Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Car insurance weirdness..
  • scotroutes

Just been going through Comparethemarket to get a quote for a car that will, eventually, be my daughters. In the meantime, we’re insuring in my wifes name. She’s already running another car, so no NCD. I thought we’d just go for 3rd Party as it’ll be sitting on the driveway apart from the occasional run to make sure it’s still going. Quotes started at £170.

I then thought I’d see how much extra it would be for TPF&T, and all the quotes have gone down. Cheapest is now £124 but some have reduced by £80 or more. I thought TPO would be the cheapest option?

nealglover
    Free Member

Insurance quotes are worked out purely on actuarial data from past claims.

Each element of your details and the questions answered go to work out your premium. So there is a chance that in the past, the claims made by people who pay for TPO have been higher than those who pay for TPF&T

That would increase the premium even though it doesn’t seem logical at first.

There are a few strange anomalies when getting quotes, my insurance is 20% cheaper if I name my other half as a driver even though she is younger than me and has 3 points and a claim on her record and mine is clean.

It went down about another 7% when I named my dad as a driver so he could borrow it occasionally

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’ve had them go down even further with FC!!

andyl
    Free Member

FC are often lower and that is again due to statistical data.

If you think about it most young drivers or people who don’t give a damn about their worthless wreck used to (or maybe still do) insure TPF&T. If you have a nice car worth insuring FC then there is an argument you will be more likely tp be careful with it and I don’t need to explain the young driver one thinking about how many of my schoolmates wrote car off during 6th form!

neilc1881
    Free Member

I insure my wife’s car as mine, but with her as the named driver. The car belongs to me, and insured as me is more expensive. She has no NBC, never had her own policy, yet if I add her to my policy the premium is lower.
    6 months ago I got a pickup, thought I would try the same thing, only with her as an additional driver, this time it went up by £600! Crazy, but then I think about her driving it and in a way it makes sense 😉 (and she would be the first to admit that).
    I guess there is logic in there somewhere.

k-sugden
    Free Member

Hi try a fully comp quote with a large excess often cheaper than TPFT

martymac

i have a 2003 mondeo 2.0tdci 115bhp.
    ran a quote through for a subaru impreza wrx (218bhp) using all the same details and same level of insurance and it was over £100 cheaper than the mondeo.
    i was expecting it to go up a fair bit, its almost twice the power.

andyl
    Free Member

OH driving for just over a year. Her provisional insurance without me was £600, with me £300. Only difference was she was driving the 1.6 petrol version of my 2 litre turbo diesel. Same power etc and nore safety features on mine.

After her first year of driving alone she upgraded to my old 2 litre diesel (same car as mine now but hatch not estate).

We got a multi car quote and yet again her insurance drops significantly with me on. When I put her on mine it goes up, but oddly hers goes down.

Net result is it is only £60 more to have both of us named on each others cars then both on hers and just me on mine, only her insurance is not a lot more than mine. 1 years no claims versus 16 now. It’s all very strange.

MoreCashThanDash

Usual assumption is that you are looking for TPO then it’s because you are a really awful driver, so they ramp up the premium

nealglover
    Free Member

Usual assumption is that you are looking for TPO then it’s because you are a really awful driver, so they ramp up the premium

There is no “assumption” in insurance quotes.

They are generated by cold hard statistical analysis of the information you provide.

Eg- Married people who share a car claim less than married people who don’t share a car.
    Eg- People with children have less expensive accidents than people who don’t.

Etc etc.

The net result is possibly the same. But there is nobody making any assumptions, just a load of actuarial tables that know what’s happened in the past and generate your premium accordingly.

MoreCashThanDash

I was using the word “assumption” loosely.

Morecashthandash
    ACII, Chartered Insurer

meehaja
    Free Member

all my prospective quotes vary by no more that £50. From a VW camper to a porsche 911, via mondeo, focus, golf gti etc. And I live in the ghetto

Three_Fish
    Free Member

There is no “assumption” in insurance quotes. They are generated by cold hard statistical analysis of the information you provide.

I’m not sure that you understand the role of assumptions in statistical analysis. See here.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Car insurance weirdness..’ is closed to new replies.