Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • car insurance – estimated market value
  • technicallyinept
    Free Member

I’m currently sticking in car registrations for used cars into go compare.

Without fail, the website is estimating the market value below the dealers prices.

All the car are £10K or less, 2-3 years old, with average mileages.

e.g. 2014 Peugeot 2008 £8928, go compare estimates the value at £6595

Should I be trying to haggle the dealers down to the insurance companies estimated values, or is this just another indication of insurers being the biggest rip-off merchants.

TheFlyingOx

I think as long as you don’t take the piss then just value it at what you think it’s worth. Should it be written off, the insurers have to give you “market value from a reputable dealer”, regardless of the low-ball offers they’ll try on at first.

skids
    Free Member

They do go for under £7k from dealers if you look on autotrader, so their valuations probably have some factual basis

technicallyinept
    Free Member

I’ve been pricing up cars from Perry’s, Arnold Clark, Vantage etc (and Motorpoint, who are cheaper than anywhere else). The auto generated insurance valuations are always a lot less.

When my 17 year old Almera rusted away I bought a 10 year old (low mileage) MK5 golf which has turned out to be pile of crap (currently needs £350 spending on it) so I want rid of it soonish.

I’m just trying to figure out if all used cars from main dealers are overpriced and it’s worth trying to haggle.

Rich_s

You’re trying to decide who is the most trustworthy between a car dealer and an insurance company? Good luck with that. For bonus points, try adding solicitors, estate agents and Piers Morgan into the mix.

FWIW a friend of mine just bought a car from Motorpoint, and the WBAC valuation as a trade-in (before haggling, but it is immaculate) was higher than he paid.

slackboy

The insurance Market value is what a dealer would buy it off? you for, not the replacement cost should you need to buy a new one.

It’s worth using it as a tactic to get a few quid off.

I recently sold a car to a dealer for £2400. It’s up for sale for £5k.

Whatcar car valuation is a good source to find out what price to expect buying from a dealer.

Rich_s

The insurance Market value is what a dealer would buy it off? you for, not the replacement cost should you need to buy a new one.

Er, no!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Depends if it’s new for old cover, which is unlikely unless it’s only a year old. Even then new for old isn’t necessarily what it says on the tin http://blog.gapinsurance.co.uk/index.php/2015/02/23/the-perils-of-new-for-old-cover/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘car insurance – estimated market value’ is closed to new replies.