Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Car leasing (sorry). Any tips?
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

Hi all. Company car goes at the beginning of December & we're being forced to opt out & take the cash, which means for the first time in 10 years I have to sort out my own vehicle. I've always had "performance" cars, but now have 2 young kids so looking at something like an Octavia VRS, Alfa 159 TI, that sort of thing, as they seem to offer a lot for the money. Thing is, I also have a clunker that I could trade in under the "scrappage" scheme. Any thoughts on the best way of going about this? Wondering if I can trade scrapper in but still get a lease type deal. Don't want to spend more than about £350/month on the lease itself (plus insurance etc). Any thoughts on cars and/or best place to look for a lease? Cheers!

pedalhead
    Free Member

Oh, the "super desirable" Mondeo is not an option 😉 , plus they're really expensive to lease for some bizarre reason. Residuals I suppose.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

All main dealers will do PLPs (or whatever they are called) – Personal Lease Plans. Similar to business leasing, but usually a bit more expensive like-for-like and you can get them all inclusive with servicing etc on a fixed mileage. I don't see why you couldn't use your old car on the scrappage plan too?

Loads of cars out there – new Focus RS, V6 Mondeo, the coupe Passat V6 is sexy as too (and insanely quick)…

pedalhead
    Free Member

Thanks mf, wondering if the £2k scrappage would apply for such deals. I guess I should phone a few dealers really 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It would be the ideal starting point 😉

tails
    Free Member

Passat V6 is sexy as

never heard a passat be described as sexy, still first time for everything.

call around never hurts to ask.

SiB
    Free Member

pedalhead……went to look at the RS the other day and the figures for leasing included the deduction for scrappage from another car. This was at a Ford dealership so not sure about actual 'leasing companies'. RS arriving in October, I shouldnt be this excited yet, should I!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well I think it looks great (for the type of car it is – I mean, it ain't an Aston or anything). But for a four seater, practical, quick car…)

pedalhead
    Free Member

Interesting SiB, cheers. RS looks lovely, you lucky chap! Probably a bit pricey for me though I suspect. Good news that they seem to be able to take scrappage on a lease deal via a dealer. THIS is quite a good site for comparing lease deals online, and in fact a lot of the companies on there are indeed dealers anyway. Not sure I'm old/dull enough for a Passat just yet…V6 or no 🙂

hora
    Free Member

pedalhead – most importantly you will never have to had read the end of lease T&C's before. When considering a lease deal I'd also look at the end of lease hand over notes as well as part of the consideration. They can SHAFT you heavily 🙁

pedalhead
    Free Member

Cheers MP, will do. Luckily I'm probably not looking at anything over 10k miles pa these days as I mainly work from home, so at least the excess mileage thing shouldn't be an issue. Though I guess I may get paranoid about my kids with sticky fingers on the leather, with regards to final value…and MTB related mud!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not sure I'm old/dull enough for a Passat just yet

But you will consider an Octavia?…

simon_g

lingscars.com is one of the few that actually gives prices rather than asking you to contact them for a quote. What they're doing as specials will probably apply to most other brokers too.

Not sure the scrappage scheme would be compatible with leasing as the point of it is that you don't own the car, you just rent it for a fixed term. Could probably be used as the deposit for a PCP-type deal though (guaranteed final value set, you either pay it at the end or hand back).

Leasing can work well in some circumstances – for people who want a new car, definately want to change it after 2 or 3 years (as there's no option to keep it), know their needs and mileage won't change, and aren't that fussed about what they have – as the best deals are on models that have excess stock.

It can work out quite well for ex-company car drivers, as long as your mileage isn't too high (most are quoted for 10k/year, it gets quite a bit pricier with more) and of course your job is secure – as if you got made redundant, the car and it's payments are your problem, not the company's.

Equally it can work out badly for some people – a couple I know leased a small family hatchback which worked out fine for them and their one child. Then she got pregnant with twins and they found out just how punitive the early termination clauses are on these leases – unlike an owned but financed deal, they couldn't pay it off and sell/trade in, they ended up keeping it for the term but getting another bigger car. A colleague got screwed by excess mileage after his wife picked a new house that was 40 miles rather than 3 from the office.

Personally I'm not that fussed about brand new so bought at 6 months old and even if I financed it, it would work out quite a bit cheaper than leasing a new one for the 25k miles a year. Plus I can go on running it for 4 or 5 years rather than being compelled to hand it back after 3, and I just pocket the difference between my car allowance and what it actually costs to run.

pedalhead
    Free Member

But you will consider an Octavia?…

Only the vRS, and only because it's big+fast+cheap. Fair point though 😉 .

Thanks a lot simon_g, useful info. Just looked at lingscars.com and my retinas are burning 😆 . Nearly new could also be an option, but then I lose the scrappage option on my virtually worthless hunk of junk.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Only the vRS, and only because it's big+fast+cheap

Fair enough – the Passat is only the first two (and probably not that big in the coupe spec anyway, but the saloon spec DOES look old and tired).

djglover
    Free Member

why not buy a 3 year old one from a dealer with extended warranty and pocket your cash alternative?

hora
    Free Member

djglover – Member
    why not buy a 3 year old one from a dealer with extended warranty and pocket your cash alternative?

he has a point

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But with the scrappage allowance, buying new is more desirable than it has been..

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Contact Kevin at VeSource http://www.vesource.co.uk/

Cracking service and great prices, they will always try and beat your best price if you've got a good one already.

No, I don't have any links to them but I use them without any complaints

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Car leasing (sorry). Any tips?’ is closed to new replies.