Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Car insurance question – no claims bonus
  • rascal
    Free Member

We have a car registered in my name with DVLA.
    Insured in my name with the wife as the extra named driver.

Just bought another car so now have 2 – both in my name.
    Getting insurance quotes for newer car tonight and it came to light that my 9-plus years NCB can only be used on one car, so new car insurance is pricey as my NCB is irrelevant on this car. Same deal – me as named driver with wife secondary.

The first car is effectively her car now as she drives it more than me.
    To get the cost of the second car insurance down can I swap the first car insurance so she is the main diver and therefore using her NCB…meaning my NCB could be ‘activated’ for the new car to bring the insurance cost down? Is it that simple?

I hope that makes sense.

If not that easy, is it a case of changing the ownership of the first car with the DVLA?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Kind of except that with most companies your wife as a named driver has zero ncb so policy will be pricy anyway. But long term its the best way to go.

Remember and put the car in her name too with dvla ….makes things less complicated for getting insurance.

rascal
    Free Member

She’s built up her own NCB as she had her own car until quite recently.
    She’d have her NCB on car one, me on car two…I’ll phone and clarify with the 2 companies I’ve had quotes off.

hot_fiat

Bro in law somehow wangled transferring the ncb from my sister to him.

You could always consider registering either car with her as the registered keeper? You’d then be free to transfer her ncb to wherever.

There is no database of drivers and history of ncb*. As a result some insurance companies never check ncb status. You may be lucky.

*no the MIB database does not do this, merely which vehicles are insured and any record of fraud.

andyl
    Free Member

If she is the main driver of that car then she should be the policy holder with you as a named driver.

If you own the car and are not named on it but are driving it under 3rd party cover from your insurance on your other car you may get in trouble. But I am not sure if that is if you are deemed to be the main driver of it and not your wife as it’s in place to stop people insuring a crapper in their name and a high powered car in a lower risk family members name to cheat the insurance. If you are not the main driver it may not apply.

I own and am the registered keeper of all the cars in our household. OH is the policy holder of the car she normally drives with me as named, I am the main driver of the car I normally use with her named. Both for business use as well as private and commuting – ie we have everything covered so neither of us is driving under 3rd party and we can use either for any purpose.

wilburt
    Free Member

NCB is transferable between husband and wife a letter or email may be required but there’s not normally a problem. There is actually several companies now offering ncb database look ups to insurers and companies who don’t chase for proof when you take up a policy may well do should you claim.

Not sure the op actually has a problem though, you can both insurer each other’s cars regardless of ownership and you both have ncb?

rascal
    Free Member

Andyl…I’m not trying to scam/do anything dodgy here….a genuine question.

The first car (Ceed) is registered under my name…but she will now be the main driver as I have a newer, much more powerful Golf which is also in my name with the DVLA.
    It makes sense to make her the policy holder on the Ceed and me a named/secondary driver.
    Vice versa on the Golf – she’ll only drive it on rare occasions. I just want to know if doing this will mean we’re using both lots of NCB….therefore keeping cost of cover down on both cars.
    It makes sense to change Ceed ownership with the DVLA I guess but will only do that if A) I have to legally and B) it’s the only way of making both NCB count.

andyl
    Free Member

Sorry, wasn’t accusing you. Just warning you (or anyone else with a similar problem) to make sure you don’t fall foul of any anti-fronting regulations (laws?). I gathered from your first post she will be the main driver on the older car hence you wanting to put it in her name.

oh and you will probably be frustrated by how cheap her insurance is.

OH had insurance that was only £50 more than me despite only just passing her test when I have 17 years no claims!

rascal
    Free Member

Just called one of the companies who quoted….confirmed I just need to swap wife to be policy holder on the Ceed (she’ll be the main driver) – this will allow 2 x NCB to be utilised. No need to change ownership of Ceed with DVLA…sounds good in theory.
    Now need to see if Ceed insurers are going to be nice or awkward about it 😕

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Car insurance question – no claims bonus’ is closed to new replies.