• This topic has 20 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Car is SORN, not insured but I am insured to drive other vehicles ………….
  • charliemort

…… on another policy – is it legal to drive it to have MOT done?

or would I need to buy one days insurance?

bikebouy
    Free Member

IIRC, you can drive to and from your nominated MOT station..

IIRC 😉

sssimon
    Free Member

no, it should be trailered, if it’s sorned it has no tax either so the only way to legally drive it would be if you had trade insurance and a trade plate

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rich_s

Unlikely. Usually have an exclusion to say “vehicles not owned or hired by you”.

andermt
    Free Member

You can drive to an MOT station without an MOT or TAX but it must be insured.

The 3rd party any other vehicle extension to a policy usually states that the car must be insured independently.

TheFlyingOx

Depends on the wording of your other policy. I’ve had policies that only allowed me to drive a different car if there was already an insurance policy for that car in place, whereas my current policy has no such stipulation.

Other than that, either trailer it, 1 day insurance, or get the MOT place to pick it up.

hot_fiat

The mot MUST be pre-booked before you set off. And yes the car must (usually) be covered by another policy before the third party clause takes effect.

butcher

Depends on the wording of your other policy. I’ve had policies that only allowed me to drive a different car if there was already an insurance policy for that car in place

I think this is generally the case. i.e. the car must be insured by someone. Otherwise your own insurance won’t cover it.

edlong
    Free Member

I’ve always wondered about that “not owned by you” clause in policies that cover you third party for other vehicles – I know a few people who’ve reckoned, over the years, they could get around this between a couple. e.g.

I own a car, it’s insured, my wife is a named driver on it, the policy covers the holder (me) to drive something else, third party (ignoring for the sake of argument the “otherwise insured” thing). A second vehicle is bought, and registered in my wife’s name. As “I” don’t own it, can I drive it under the third party provision on my existing policy?

I’d have thought that the registered keeper being my spouse would not be good enough in this, given joint assets etc, I would expect that it was legally owned by “us” but others have reckoned different and I’ve always wondered…

charliemort

ermm yes I know you can drive without MOT to get MOT done

clearly the insurance is more the issue

hot_fiat

Really, for a definitive answer you either need to check your policy, or phone your insurance company. Of the three car and one motorbike policies I have, all state that I’m covered third party on another vehicle so long as there is a valid policy covering that vehicle. I think the law may have changed when continual insurance came into force.

sandwicheater

NO. Car must already be insured.

thorlz
    Free Member

I would double check your policy before you do, I believe Sandwicheater to be correct.

Normaly if your fully comp you can drive another person’s vehicle, with 3rd party only insurance if

a) you have the correct licence to do so (which you do)

and

b) the vehicle is already insured (normally by the owner).

A friend of mine got caught out by this year’s ago. He borrowed a friends unused motorbike, believing he was insured on his own policy. He was stopped by the police and then successfully prosecuted for driving without insurance.
    His friend had no insurance on the bike, as such his own was then void and he was therefore uninsured.

WackoAK
    Free Member

NO. Car must already be insured.

^This, not worth the risk as APR cameras will generally catch an uninsured vehicle.

andyl
    Free Member

As others have suggested the car needs to be directly covered by a specific policy.

Tax and mot are not an issue as long as you pre-book the car in and make sure you remind them on the day and they have off road parking. Garage on Hampton road in Bristol (redland) screed me up by parking my work car on a street round the corner from their garage after tue mot and it was clamped and I got into T double.

I told them at the first time of booking it was sorn’ed so they could make a note in their diary but their excuse was I didn’t remind them on the day. Must be a very observant mot inspector who fails to notice the lack of tax disc in the window! To really tale the pee their off road mot spaces in front of the garage were empty when I got there.

Only other way round it would be trade insurance with trade plates etc.

annebr
    Free Member

I thought you need insurance on a vehicle even if it is SORNed.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Find a closer MOT station. Do not kill any baby robins on your way there and back.

maccruiskeen

own a car, it’s insured, my wife is a named driver on it, the policy covers the holder (me) to drive something else, third party (ignoring for the sake of argument the “otherwise insured” thing). A second vehicle is bought, and registered in my wife’s name. As “I” don’t own it, can I drive it under the third party provision on my existing policy?

The car has to be insured by its owner to be on the road legally, and then the driver would also have to have adequate insurance to be the one driving it if they weren’t a named driver on the owner’s policy – so in your for-instance there would would have to be two insurance policies in place.

nickgti
    Free Member

for you to be insured 3rd party on another vehicle it can’t be in your name. I.e is has to be someone else’s car with there permission.

simmy
    Free Member

Also check the status of the insurance should the car fail and you want to drive it home for repairs.

I had a car that I was doing up and, when I asked the insurance about being insured for a prebooked MOT, they said fine as long as it passes. I thought they were taking the mick but they insisted it could be driven there but couldn’t leave under its own steam without a valid MOT.

Apparently its because an MOT fail means its not roadworthy. That’s not to say its roadworthy on the way there when they allowed it to be insured……

andyl
    Free Member

The car has to be insured by its owner to be on the road legally

no it doesn’t. I own all the cars in our household but my GF is the policy holder on one as she is the main driver. There must be a policy covering the vehicle directly but it doesnt have to be the owner who takes it out. Obviously you must have the owners permission to drive the car and it’s an offence to take out a second policy on any car.

I had a car that I was doing up and, when I asked the insurance about being insured for a prebooked MOT, they said fine as long as it passes. I thought they were taking the mick but they insisted it could be driven there but couldn’t leave under its own steam without a valid MOT.

that may be their policy but that is not the case in the law. You are allowed to drive directly to and from a pre-booked MOT or pre-booked place of repair (and not just ‘your mates house’). Only exception is if the car is deemed too dangerous to be on the road by the MOT inspector in which case the repairs must be carried out there or the car trailered away.

Obviously check this first on the .gov.uk site but that is what I remember.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Car is SORN, not insured but I am insured to drive other vehicles ………….’ is closed to new replies.