Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Car insurance quotery trickery…
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

Two weeks ago I went on the comparison sites to get my car insured. Made a mental note of the cheapest quote and forgot about it as I was skint at the time.

Come back to it today, intending to buy, and the old quote has expired and gone up by £300. No circumstances have changed so must be some jiggery-pokery on their behalf. Is it because they have my details saved or something? How can I defeat them?

Cheers.

ninfan
    Free Member

did you get a quote emailed at the time?

Should be valid for 28 days.

could be worth clearing cookies and trying alternate email address

jambourgie
    Free Member

Yeah, looks like it was only valid for 45 seconds or something.

nedrapier

sure you didn’t miss something? like excess? Or a digit in your postcode that puts you somewhere riskier? Car definitely still the same?

ampthill

My Meerkats quotes seemed stable up until I clicked (several weeks later)

I hate be cheeky but did the old insurance lapse? I wonder if they can spot that

My apologies if I’m barking up the wrong tree

jambourgie
    Free Member

Kind of. My old motor was pinched and burnt out. I got a new car sorted (off road) but only just got round to getting it insured.

Maybe in the interim between the quotes my old insurance company have blacklisted me as a ‘claimer’ or something.

What do you mean by “lapse”? The policy did end prematurely because my van was destroyed. But I’d already paid the premium in one go ages before.

PePPeR

They’ll know, you’re now higher risk since you’ve had to make a claim!

jambourgie
    Free Member

But I’d declared that on the original quote.

Sorcery I tell you!

br
    Free Member

No, pretty normal based on when we was looking for my sons’ car insurance.

wilburt
    Free Member

Its cheaper when you buy in advance, closer to the time marks you out as feckless and unreliable.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Really? Are you joking? 🙂

Just fancied a razz out tonight. I’ll try for Monday then. Maybe they think I’m desperate…

jambourgie
    Free Member

Bloody hell, you’re right!

Just crunched the numbers again and I’ve got my £300 back 😀

Nice one wilburt. Thanks.

‘The Pub’ I think…

simmy
    Free Member

Adrian Flux do this.

They quoted me for the Van and, when I came to insure it, it went up about £200.

Apparently they are ” live ” quotes. To me all insurance companies are thieves in suits.

I still insured with Adrian Flux as they were still the cheapest but its naughty.

ampthill

When I said lapse I meant that maybe they thought you were owned a car that was uninsured car

Not the case but could it have looked like it to them

shuhockey
    Free Member

Not sure where i read this but you should use the incognito mode on your browser when getting quotes, so it doesn’t record your visit, as they will increase the price if you return for another quote.

clubby

Similar happened to me, but smaller rise.
    Got quote based an expected delivery of car, but it arrived 3 weeks early and had to get insurance at 2 days notice. At least it was only an extra £40.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Mine ran out last week. I called the other day after doing a meerkatty search and some bunch came up with a quote 250 quid cheaper than what I was paying (450ish)

I called up AF and they dropped to get fairly close to what the best quote was so I stayed with them to save all the hassle as I insure more than one vehicle with them.

arcing
    Free Member

If your price changes significantly for a specific company then that probably tells your something about them.
    I can tell a few facts from our perspective as one of the top 10 insurers.

Quotes on the aggregators will be valid for about 28 days. If you leave it for 27 days before buying the price won’t increase unless your situation has changed.
    We certainly give you the most accurate price we possibly can. It’s inevitable that there is sometimes some movement, but this is generally down to differences in how insurance companies and the aggregators lookup your details. Should only be a few quid up or down.
    Getting a quote one day before your renewal date would not penalise you. We wouldn’t rate differently because you’re less organised.

wilburt
    Free Member

You are mixing quote validity( that is how long a quote to start on a certain date is valid) and difference in premiums for policies that start on different dates. Your aggregator quote above for a policy to start next week isn’t valid for 28 days, after that proposed date a new one is required which may well give a different premium and if the start date is closer to today than the original it will most likely be higher.

Moral of the story, know when your renewal/purchase date is due, get the quotes as long as you can in advance and accept it close to the time to keep the money in your bank but don’t change the start date unless it’s unavoidable.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Car insurance quotery trickery…’ is closed to new replies.