Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Car Insurance – Broken Bones
  • r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Afternoon chaps,

I took a nasty tumble last Friday, had surgery for a plate and 8 pins in my collarbone the following day. I’m now back at home and feel pretty good considering.

Just a thought re driving – am I insured to do so as soon as I feel able? I’m with Hastings at the moment. I intend to ring and ask them but I’m just worried they’ll give me a “No way sunshine, not for another 826 weeks” or something equally as bad.

I’ve not been told that I can’t drive by anyone.

Anyone else been in a similar position with broken bones?

Thanks

jairaj

My insurance company said to follow doctors advice. If the doctor said I was fit to drive then they were happy with it. But they didn’t require any written proof unless there was a claim being made.

wwaswas

With my hip it was when the physio said it was ok (basically if I could hop on the ‘broken’ leg and nothing fell off I was ok to drive).

I’d talk to your gp or when at fracture clinic. Is break on the side the belt sits?

brooess
    Free Member

I’m recovering from a broken wrist and still wearing a splint when I’m out of the house – which would make it difficult to drive, so I’ve not yet got back in my car.
    My view is to be cautious
    a) if you don’t explicitly have written go-ahead from either the consultant or GP, or physio, then your insurance company may use this as a way to refuse to pay a claim
    b) someone else’s insurer may seek to reduce their liability by suggesting contributory negligence on your part if you don’t have a written note to cover yourself.

Put it this way – is it worth the legal and financial issues of finding out you’re not covered when a) getting note from your doctor would be really easy or b) the cost of taking taxis or asking for favours from friends and family for the next month or so are not that great a cost in the grand scheme of things…

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Just popped over to my docs (walked there :mrgreen: )

Apparently just use common sense, there is no hard and fast rule and no such letter to confirm if I can or can’t drive again. If I can drive, I can if you get my drift.

Either way I’ll play it safe. I’ve got an appointment at the fracture clinic next Tuesday so I’ll mention it to them too and see what they say.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

You must be able to control the car.

I have just had my ankle fused and will be wearing a cast on my right (accelerator and brake) foot for the next twelve weeks. I drive an auto and taught myself to drive it totally with my left foot before the operation.

What does your collar bone make it difficult / impossible to do safely?

You need to be able to use you indicators and windscreen wipers without crossing your arms over the steering wheel. Turn your lights on before you drive away each time so you don’t need to worry about them.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Well I sat in the car earlier on the drive. In terms of what’s difficult, lifting my right arm is generally difficult but more through weakness/stiffness than pain.

I can adjust my seat, hold the wheel, use windscreen wipers and lights etc. I can look left and right reasonably well too.

Sounds like I’m right as rain almost!

It’s my right collarbone so the seatbelt sits right over the wound but doesn’t aggravate it at all.

I reckon I’d be a bit slow and a three point turn for example but apart from that…

The surgeon did say that he wants me to keep weight off it for as long as possible through fear of bending the titanium plate. I don’t think driving is particularly weight bearing though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Please dont drive till you are competent as i might be out there cycling

Almost ok is , IMHO, not quite good enough

On a more practical point [ thinking only of yourself] you need to think what an emergency stop with an application of seat belt force will do to that injury

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Damn I was hoping I’d be ok to use the “Sorry officer, I didnt mean to hit the cyclist, it’s not my fault. I couldn’t turn the wheel to avoid him because I have a broken collarbone”.

Do not fear, I am intelligent. The question was geared towards the insurance aspect. The common sense aspect still prevails.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I broke my arm recently. I asked the consultant at the bone clinic the exact same question. The answer was a definite no until he has given the all clear i.e. fully healed. When I pointed out I drove myself from Antur Stiniog home then forcibly driven to A&E by ‘er indoors he wasn’t best impressed! I was bloody stupid in hindsight but honestly hadn’t realized I’d broken it, just felt damn sore.

IdleJon

Junkyard – lazarus
    Please dont drive till you are competent as i might be out there cycling

+1

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Car Insurance – Broken Bones’ is closed to new replies.