Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Car Insurance and tax due on the same date
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Anyone else get struck by this slight cockup in administration? You can't renew your tax online if you your tax and insurance are due on the same date, you either have to pay more for a 6 month tax to stagger it, or ask your insurance company to do you a 13 month policy instead (Which they don't like), so you're stuck going to the post office each time and explaining why you don't have anything but your renewal papers.

Ughhh

thomthumb
    Free Member

yep and i'm band b so can't buy 6 months. 🙄

there is another way to get round it – but it involves having no tax for a month!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'd considered the no tax for a month option and then remembered my brother got an £80 fine for taxing 2 weeks late (he forgot) so I skipped that thought. Must be a right pain if you can't do 6 month either!!? Could always be uninsured for a few days I suppose, if it's left on a drive etc, but mine's not.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Dibbs
    Free Member

Why not renew your insurance in advance, then you'll have the new policy valid from the date the old one finishes ❓

coffeeking
    Free Member

Why not renew your insurance in advance, then you'll have the new policy valid from the date the old one finishes

Apparently doesnt work that way (tried), they only put insurance policies on the database in 12 month (or similar) chunks, one at a time, so it won't go on until the last one expired, so the DVLA can't see it until it becomes active.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Re-insure on the day it comes due, re-tax a few days later. Simple and it makes no difference to when your tax starts.

As far as I can see you get about 2 weeks in which to re-tax your car before it becomes lapsed after which the tax starts at the beginning of the next month.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Doesn't work like that – if you re-tax later than the expiry date for your current tax you get fined and are driving about untaxed and liable to be pulled – my brother was only 9 days late when he got fined? I spoke to the DVLA and they confirmed there was no way around it other than those I outlined above.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Well I can tell you that I have taxed up to two weeks after the end of the month and each time the web site has shown the tax as 'About to expire' – after two weeks it shows the tax as 'Expired'.
    I'd be very surprised if you got done for being one or two days out of tax (especially given the circumstances), but I'm not surprised your bro got done 9 days late.
    You could always renew your tax online a week early, the new tax just starts when the old one runs out.

leahstaff
    Free Member

If you dont need the car for a while why not SORN it for a month, renew your insurance and then you'll have a 1 month stager between insurance and tax

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Car Insurance and tax due on the same date’ is closed to new replies.