Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Car insurance want £40 if I fit Alloys…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…£25 of that is admin !

Alloys being fitted will be genuine Nissan Parts !

Why on earth would they charge ?

njee20
    Free Member

Because you’re now modifying your car, which puts you in the same category as those who fit huge exhausts and neons under their Corsa, who are also more likely to be involved in an accident.

nickjb
    Free Member

They’ll charge more because the stats show cars with alloys crash more or are stolen more. They charge an over inflated admin fee because they are ****

iolo
    Free Member

The car is a Ford?
    It’s a modification. Insurers will always charge extra for modifications. Bastards.

BoardinBob

Because you’re increasing the insurable value of the car.

Alloys = more expensive to replace than steel wheels in the event of a claim

sandwicheater

Hmmmm, if it’s a Nissan optional extra and not an off the shelf mod I’d just fit it and not tell them. They don’t ask at the quote stage what options you’ve chosen when you get a car new ie the leather pack/larger alloys.

I can appreciate if it’s a mod that is not supplied by Nissan but otherwise tell them to do one.

EDIT: Oops, forgot about value. Does it make a big difference to vehicle value?

wilburt
    Free Member

Because if they dont charge you, everyone else who doesnt muck around with their car will have to pay.

wwaswas

I’d just fit it and not tell them

he’s already told them…

nickjb
    Free Member

he’s already told them…

Then phone up and say “oops, I’ve just realsied it already had alloys so I won’t need that additional premium”

nealglover
    Free Member

Alloys being fitted will be genuine Nissan Parts !
    Why on earth would they charge ?

Alloy wheels cost more than steel wheels to replace if they are damaged/stolen.

They would be paying for the replacements, so they charge you more as a result.

Simple really.

kcal

on the admin stuff, that’s what you get for chasing down premium costs. We had gone with M&S as they’d seemed cheapest, but first I mentioned that my wife no longer worked (£25 fee to update, thanks M&S) then car was scrapped, £50 fee to close early. needless to say we’re no longer with M&S, went with NFU who have real people in an office you can visit, and are great. And no admin fees.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’d go for the cheapest premium and then pay admin fees, if I need them to do any admin.

I don’t think I’ve needed to pay an admin fee in the last 24 years of being insured.

I would be annoyed if I’d effectively paid for the “free admin” up front in the form of higher premiums all that time.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Im with an ‘online only’ insurer now, on the one hand no irritating call centers.

On the other hand, no call center……………

kcal

NFU were cheaper – for the new car – than M&S as well, ng..

bigblackshed

If the wheels were an optional extra from the factory, then it will be included on the owners handbook and detailed on the car in the form of a sticker that includes all of the specification, paint code, etc. That info will then be checked against what the car actually has if it comes to an inspected claim. Write off, etc.

Even changing the radio can be classed as a modification. Your insurance “could” be invalid if you were to change the wheels and not declare it. Insurance companies are not generally known for sticking to their own made up rules. 🙄

njee20
    Free Member

If the wheels were an optional extra from the factory, then it will be included on the owners handbook and detailed on the car in the form of a sticker that includes all of the specification, paint code, etc. That info will then be checked against what the car actually has if it comes to an inspected claim. Write off, etc.

What if you buy a second hand car with Nissan alloys that weren’t factory specced? How are you supposed to know what the factory spec was? My last Golf had different wheels, still VW ones, but from the model up, I never said anything, I suspect 99% of people wouldn’t know.

Jakester
    Free Member

bigblackshed – Member
    Even changing the radio can be classed as a modification. Your insurance “could” be invalid if you were to change the wheels and not declare it. Insurance companies are not generally known for sticking to their own made up rules.

Much as I hate to piss on someone’s chips, it is very unlikely an insurer would get away with declining a claim for, say, a road traffic collision because the insured failed to declare that they’d changed their radio. ICOBS rules (that govern the sale of general insurance) mean that for an insurer to decline a consumer claim, there has to be a connection between the alleged breach of policy condition, and the loss.

If the new radio caught fire and burnt the car out, that may well be sufficient. In the OP’s case, the extra premium could be because according to their automated underwriting system, cars with aftermarket wheels are more likely to crash.

Insurance companies are heavily regulated and are required both by law and their regulator to adhere to very stringent rules about claims handling.

njee20
    Free Member

Much as I hate to piss on someone’s chips, it is very unlikely an insurer would get away with declining a claim for, say, a road traffic collision because the insured failed to declare that they’d changed their radio. ICOBS rules (that govern the sale of general insurance) mean that for an insurer to decline a consumer claim, there has to be a connection between the alleged breach of policy condition, and the loss.

I imagine that’s why he said “could”, in inverted commas, because by the letter of the policy he’s right, but in reality yes they’d not get away with that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

that sounds ok …..

i took off the destroyed corroded unusable alloys on my car and fitted new steel wheels……

told the insurance and they refused to insure me as it was modifed.

BLOODY MENTAL !

amedias
    Free Member

I once had a similar discussion with an insurer a few years back about removing alloys and fitting steels on my battered old 20 year old Hilux, they wanted to charge me more for the downgrade as it was now modified!

At the time I had two sets of wheels, one with road tyres on alloys and one with muds on steel, I was just about to get a new set of road tyres and it was cheaper to get them on a new set of steels than have the existing ones removed and new fitted, so that then led into a discussion about if I should inform them everytime I swapped wheels, (once or twice a month at the time for events), woman on phone said yes I had to tell them and it would be an admin fee each time!

I asked them if they also considered all the bits of exterior trim and bodywork that had been removed by a combination of trees, rocks and other immovable objects as modifications, the woman on the phone said “yes, if it’s different to factory spec then it counts as modified”

Suffice it to say I moved to a more sensible and accomodating insurer.

spooky_b329

One of our insurance company’s claim that even additional options at purchase should be declared?!

I also heard that a towbar is a modification, though I haven’t as the basic legally required 3rd party cover includes damage caused by a trailer.

MoreCashThanDash

The value is a complete red herring. The extra premium is because statistics show cars that are modded are more likely to be stolen, and drivers who modify cars are more likely to have accidents. The admin fee is just a general “because they can” charge.

As already stated, non-disclosure like this could only be used to avoid claims if it was material, that’s been the case for years, even when I was still claims handling. Always handy for getting out of those cases where you were 99.9% sure it’s a fraudulent claim but can’t quite prove it though.

chewkw
    Free Member

They are bandits and a racket as far as I know.

Everything can be considered as modification if they want to get anal with you on their bad day.

My radio antenna has broken in someway so if I get a different made that will be considered as modification …

😡

Rubber_Buccaneer

Two words for you, uberrima fides

trail_rat
    Free Member

im going agreed value on my next modified motor – as the mods list is about the length of this thread…..

only downside i can see to this is that they want it garaged when at home.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Alloys, now they is what’s missin in me life.

Jakester
    Free Member

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member

Two words for you, uberrima fides

Six words for you: Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Car insurance want £40 if I fit Alloys…’ is closed to new replies.