Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Car key safety at the beach
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Im off for the weekend with the kids soon
    We plan to spend some time riding the waves in Cornwall 🙂

The thing is the GF isnt coming, and normally one of us would keep an eye on our stuff whilst the others splashing around with the kids
    In the old days Id have taken my car key with me in a wetsuit pocket but now they have electronic gizmos thats no longer possible

Do most people really just leave their stuff under a towel then vanish???

All I can find on Google is this which is scary LOL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XehjfMJ1Raw

scaredypants

get a “proper” waterproof bag and put em in your pocket ?

(I did this recently with a hire car key, only without the waterproof bag bit. Luckily it was in california and ded sunny – couple of hours in the sun with the back off and it started to work again)

Del

magnet?

NZCol

I have one of those pin key boxes that I stick through the hole on my towbar. Needs a code to get the key out and pretty obvious if some is lying down behind your car trying it !

cheekyboy
    Free Member

All you need is cling film and vaseline

scaredypants

cheekyboy – do you do t-shirts ?

Mikeypies
    Free Member

get one of these

http://store.aquapac.net/explore-by-activity/sail/keymaster-fits-asthma-inhalers-608.html

I have been using one for years and works

MSP

I use one of these when I go openwater swimming.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquapac-International-AQUA-600-Waterproof-Keymaster/dp/B000E3K4LS

edit: Snap!

cheekyboy
    Free Member

cheekyboy – do you do t-shirts ?

I will do anything for cash !

giant_scum
    Free Member

Ziploc bag with the key inside it stuffed inside your wetsuit, do this with my car key whilst swimming except I put it inside mt swimming cap.

transapp
    Free Member

You may be able to get a ‘dead’ key, one that is cut and will open a lock however won’t actually start the car. It’ll set off the alarm when you open the door, so grab the real keys and ‘unlock’ again

nickdavies

http://store.aquapac.net/

Aquapac – get from cotswold/amazon etc. My car key doesn’t leave mine, spend most weekends in the water with them and never had a problem. Just make sure you close them properly.

I buy a new one every 12 months or so just in case, but not had a failure yet.

grahamt1980

I use an aquapac, used it when I was doing coasteering guiding, and use them for paddling now.
    Kept phones and keys dry so far

mikertroid
    Free Member

Transalp + 1

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Plug it 😯 😀 😆

scaredypants

I will do anything for cash !

Well then I’m out – you said all you need is cling film and vaseline

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Aha – bloody brilliant

Thanks in equal measures for the Aquapac and dead key (which is buried at the back of my man drawer in the kitchen)

Sorted 🙂

Burts
    Free Member

+1 Aquapac. Car keys used to go in my bouyancy aid when kayaking, not had a problem in 10yrs.

nealglover
    Free Member

Used one of these for ages. It’s great as I’m prone to losing keys when out Biking/Skiing/walking etc.

Saves me a load of potential bother.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Liquipel and a brown paper bag

bigrich

Butch’s fathers watch.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Yes, I do leave keys, wallet etc in a rucksack pocket or buried in the towels bag. I love living on the edge, me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i just stick mine under a ledge inside a bumper or inside the wheel rim (steelies so cant be seen from outside)

only exception to this is the key to the BFO chain i put through the rear wheel of the land rover to the chassis leg(because the door locks can be opened with any flat object) when i leave it in the wilderness but that keys not electronic

DavidB
    Free Member

i just stick mine under a ledge inside a bumper or inside the wheel rim (steelies so cant be seen from outside)

I would never ever advise this. How can you know for certain you are not being watched? Also, where would a potential cat thief look first. Finally if your car is nicked then you have no leg to stand on with insurance

trail_rat
    Free Member

thems the risks i take.

Its not anything remotely nice or worthwhile stealing. I take a bit more precaution with the land rover because its easily stolent and broken down also perfect joyride material for kids.

martinxyz
    Free Member

A potential cat-thief earlier.

cat-thief by martinxyz, on Flickr

spooky_b329

If you use a dead key, at least put the ‘live’ key in one of those masterlock key safes tucked under a seat. If someone smashes a window and nicks your camera you are insured, but if someone smashes a window, finds the key and drives off in the car, your insurance would likely be void. You’d have to claim the key was stolen from you and the thief had found your car…

crazy-legs

Don’t do what a mate did many years ago after doing the Brighton Triathlon… He stoppped by his car to get a towel then went for a swim in the sea after the race to cool off (still wearing his tri gear) but he’d forgotten to zip up the wetsuit pocket where he’d put the car keys…

His phone and wallet were with his towel so he tried phoning home in London, no-one in. In the end his only option was to get the train home (still in tri kit), walk across Blackheath to his house, get the spare house key from under the plant pot, pick up his spare car key from the house then get the train back to pick his car up. The humiliation of having to sit on a train wearing tri gear ensured that he looked after his car keys more carefully next time!

unsponsored
    Free Member

aLoksak are the way forward. I use them for carrying my keys whilst in my boat.

Keeping them dry – aLOKSAK

Only a couple of quid.

transapp
    Free Member

Do not leave your keys under a bumper etc near a surf / windsurf spot! I personally know 5 people who have had their cars nicked from Sandbanks in Poole whilst windsurfing because of this. The thieves know people do it, watch out for them and take the car. Often the car is found minus the rest of the kit…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Car key safety at the beach’ is closed to new replies.