• This topic has 39 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Car keys
  • aracer
    Free Member

I'm a complete idiot and have lost my (only) car key somewhere at home. Have searched everywhere I can think of and no sign, so am now pretty much resigned to the idea that I'll need to get a new one. Obviously despite being old enough to scrap, it's new enough to have an immobiliser and a plip which will need programming as well as a new blade. Any suggestions for somebody who will come out to Worcester and sort this for me for a bit less than the kings ransom the main dealer will doubtless charge?

Alternatively, any suggestions on where my key might be?

coffeeking
    Free Member

IT fell out of your pocket, down the side of the sofa.

ski
    Free Member

what make of car is it for aracer?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stratobiker
    Free Member

Down the back of the settee.
    In the fridge.
    In the jacket you were wearing then but haven't worn since.
    In your camelback.
    Behind the fridge.

When did you last have them?
    Talk us through it.

SB

IA

It's where you think it couldn't possibly be.

Alternatively you need your wife/gf/mum to look. They'll find it in about 30 seconds, sat somewhere obvious, amidst your protests that there's no way it could have got there/you looked there already.

aracer
    Free Member

Sorry, it's a Pug 406.

enfht
    Free Member

Easy, where was the last place you saw it?

mugsys_m8

shirt breast pocket? always a fave palce for me to lose things in. As I never use it….

hang on..how do the things end up in there? sigh. I don't know.

aracer
    Free Member

Didn't exactly "see" it – was in my pocket on Saturday morning when I opened the car to get swimming stuff out (pushed the remote button). Have a very definite memory of locking it again to go swimming (in mrs aracer's car). Later on that day I opened the car to get something out – though I don't actually have a memory of doing that. Was somewhat surprised when I was clearing away later to find the key wasn't where I expected it to still be (in my trouser pocket). Only wore the one pair of trousers that day, and at some point one jacket.

So in theory last place seen was in my trouser pocket.

aracer
    Free Member

Unfortunately I've already done the wife thing – she found a different set of keys I've been missing for ages down the side of the settee (during which time I'm sure we've done several complete settee cleanouts). So we've done the settee – hadn't thought of inside the fridge, thanks for the tip!

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

This has happened to me twice. Both times it was found in a shoe, and a shoe I don't normally wear so had been put in the wardrobe. I'm not sure what goes on in my head sometimes. Shoes are always my first port of call now.

aracer
    Free Member

Done shoes 🙁

ski
    Free Member

kids?

Can you blame any pets/kids?

Last time "I" lost my keys, my kids found them embedded in a load of playdoh stuck to the under side of our kitchen table!

If you need to get another cut, try the guy at the end of the Shambles, he helped out with a old VW key we needed cutting recently.

aracer
    Free Member

Yes to the kids – unfortunately when I ask the only one capable of moving them he hands me a pretend car key 🙄

Not sure the shop on the Shambles will be much help given I'd have to give him something to make a new one from, and it's rather a long way to push a car!

uplink
    Free Member

Follow the Sherlock Holmes theory

"When you've eliminated the impossible,whatever remains,however improbable must be the truth"

fozzybear
    Free Member

aracer. car side.

right, do you have the codes for the immobiliser?
    these normally come on the keys when you get a/the car. it's normally a black plastic or metal disc with a few numbers on it?
    it's not that bad to recode, you need to get into the car, then program the key. i would suggest you look for a local mobile car key/lock guy local to us (i'm in kiddy) firstly to get you in to the car, then to try and cut you a key, you "issue" is you need a key to copy, you don't have one of the backup plastic spare ones do you?

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Have you looked in your wifes car? even yours if it is open?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Its always in the last place you look for it.

aracer
    Free Member

i would suggest you look for a local mobile car key/lock guy local to us (i'm in kiddy) firstly to get you in to the car

If you read the explanation carefully you'd realise I don't actually need to do that 🙄 Fortunately I live somewhere extremely safe!

Unfortunately the car come from a supermarket and I don't have either the codes or a plastic backup key.

Thanks for the help guys – all much more useful than I was expecting for here!

p.s. tried in both cars – one of the first places I looked given I'd been in both between when I last had the key and when I didn't (wasn't a good day – was supposed to be fixing the stereo on mrs aracer's car, but only succeeded in blowing it up).

flatfish
    Free Member

if you have the v5 and you can get the vin number from through the windscreen your pug main dealer should be able to get one made up. you may have to get the aa or rac to tow it to the dealer.

Stoner
    Free Member

check the Jr hasnt filed it in the waste paper basket.

I didnt. And having just found my vernier callipers in the waste basket, Ive got a pretty good idea why I havent seen my Sony PSP for 2 weeks. 🙁

I didnt think I left it on the train
    There's going to be one very happy bin-diver around these parts.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Did you drop them into a bowl by the door last time you went to a party?

stumpy01

Are you SURE you didn't change your trousers & have chucked them in the laundry bin with said key still in the pocket?

Were you wearing a jumper/hoodie/jacket with pockets on when you last opened the car?

stratobiker
    Free Member

Did they go in the washing/washing machine with the towels from swimming?
    And you've double checked they've not fallen from your pocket down between the seats of your wife's car?
    And they're not hanging out of the car door? A fave place for me!
    Or in the ingnition?

SB

anjs
    Free Member

Friend oy mine did this at Swinley. Took the Rac over an hour to breaking and tow him home. He had to folk out 180 to get a new set.

aracer
    Free Member

Well thanks for all the help – still not found them. Much to my surprise it's actually cheaper to get a key from the main dealer (presumably because they don't have to come out to the car – it seems they can do a key just from the VIN). The only problem being it takes 1-2 weeks to get one made. Will have to consider my options (and have another big search tonight and tomorrow).

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

In the car door? I did that once! 😆

Keva
    Free Member

swimming you say… checked bag used for swimming ?… ruck sack pockets etc ?

igm

anyone said lost property at the swimming pool?

Dobbo

Buy a new car and get £3000 under the scrapage scheme for the Pug, what a bargain, every cloud has a silver lining.

nickc

On the plus side, think of all the fuel you're saving…

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Ok had one of these on the beach a couple of years ago – thought the keys were lost in the sand – 15 poeple and 2 hours later I found them caught on the frayed seam of the rucksac, a thread had caught on the ringythingy the key was attached to – so don't just check pockets.

Another is between the seat and the plastic seat side trim, there is often a gap into which they and all manner of treasures can fall.

Nice to hear the price is now reasonable they wanted a couple of hundred for a spare for my old Pug 406 est.

fozzybear
    Free Member

aracer if u get a key cut you will still need a car guy to code it to your car to start it. When you go back to the dealer ask if they have your SKC on file (secret key code) as you will need that code to add the new key to the immobiliser, ford used to charge £25 for this code if you needed it.

dawson

check the inside of any upturned umbrella's..

some friends came to ours once and their toddler deposited their car and house keys (on the same keyring…) on the inside of the umbrella – they were just about to set off on their 200 mile journey home, but couldn't find their keys – cue 4 adults turning the house upside down for 45 minutes and pleading with a 2 year old to find out what he had done with the keys…

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Could be the "Borrowers".

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I did this the other day. Much searching of pockets, draws etc later and I found them on the drive where they hadn't *quite* got into my pocket after locking it.

uplink
    Free Member

Can't be bothered to read through everything you've tried but have you phoned the pool to check if anyone has handed keys in?

Also toolbox – given you were fixing [or not] the Mrs radio
    I've lost count of the number of times my keys have ended up in my toolbox

aracer
    Free Member

Nice to hear the price is now reasonable they wanted a couple of hundred for a spare for my old Pug 406 est.

Not sure I said reasonable – £110 from the dealer (£30 of which was for the code), £190 from the auto locksmith.

Keep the ideas coming – though I have already tried most of them!

On the plus side, think of all the fuel you're saving…

Well it did make me realise I could get a lift in whilst my car is out of order rather than cycle (I'd normally be quite happy to, but have a bit of a cold right now), and that in the longer term I could lift share. That's because this morning I got a comment about cycling in when I walked into my building, from the lady who lives a few doors down, and I often meet dropping her son off at nursery at the same time as I drop mine. I knew she worked here, but didn't realise she was in the same building, and have kind of always assumed lift sharing wouldn't work due to dropping son at nursery – never quite managed to make the connection!

stratobiker
    Free Member

SO, did they turn up then?

hora
    Free Member

For the future- I have a dog disc attached to my key ring – my mobile number and 'reward' engraved. Pets at Home have a machine for 3quid that does it. At least someone might return it. After all its just a set of anon-keys to any finder who may not hand them in..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Car keys’ is closed to new replies.