• This topic has 35 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by bubs.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Car insurance??! what the bloody hell?
  • Pook

How come it’s gone up £200 everywhere i look? No change since last year but this is crazy

Harry_the_Spider

Phone ’em up. I got a couple of hundred knocked off by just having a word.

simmy
    Free Member

Mines gone up 25% and nothing’s changed.

I’ve rung round and my renewal is the best price by far. Seems it’s just gone up for no reason.

falkirk-mark

I got charged £40 for cancelling it 2 weeks before it was due up for renewal, wish I had just let it run out now (knew the car was insured as it was transferred to our youngest)

munkyboy
    Free Member

Yup same here. some government policy changed I think that put all the prices up

matt_outandabout

Same here – I’m up from £160/190 last year to £250/300 this year.

chewkw
    Free Member

They started increasing last year for no apparently reason, while mine just let me stay with the same rate even with increase ncb.

munkyboy – Member
    Yup same here. some government policy changed I think that put all the prices up

Any link to this information coz I want to know the reasons behind the increase.

matt_outandabout – Member
    Same here – I’m up from £160/190 last year to £250/300 this year.

Crikey that’s about 57% increase …

Rich_s
    onehundredthidiot

Oh joy a self perpetuating cycle of rising costs.

More people won’t be insured which will drive up costs pushing up premiums which means more people won’t……..

Jamie
    Free Member

Mine jumped this year with Aviva. They’d been great for previous 5 years. Despite always checking elsewhere, they were always cheaper. This year it went up £150. All others were similar. For some reason Tesco were still about what I was previously paying so went with them.

Shop around OP, is the moral I guess.

chewkw
    Free Member

Rich_s – Member

Just imagine there was a thing called the Internet you could ask…

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/financial-services/insurance/car-insurance/why-has-my-car-insurance-gone-up/amp/

Thanks for the information …

I am paying £430 but if mine is to increase by 60% (to £688) then that will be costly … aarrgghhh …

Based on the information above on how they calculate the premium, a large European 18 wheeler recently smashed into the back of a Yaris outside my flat. I tried to alert the European driver to no avail … smashed straight into the back of parked empty Yaris. Sound like an explosion with hardly any scratch to 18 wheeler at all … Yaris is a total loss. … damn. 😮

edit: Spoke to the European 18 wheeler after the accident, who just looked at the car then said he would report to the Police … ya right … then drove off. I ended up spending the evening explaining to the police as witness … 🙄

matt_outandabout

Crikey that’s about 57% increase

😆

To be fair, I’ve paid £150/160 since 2009… And that is for 25k with business miles for both of us on both cars…

chewkw
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member
    😆

To be fair, I’ve paid £150/160 since 2009… And that is for 25k with business miles for both of us on both cars… I bet you are lucky with your postcode etc … 😯

falkirk-mark

Rich_s I am aware of that but I knew the car was insured in my daughters name (it cost me enough) ie it would have been insured twice (not sold uninsured to a stranger).

Rich_s

Sorry, I didn’t have time last night to complete what I was going to say.

What if (for whatever reason) your daughter’s policy isn’t valid and your’s is still running? Your’s would pay, and the insurer is entitled to recover from you.

Also, if both policies are active and she has a claim, both policies will respond under the rule of contribution; the portion of the claim that is “yours” would also be recovered from you…

A very bad idea! So are cancellation fees 😉

cardo

Just got a better deal with Aviva for the van at just over £400 with RAC breakdown assist. My existing insurer had increased it by 20% to £600 with no b/down cover etc. Despite no claims or changes. When I asked them why the iNcrease they blamed it on the government 6% increase in the tax which they levy on each policy.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Just had the fun of changing car in the middle of the year.
    Chaing from 05 reg Xsara Picasso to a 60 reg Peugeot 5008 – same engine and power. Bit of a value difference, but still not expensive.
    Current insurance was with RAC for £37/month.
    For the new car they wanted to increase to £71/month! Or if we started a new 12 month policy it would be £49/month.
    Spoke with the wife, agreed to go for the 12 months, rang up – oh no, it wouldn’t be £600 total, it’d be £780 – that’s not £49 a month, that’s £65!
    Told them to do one and cancelled it (£55 thankyou very much).
    So, new insurance time – compared some meerkats and Admiral came out cheapest at £412 for the year. Went to Confused – same spec on everything – Admiral came out cheapest again, but £320 for the year (bit more for monthly)!
    So, turns out cheaper than the current RAC policy and I’ve only lost about 4 months no claims time.
    But…..I don’t get my Luke Skywalker meerkat.
    Lesson is, don’t stick with you current insurer if you change car with plenty of the year left on your policy. And, don’t only use one comparison site.

Del

give direct line a go. have found them to be very good over the past few years. prices have fluctuated a bit, but just in the noise really.

a11y

23% increase in my renewal – no changes to circumstances despite an extra year NCD.

votchy
    Free Member

Mine has gone up massively this year too and a quick trawl through the comparison sites has saved me £200. The thing that I have an issue with is how are insurance companies allowed to send you a renewal price then when you call them to cancel they always do the ‘lets see what I can do’ thing and miraculously reduce the premium, why is this not illegal as if they can reduce premiums when called they are obtaining money under false pretences if you automatically renew?

edward2000
    Free Member

My only convictions are an SP30 which drops off in December. I’ve never ever claimed or been in an accident. My car insurance is £1600.

jimdubleyou

they are obtaining money under false pretences if you automatically renew?

Call it a laziness tax.

bails

miraculously reduce the premium, why is this not illegal as if they can reduce premiums when called they are obtaining money under false pretences if you automatically renew

Seriously?

Daffy

Mine is around 10% more expensive this year..£22ish

flaps
    Free Member

Once you get past 9 I think no extra NCD makes any difference.

tonyg2003

There were some reports in the news last year saying that due to a ruling of unlimited compensation in car accidents that premiums would go up substantially. Looks like it’s happening.

Mine went up £100 but that’s not bad for a two car policy on two high insurance group cars.

jon1973
    Free Member

miraculously reduce the premium, why is this not illegal as if they can reduce premiums when called they are obtaining money under false pretences if you automatically renew

People need to check these things and take responsibility. You should get a notification with the renewal premium about month before it expires. You should be checking it anyway to make sure all the details are correct.

Of course they’re going to try it on, because they know people are lazy / forgetful. They’re running a business and trying to maximise their profits in a very competitive industry.

I don’t see how it’s ‘obtaining money under false pretences’. They made an offer of insurance at a price and you accepted by not responding. You can always ask them not to auto-renew when you take the policy out, but I suspect the same people will then be driving around without insurance and blaming the insurance company when they get caught claiming they didn’t know it had lapsed.

wilburt
    Free Member

1) Ogden ruling increases the payout to people with serious injuries and 2) Increased Insurance Premium Tax. 3) Claims inflation.

After that its the continual refinement of risk assessments for your postcode and driving history. Theres also a lot of anti fraud activity that may impact anyone with unusual circumstances.

Its also become a legal requirement for your last years premium to be shown on your renewal offer. This is to prompt you to shop around and use the market. Which I would certainly do if my premiums were high.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Tesco sent me my renewal documents this morning and the price had gone up by over £200. I went onto Compare The Market and the cheapest quote on there was nearly £250 less than the renewal. Guess who the quote was from? Yep, Tesco 🙄

20 minutes on the phone and my new policy is cheaper than last years’s, even with added protection on my NCD.

cp

Mine’s cheaper too this year, as was the other half’s. Must have got lucky!

bubs

Ogden discount rate change from 2.5% to -0.75% in February (Gov’t decision) adds approximately £75 to an ‘average’ policy but considerably more for younger drivers due to the period over which the discount rate would be applied (future life expectancy). Insurance companies are still challenging the decision.

poly
    Free Member

bubs – Member
    Ogden discount rate change from 2.5% to -0.75% in February (Gov’t decision) adds approximately £75 to an ‘average’ policy but considerably more for younger drivers due to the period over which the discount rate would be applied (future life expectancy). Insurance companies are still challenging the decision.

Eh? The age of the driver has essentially nothing to do with the size of the compensation payout (with or without any Ogden effect) to the injured. The driver will not be elegible for any payout for “self inflicted” injury. The cost of compensation when a 5 yr old gets hit crossing the road whether they were hit by an 18 yr old or an 81 yr old. So if younger drivers are being stung more by this – its because the type of accidents they cause are more likely to result in long term disabilities.

CountZero

My insurance has been consistently around £180 f/c for the last few years, and I managed to keep it down to that this year, just by using the comparison sites.
    I notice Admiral are doing a combined House/car insurance now, which I might investigate next year, just to make life easier with only one payment needed.

Daffy

Eh? The age of the driver has essentially nothing to do with the size of the compensation payout (with or without any Ogden effect) to the injured.

It does, but that’s only not the reason they’re paying more. I’d imagine the the projected cost incurred by the insurer due to changes in law and tax are likely doubled (but, that’s just me being cynical) and then averaged as a percentage over the customer base on an annual basis. Younger and older drivers with higher premiums will pay the same percentage, but a higher fee. This will be attributed to risk, but the interest discount rate is uniformly applied, so the rate changes will be similarly uniformly spread.

bubs

Poly – You are quite right, my cut and paste skills failed me. There is a relationship but not as I described.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Car insurance??! what the bloody hell?’ is closed to new replies.