.

peterfile
    Free Member

Spectacular.

+1

That must have felt incredible and horrible in equal measures. The full speed edit towards the end makes it look like someone playing with a toy car and just flipping it around.

ocrider

OK lads, we’re going to need the spare car.

wwaswas

I was impressed how few times it touched the ground whilst crashing.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Pretty surprised there wasn’t an ambulance/fire crews with engines running ready to go to the scene of a crash. Seeing them run with extinguishers in hand seemed a bit poor.

peterfile
    Free Member

I was impressed how few times it touched the ground whilst crashing.

Me too! I wonder what the record is for number of front flips in a car? Surely he can’t be car off!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anyone find the editing really annoying?

I just wanted one clean shot of the landing from one camera.

warton
    Free Member

that should polish out.

Trimix
    Free Member

Landed nose first – should have pumped harder on the lip then 🙂

(or used a car with better weight balance)

footflaps

Pretty surprised there wasn’t an ambulance/fire crews with engines running ready to go to the scene of a crash. Seeing them run with extinguishers in hand seemed a bit poor.

He’ll have only had the minimum fuel in a modified impact resistant tank, to minimise the fire risk.

DezB
    Free Member

I thought the editing was brilliant. Really got the drama up that something was going to go wrong… especially when you saw the driver’s (pilot’s?) face at the split second before impact.
    The one clean shot came straight after.
    Superb I thought.

nuke

Oh my 😯 Good vid

scotroutes

You know that thing about looking at womens tits while you’re talking to them?

sgn23
    Free Member

So who screwed up? The driver or the engineer doing the calculations?

spooky_b329

There seemed to be a tiny moment of hesitation with the gas as he went up the base of the ramp, suspect that loaded the suspension a little? All the other jumps were nose up, as soon as the nose got low I guess it loses that tiny bit of assistance from the airspeed and drops further. He made the distance, just landed on the front bumper.

samuri
    Free Member

the place I saw it, Go Pro I think, kept going on and on about how calm he was.

Nope, it looks like he almost shit himself when he realised he was going to crash.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yikes! Good linky. Ta.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Wow and double wow

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Um, my guy is better than your guy

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Can’t get over how (relatively) calm it was in the cab. Crashing without actually contracting the ground much really seems to work… wonder if he gives lessons…

fasthaggis

Yup,it’s like they didn’t want to show that bit of the landing impact,there is no clean shot.A bit odd ,when they had all those cameras around.

brakes
    Free Member

you’d think he’d have some kind of wing flaps to adjust pitch, or is that not allowed?

legend
    Free Member

you’re confusing jumping a car with landing a plane

thehustler
    Free Member

If you’re going to over jump on snow, over jump like Gee Atherton

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypLuYbN2-ZQ[/video]

konabunny
    Free Member

No eye protection!

shifter
    Free Member

And those eyes were close to popping out

spooky_b329

Perhaps BMW didn’t want a clip of a (fake) mini in a spectacular crash, hence only inside and very wide shots?

milky1980
    Free Member

Looks like he made the mistake of lifting off the throttle mid-air.

The Group B 205T16’s had the same problem, the inertia of the engine slowing down would rotate the car, the solution was to floor it!!

At least he didn’t come up short.

shifter
    Free Member

I wonder at what point in history people will stop whining about the current Mini.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Oh Spooky you have ruined it for me now, I was going to go down the Mini dealership and buy one, I hadn’t realised the car was not a ‘normal’ Mini

Gee was bloody lucky in his miscalculation!

big_scot_nanny

Ah, milky1980, thanks! My son and I were watching that and couldn’t figure out the nosedive. You can see on the second to last practice jump the same behaviour jsut starts to kick in right at the end.

I should know this, its exectly the same with RC cars – when you come of a jump, keep the gas on to keep the car stable in the air. Or use the throttle to adjust pitch.

Thanks!

hooli

I bet that hurt a bit 😯

DezB
    Free Member

*Awaits milky1980’s car jump video*

Speeder

shifter – Member
    I wonder at what point in history people will stop whining about the current Mini.

When they make something in keeping with the name?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Car Long Jump (Spoiler: Massive Crash!!)’ is closed to new replies.