Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 248 total)
  • Car leasing, anyone here do it??
  • dubber71
    Free Member

Hi all,
    I’ve just had a wage increase and was thinking of leasing a car instead of trusting a second hand car dealer which to be honest I’ve never had much luck with, from my experience they give you all the chat to buy the car then once driven away they don’t give a toss…sorry to any honest dealers on here..
    I can’t afford a great deal, probably about £150 a month give or take a few quid, I only have my old V reg astra as any sort of deposit and probably wouldn’t be interested or have the money in purchasing the lease car at the end of the lease period..
    Does leasing a car include your insurance/tax ?
    Any info greatly appreciated,thanks,Paul

the-muffin-man

Does leasing a car include your insurance/tax ?

Not normally.

Some deals can include a service package for the length of the deal.

Mileage – most headline PCPs are based on 5000/6000 miles per year. They will allow more but the monthly rate is higher.

Do you treat you car dirt? If so a lease/PCP may not be ideal as they expect them to be in a decent condition on return. If you go back to the same dealer for a replacement you may get a bit of leeway on this.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Not sure if it is different but I leased a VW a few years ago here in Germany . For a business leasing makes sense as you can put it under costs rather than asset under the German tax system. For insurance we had to sort that out ourselves but the servicing was covered under the lease agreement. At the end if the lease period they go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb and put such a high price on repairs that it forces you to buy it. In our case anyway. I personally wouldn’t do it again…. I’d rather finance a car.

BoardinBob

I did it via Ling’s cars. I apologise in advance for this website

http://www.lingscars.com/

Although it looks like an absolute car crash (no pun intended) it’s actually by far the best leasing site around in terms of being up front and honest. Every permutation is there and the prices you see are what you’ll pay. Her deals also have the smallest up front payments in my experience.

As for actually leasing, as was mentioned above if you’re rough on cars or don’t look after them, then it’s probably not for you. Be prepared to get the car back to near showroom condition when you hand it back or face a bill for repairs

rone

Skoda Yeti L&K 4×4 1.4tsi £2090 down and £135 a month. 16000miles/24month (GF)

Skoda Yeti SE-L 1.2tsi DSG £2090 down and £109 a month. 16000miles/24month (Mine)

Extra mileage at about 4ppm.

Got the local Skoda dealer to match simpsons Skoda in Colne (who were awful on the phone.)

The process was a pain as Skoda are mainly set-up for business lease but just coming into private lease – so naturally they wanted to sell me a car on PCP at £100 a month more!!

Both cars are top-spec (the L&K) – both leather. No admin and No car tax to pay. 3 Years breakdown and warranty.

Ask me anything else, I’ve leased on and off for a while now. And for me – it’s a no brainier.

http://www.simpsonsskoda.co.uk/new-car-offers/pch-offers/

Your local dealer may or may no bite with these offers.

dubber71
    Free Member

Thanks for the info so far
    I do look after my cars to the extent of being a bit anal about it but obviously car park dents etc are unavoidable
    Cheers

rone

I’ve never had an issue sending a car back with any fees.

If it’s bad – you get it fixed before.

You need to be clear on whether it’s PCP or PCH – you’re interested in as they’re a different thing. Personal Contract Hire is literally renting/leasing with virtually no contractual way of buying the car at the end. PCP is buying the car with the option of giving it back or keeping it at the end if you make the final balloon payment – whilst keeping the monthly payment low.

Both have benefits but I’m less enamored currently with PCP for various reasons.

Alex

I lease (HP) mine through the company which makes sense as most of the miles are for business trips. As TMM says tho you need to keep it in good condition otherwise expect extra charges. I wouldn’t have leased when my kids were younger and it was all boiled sweets in the upholstery!

Mine is a full service package with a hire-car made available in 2 hours if needed. It’s a utility for me, like my laptop – without it can’t do my job/get paid so leasing through the company works both financially and practically.

We also lease (PCP) my wife’s car. When changing from her current 10 year old car, we looked at the options and for the 8-9000 miles a year she drives, leasing proved to be the best/easiest option.

I’m sure second hand cars/low cost loans are financially more attractive, but I don’t want to tie cash up in a depreciating asset, nor do I want the hassle of buying and selling. So that makes leasing worth it for me.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve got a VW Caddy on personal lease through VW.

3 Years with 10,000 miles per year (anything over that is charged at 6p per mile)
    Tax and european breakdown cover included, I just have to sort out my insurance.

You could pay extra for free servicing, but since it’s only due 1 service in the 3 years it wasn’t worth the extra cost.

If you do get one over 3 years, you will have to put it through an MOT at the end of the contract.

Alex

Oh both ours are Skoda’s as well. The business team gave me a monster deal as I was already a customer when mine was due to change and for my wife’s we took advantage of the £1000 cash back, 0% finance offer they had. It was the latter which made the PCP the best option.

hooli

Those Simpsons Skoda deals popped up in an advert the other day, very tempting.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member
    johndoh
    Free Member

I was looking around the other day and came across this site that had some good deals on it

http://www.pcpcars.com/

If you aren’t bothered about latest models you can also get some amazing deals on old shape cars – my last car was an A6 Avant SLine 2.0TDi for two years and it was only £270 a month because the new model had come out. If I went for the new model it would have been another £130 or so a month.

core

I’ve just got a fresh car on Business Contract Hire (eligible because my employer pays me mileage allowance).

Citroen DS3 BlueHDi 120 6speed, it’s fairly high spec, though no satnav. 60 – 70 mpg

No deposit, £198 per month, 18 month contract, 30,000 miles. Tax exempt.

I have to pay for one (minor – oil change and ad-blue top up) service at 16k miles. It should virtually halve my fuel spend, and only cost me one service in 18 months, as opposed to 2 services and an MOT, and general repairs on my old car. So actually very little monthly increase in cost to drive around in a brand new car (£16.5k’s worth) and have no hassle.

FuzzyWuzzy

When I looked at personal leasing it only really seemed to make sense if you had to have a new car and were prepared to pay a premium to have some of the hassles taken out of ownership. What it wasn’t was a good way of getting a car if you didn’t have a lot of cash so your choice of secondhand cars was limited. Sure it might just about work for the first lease period (where you have a car to sell to meet the initial payment) but unless your financial situation has changed (or you’ve saved enough for another lease initial payment) then you’re screwed whereas if you’d bought a secondhand car at least you’ve still be able to use it or have still have something as a trade-in

Drac

I do through work it includes insurance, servicing and maintenance on a 2 year plan for Golf GTD 15k PA I pay just under £300.

rone

Lease doesn’t compare to second-hand. It’s a way of having a new car.

Pros and Cons. You have to know what you are getting in to. But if a the lease is less than the new car is likely to depreciate over the term then there is not much point in buying IMO.

I would say all the decent 2nd cars I’ve owned – have depreciated a lot and cost a few quid to run. But I’m not into bangeronmics either.

There are always cheaper options on the 2nd hand market – if you want a 2nd hand car.

somouk
    Free Member

There are some silly cheap lease deals about at the moment on things like passats or tiguans as the new tiguan is out soon.

Just a case of shopping around and keeping the mileage low.

the-muffin-man

Hmm – since when has £611/month been silly cheap!

Drac

This is silly cheap in my opinion, if I hadn’t just had a car I would have been tempted by this:

http://www.nationalvehiclesolutions.co.uk/Volkswagen-Passat-Alltrack-2.0TDI-190-4MOTION-DSG-Personal-Lease/43130

£611 is silly cheap? 😯

Oh look he edited his post.

iainc

^^^ I have been looking at Passsat Alltrack’s and VW PCP works out at just over £500 a month on 48 month, 3k deposit and 20K miles pa. I then looked at a Skoda SEL Estate 4×4 on same terms and it is £150 a month less….

Drac

Deposit on a leader? Hmmmm!

somouk
    Free Member

Hmm – since when has £611/month been silly cheap!

£611 is silly cheap?

Oh look he edited his post.

I posted the link from yesterday when it was £180 a month with a £600 deposit and then noticed when I looked today it is ludicrous so removed it, obviously not quick enough!

angeldust
    Free Member

Passat ALLTRACKS were going for £1800 deposit and 23*£62 (inc VAT) from central vehicle leasing this week. Amazing deal, now over. Leasing really makes sense if you find a deal like that.
    Doubt they had many to shift at that price.

If you don’t understand the value of a new car, leasing is not for you.

Drac

Yeah that is silly cheap I bet it was a mistake.

Passat ALLTRACKS were going for £1800 deposit and 23*£62 (inc VAT) f

A typo?

angeldust
    Free Member

Not a typo, though you could only have solid gray. Was ~£100 a month if you wanted a choice of colour.

Drac

That seems a crazy price.

wrecker
    Free Member

Just doing the dance through work at the moment. We have to get 3+35 months, 20k full service and tyres. The new A4 avant s-line is looking favorite at £430/month at present although a 320d touring m sport can be had cheaper.

angeldust
    Free Member

That seems a crazy price.

It is a crazy price! You could get a new model A4 Avant (1.4 petrol Sport, 1500bhp) for £1500 + 23*£100, earlier this month. There are some great deals out there is you know where to look.

bruneep

So where do I look?

johndoh
    Free Member

I think we need to have a PCP deal sticky thread!

cokie

There are so many options available to you, it’s unbelievable!
    If you want hassle free, how about the Peugeot ‘just add fuel’ offer?
    3 year PCP that includes the car, insurance, tax & servicing. You’re left with one payment to Peugeot every month plus what you pay at the pump. Easy.
    Price up the car size, deposit & mileage HERE

cokie

There’s a huge ongoing thread on PistonHeads that get’s updated daily.
    Have a look HERE

pictonroad

It is a crazy price! You could get a new model A4 Avant (1.4 petrol Sport, 1500bhp) for £1500 + 23*£100, earlier this month. There are some great deals out there is you know where to look.

where are these deals, I’ve never seen anything like that

edit – too slow, pistonheads thread.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah if I saw something like that I would dive on it.

rone

I think PCP needs clearly seperating from PCH.

Sundayjumper

Even I’d consider a lease at that price, but I need 20k miles pa and that always knackers it.

Interestingly, when someone posted some Touareg deals a while back, it was cheaper to get two of them @ 10k miles than one @ 20k miles ! Park them both on the driveway and alternate which one you drive each day 🙂

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Leasing makes sense so long as you don’t want a very specific car and don’t load on the options.

If you look for a certain type of car, say an estate or 4×4 then look for what deals are around, that is the best way to do it.

If you add extras you will pay for those in the lifetime of the lease, so £1000 of options over a 2 year lease will cost you £40 per month, since they don’t factor into the value at the end of the lease.

Our last 2 cars have been through Lings. Really easy to deal with a good rates. All the deals are 3+, so lower deposit up front and usually have some really good deals.
    Watch out for 4 year deals as you will have to pay for any repairs needed. VED is always paid, but servicing is usually not – but a serviced option is usually available.

Some excess mileage charges are reasonable, around 4-6p per mile. Others can be really high, 15p+ so be aware of that.

matt_outandabout

Even I’d consider a lease at that price, but I need 20k miles pa and that always knackers it.

Add another 5k onto that for me. 🙁

Sundayjumper

FWIW the Pistonheads thread confirms that the Passat deal mentioned above was a mistake.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 248 total)

The topic ‘Car leasing, anyone here do it??’ is closed to new replies.