• This topic has 28 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Car insurance for teenage daughter
  • Cheezpleez

My 17 year old daughter’s passed her test and we’re trying to get her insured. Jeebus! The cheapest quote for the car she learnt in (Peugeot 307) was £9k – but only once she’s 19. So now we’re looking at cars in the lowest insurance brackets (eg Polo 999cc) and the cheapest quote I’ve found so far is £1800 with one of those black boxes.

Anyone got any tips?

bradley
    Free Member

I’m 19 and paying £1100 for a 1.8 Vectra…I did pay £2400 for a 1.6 Focus at one point. You just gotta accept it isn’t cheap for a couple of years. Try putting mum on the policy too.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Pass plus can knock a good percentage off of insurance costs.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Try full comp quotes too, it’s often cheaper

And everyone and their dog on the policy

It’s either that or accept it’s not worth the expense and get a motorbike and CBT, 100mpg, £15 tax and £200 insurance got me through 6th form.

PrinceJohn

Have a look at admiral multicar…

Tracey

Another one for Admiral multicar. Was the only way we could get Katie aged 17 insured at a reasonable ? cost with a Fiat 500 in March. Had to put all three cars with them. We put her through Pass Plus but it made no difference to cost

Cheezpleez

Thanks for the replies everyone. Tried Admiral – it came out at 450 without my daughter and 2800 with. Gulp.

Best so far is with direct line at about 1500. Even getting one of those black boxes doesn’t seem to make a difference.

trail_rat
    Free Member

smee , pass plus these days is pumping insurance UP according to the young lads in the workshop who did it.

guess statistics now say that those doing pass plus still have just as many accidents as those who dont.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Drive without insurance

sargey

Just bought a vw up for wife and 17 year old to share,3 cylinder 998cc engine no road tax and insurance for both fully comp 1340 with churchill with protected no claims.

mightymule
    Free Member

Little Miss Mule pays about £1200 for a Ford Ka, on a provisional licence. Not sure who with though.

bubs

Drive like a girl might be worth a look if you are happy to have a telematic box fitted.

Tracey

We paid £700 for Katie with Tesco when she was learning. Went up to £4300 when she passed her test. Just over £2000 for three cars on multicar with Admiral

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

My daughter started in a 1.4 polo of £500 value with Admiral. Was £1100 until she passed and then went to £1400 TPFT. We then went to Bell ( same company ) for the following year. She is now 19 and has a 1.6 Focus Zetec and is £650 a year fully comp with Admiral again. Both me and the wife on the policy too. Limited mileage helps to lower premiums. Black box’s dont make any difference and because she ,at the time worked for Next when not at Uni, meant she would leave early for the sales etc.
    It is a nightmare, but think outside the box as well. Most younger drivers have fiestas, corsas, Polo’s etc. The insurance look at statistics and see that Polos driven by a teenager has a higher risk of an accident that a Hyundai I10 etc.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

don’t get her a car,…simple

smatkins1
    Free Member

Put you on as a named driver!

large418
    Free Member

My lads insurance last year (19th birthday, just passed test) was 2300, it went down to £1800 by adding his gran to the policy (even though she would never drive the car). This year it’s gone down to £700 with “Insure the Box” and he drives quite well (you amass extra miles on the policy through good driving). This is all on a 1100cc Fiat Panda.

Cheezpleez

Thanks all. I’ll try cutting back mileage to the minimum and see what happens

llama

£800 from coop young driver insurance on a 1.4 vw lupo, quoted day after passing test

With a tracker

The tracker may bother you but not me as (1) I am a boring driver and (2) you get to see that she isn’t driving like a fool

jambalaya
    Free Member

Quinn. Was by a mile the cheapest when my eldest passed and she is still with them 7 years later with the other two as named drivers. TPFT for us on a 1.3 Yaris.

MrOvershoot

Often hear of massive numbers from mates at work on insuring their kids, worst I remember was £23000 on a Clio!!

& to think I insured a 3.0 litre Capri for £300 @ 20 and thought it was expensive 😮

llama

Was with as before she passed

Phoned them after for a quote. ‘Please hold, I have to talk to my supervisor ……… Oh sorry, we won’t insure you’

chewkw
    Free Member

I have int’l license from other country then bought a car on Provisional license a Toyota 1.6 auto … the cheapest insurance for the 1st year was 2K plus then dropped to 1K last year. Now that I got a proper UK license … I am just keeping my fingers crossed that it will be less than £800 this year. I checked insurance on the web and the cheapest given to me was £700 two months ago. Fully comp and 8,000 miles per year.

somafunk

Just put her on your policy as a named driver, i take it she will be sharing the family car?, otherwise there’s no easy way out of spending a small fortune if my mates kids and their extortinate insurance quotes are anything to go by.

Insurance seems to a complete rip-off at the moment, compared to what a mates kids pay in the states for their 400bhp gas guzzlers anyway, Back in 1993 at the age of 21 i insured a Lancia Delta hf Integrale for £500ish fully comp – i imagine it would be impossible to insure such a car these days for someone so young.

nickdavies

Tip: Don’t move to Birmingham. I’m still paying a grand a year to insure a 1.6 diesel estate with 10 years no claims, no points, convictions or accidents ever, and its in a locked underground car park overnight with CCTV.

chewkw
    Free Member

nickdavies – Member

Tip: Don’t move to Birmingham. I’m still paying a grand a year to insure a 1.6 diesel estate with 10 years no claims, no points, convictions or accidents ever, and its in a locked underground car park overnight with CCTV.

God almighty! 😯 That much! Try Aviva.

IanW
    Free Member

There are about six threads which just repeat as its previous effort drops of the top few pages, this is one.

Premiums reflect the costs of claims plus a bit of trading profit if the co’s lucky , distributed proportionate to a persons(based on segment history) likelihood to cost the fund money.

Young drivers have a habit of claiming so get the highest premiums, (would you like to cover the cost of their potential third party claims?).

Female young drivers are likely to pay more now because insurers cant charge more for males so have to split those costs equally.

Best bet for young drivers is one of the telematic schemes which give the driver a chance to prove their driving characteristics are safer than their peer group.

New schemes are coming online all the time.

Other than that I wholeheartedly agree with the comment above, if anyone is capable of getting about under their own steam it should be our young people.

Get them a bike.

Cheezpleez

Get them a bike

Brilliant! Why didn’t I think of that? 🙄

br
    Free Member

Get her a horse. 🙂

Horseboxes are cheap to insure (£120 for comp any driver over 25, £250 for any driver over 21 etc) and the 3.5t ones are just vans really so you can use them for MTBing. 😉

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Car insurance for teenage daughter’ is closed to new replies.