Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • car insurance will it pay out????
  • showerman
    Free Member

Mate cleaning the windows on his XC90 this morning engine running scally jumps in and drives off with the motor. big question now is will his insurance pay up 😕

topper

My GUESS is no.

luke
    Free Member

depends how it's worded to the insurance company

spooky_b329

He had a knife…honest…I had to give him the keys.

Probably his best bet.

I reckon the real story was car was left warming up whilst mate was inside with a cup of coffee…

vinnyeh

Is this for real? Where did it happen?
    To answer the question though, yes, should do. Most policies specify that the vehicle must be attended if running/keys in etc. If you leave it at a petrol pump to pay, that's unattended. Cleaning the windscreen is attended.

Big-M
    Free Member

Interesting one this, I'm sure that until recently the insurance company would have said no but I'm sure I read an article about this in the last couple of weeks…..I'll try and find it.

topper

Of the top of me head like,i think it's an offence to have the engine running and not be sat in the driving seat, whilst on a public highway.

Big-M
    Free Member

linky

here you go this should help your mate…good luck

steveh

Depends what he told the police/waht happened. If he's stood by his car cleaing the windows he's got a reasonable chance. If he'd gone in to get de icer, water (or just to leave it) very unlikely.

You could argue it's reasonable to start your car while cleaning windows.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'd guess, from a purely unqualified point of view, that it's going to be a NO! because insurance companies are trying all ways to void policies at the moment, and since it's illegal to have it running while you're not in control of it (AFAIK) hes on dodgy ground (though that doesnt automatically void your insurance).

showerman
    Free Member

was on the drive, we all do it but what gets me is why can we not leave anything these days without someone making off with it.

steveh

If the car was on the drive and he wasn't on the drive, no chance.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Most likely not .. unless there was threat of violence.

Wasn't in the drivers seat with the engine running, then wasn't in control of the vehicle.

midlifecrashes

My guess is yes, if he was in the vicinity and in view.

Full report of Ombudsman, p23 onward of this linky
    (biggish pdf)

Ombudsman reports

Drac

The car was on the drive and he was cleaning the screen but some how they jumped in the driver seat then drove off before he could do anything and also not be hit.

Ok I believe him. 😕

MoreCashThanDash

Drac and midlifecrashes sum up my position – though it's a few years now since I was a Claims Manager.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘car insurance will it pay out????’ is closed to new replies.