Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Car Insurance advice – 18 year old son
  • drummer
    Free Member

Hi
    So my lad has bought a 1.2 Clio and wants to insure it so I can teach him to drive in it
    He can’t get a quote under £3000
    Any advice or broker recommendations please ?

treaclesponge
    Free Member

You could try Adrian Flux, they seem quite good with younger drivers, however its going to be super pricey wherever if he doesn’t have a full license. Good on him for wanting it himself, its the path to no claims bonus and marginally cheaper driving!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Insure it with a short term learner policy maybe.
    We used http://www.collingwoodlearners.co.uk/

banks
    Free Member

To be frank, sell the clio. Big mistake, you’ll be lucky to get under 2.5k for years. He’ll need something different from all the other young drivers. Classic cars have the cheapest insurance or something like a land rover 110 as owners don’t usually claim for small stuff…

crashbanggg
    Free Member

My younger brother is currently using http://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/learner-driver-insurance?gclid=CMmS2MHnr7oCFVDItAodbXoAJA to insure him as a learner, which seems fairly cheap whilst he’s learning. Though I found ‘elephant’ insurance to be the cheapest when I was looking for my first car, and this may sound obvious, but it massively reduced my quotes when I added both my parents as named drivers!

Edit: I’m currently insuring a 1.8 Vw Scirocco with elephant for £950 at 19, which seems pretty good!

Tracey

We had the same problem with Katie when she was 17 with a 1.4 Fiat 500. Quotes were even more once she passed her test. Ended up with Admiral on a multicar cover which still wasnt cheap. Also kept the annual milage down.

SidewaysTim

To be frank, sell the clio. Big mistake, you’ll be lucky to get under 2.5k for years. He’ll need something different from all the other young drivers. Classic cars have the cheapest insurance or something like a land rover 110 as owners don’t usually claim for small stuff…

Sadly no longer true. Most classic will only work if the driver has access to another car and as far as Defenders go, they’re worse that a lot of the more common shit boxes that kids drive around in. Corsa’s are actully pretty cheap, as are Ford Ka’s, Citroen C1, etc.

We have my 18yo daughter as a named driver on our Defender and that’s £1600. She only uses the car occasionally and pays the difference from what it was just for me and the wife (£225)

The policy didn’t increase when she passed her test though, that’s with someone called Fresh (no I hadn’t heard of them either).

Gary_M
    Free Member

You want to get something with a smaller engine for a start. But its never going to be cheap.

johnellison
    Free Member

As above, ditch the Clio.

He needs an absolute banger with the smallest engine possible, and the older the better.

Something along the lines of a Cinquecento a la Inbetweenwers. And insure it in his name, then he can start building NDC.

geoffj

A mates son (17) has a Morris minor on a classic policy through the owners club for £600.
    He’s also got a kangoo van insured for around £700

It can be done, but start with the insurance then choose the vehicle, not tother way around.

nickjb
    Free Member

Another vote for selling the Clio

40mpg

Just got quotes for my daughter (17, still learning, but based on her having passed and owning own car). Direct comparison of different cars:
    Pug 206 £2,553
    Ford KA £2,193
    Fiesta £2,714
    Fiat seicento £2,193
    Corsa £2,063
    Clio £2,245

So no great difference on the smaller cars. (they were all with me and wife as named drivers too)

We’ve currently got her on Marmalade learner insurance at about £80 a month, but note that this only covers a pre-insured car ie the extra to add a learner.

The cheapest price I found so far was with cooperative, with a black box installed and no driving 10pm-5am. No good for us as daughter often doesn’t finish work until 10pm. If you break the terms, ie driving late or triggering the black box, you get charged extra premium, which is a bit of an unknown quantity!

IanW
    Free Member

There are plenty of telematics (black box) policies about without a curfew. Do a comparison site quote the top five will be telematics choose one with terms you can live with.

Other companies will offer you a discount on the phone to have one fitted.

MoreCashThanDash

Look for black box policies as above.

Look for underpowered “uncool” cars that no self-respecting 17 year old would be seen dead in – little Kias, Hyundais maybe. Certain types of small car are popular with certain types of young driver and therefore get involved in lots of accidents and thus get higher premiums. (Think I managed to explain that without using the word “chav” ……)

br
    Free Member

He needs an absolute banger with the smallest engine possible, and the older the better.

Not exactly true. You need to look for the lowest risk car – I’ve just given my son my old 1.8 Passat and he’s insured it comp with a large excess. Cheaper than either TP or TPF&T. And far cheaper than the small engine hatches he was looking at.

And by adding named drivers this brings the price down – knocked +£1200 off his. Also need to pay in one go as the interest added to the premiums for monthly were dire.

nickjb
    Free Member

Direct comparison of different very similar cars

need to think outside the standard yoof cars

bland

Surely starting with group 1 insurance models is the way to go

[/url]

And then postcode will effect it hugely so maybe ship them off to grannies address in the country

nickdavis94
    Free Member

Another vote for black box insurance!!

I’m 19 now and have been driving for the past 2 years. Had exactly the same problem trying to insure a 1.2 punto when I first passed. So I got a black box fitted from co-op young drivers insurance costing 1200 for the year fully comp. It also meant as I was the main driver I was able to build my no claims discount!

All the experiences I had with them were excellent and they were always great to deal with. I actually believe it made me into a very safe driver aswell as I was always aware of my speed, acceleration and breaking etc. and still am.

As soon as your son has 1 years no claims he can get rid of the box anyway as insurance quotes will pretty much halve. I’m now driving the car I’ve always dreamed of a Land Rover 90 fully kitted out, fully comp main driver at just £700 for the year. I definitely wouldn’t have been able to afford it if I didn’t get my no claims.
    Hope this helps
    Nick

jonahtonto
    Free Member

the best method seems to be to insure fully comp, with a high excess £600+, dont talk down the value of the car, ‘expensive’ cars are looked after better, add a named driver or two who has a clean record on the insurance data bases, even non fault. and limit the mileage to 5k a year. the black box can bring the price down but be aware that if they see he is driving fast or late at night they will jack the policy up mid term.
    got insurance on a 1.2 corsa for circa £800 with admiral. little bugger just wrote the car off though so hes probably uninsurable now 🙁

andrewh
    Free Member

+1 for whoever mentioned uncool cars, my first was a 1.6 Proton Persona, seriously uncool and not too bad to insure. Little bit older than the OPs offspring but I already had points from driving my father’s Landy.
    Huge, and pretty much unavoidable, risk factor is post code.
    When I got my first car compared me and my mate, both cars worth next to nothing, £200ish:
    Me: 23, three points, 1.6 Proton Persona, insurance £620
    him: 25, clean licence, 1yr NCD, 1.2 Fiesta, insurance £1,200
    the difference was he lived in Battersea and I was in rural Lincolnshire.

andrewh
    Free Member

+1 for whoever mentioned uncool cars, my first was a 1.6 Proton Persona, seriously uncool and not too bad to insure. Little bit older than the OPs offspring but I already had points from driving my father’s Landy.
    Huge, and pretty much unavoidable, risk factor is post code.
    When I got my first car compared me and my mate, both cars worth next to nothing, £200ish:
    Me: 23, three points, 1.6 Proton Persona, insurance £620
    him: 25, clean licence, 1yr NCD, 1.2 Fiesta, insurance £1,200
    the difference was he lived in Battersea and I was in rural Lincolnshire.

spooky_b329

-1 for the classic car option.

Last thing you should be considering is putting a high risk driver into an old car. Any hefty bump and they are likely to knock out all their teeth on the steering wheel and a serious one suddenly makes everything a lot more stressful for all…

AlasdairMc

Get a parent insured on the car as well, but with the policy in his name. I did this recently (I’ve been driving for years) by insuring my dad on my car in case he needed to borrow it as it’s bigger than his. I saved £100 on my policy for that.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Lad over the road from us has a black box, saved him over a thousand.

Cant quite see the logic though, as it keeps you driving slow for 2-3 years, get rid of the box and hey presto its like being a learner again being able to go as fast as you like!

oldnpastit

I paid about £900 with a black box from the co-op in the first year for my son, driving a 1.6 Megane. It went up a bit after he passed his test, but then dropped right down a year later. I can’t remember exactly but I think it’s around £600 for two teenage sons.

br
    Free Member

Also note that insurance has shot up for young drivers in the last few weeks – not sure why, maybe whoever was offering low (ish) premiums has dropped out of the market.

timber

Ditch the Clio for many reasons.
    Cheapest thing to insure will probably be the car his grandparents wanted 10-15 years ago, just keep it under 2.0l. Rover 45, 400 or 600, Nissan Almera, Toyota Corrola or Avensis, a Daewoo.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

What Alasdair said is well-known to the insurance companies. They call it fronting, and they don’t like it.

br
    Free Member

What Alasdair said is well-known to the insurance companies. They call it fronting, and they don’t like it.

I think you’ve read it wrong, what Alasdair said was to add a named driver. This is perfectly allowable, and legal.

Fronting is when (AFAIK) the older/less-risky person ‘owns’ and insures the car and adds a named YOUNGER/riskier driver.

rsl1
    Free Member

I was insured as a provisional driver for £300 for a year with nfu. 1.2 04 Clio about 3 years ago named driver on dads policy. Quadrupled when I realised I had to tell them I passed.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I think you’ve read it wrong, what Alasdair said was to add a named driver. This is perfectly allowable, and legal.

Yep, I still add my dad as a named driver to my policy as it saves me £100 even though I’m 33 and live at a different address.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Sorry, this bit…

but with the policy in his name.

… looked like fronting.

br
    Free Member

Sorry, this bit…

but with the policy in his name.

… looked like fronting.

Nah, read it again, just 5hit English 🙂

shortcut

Step daughter is driving a Daewoo Matiz after writing off her previous aquaplaning at 30!! Yeah right.

Blackboxes make a huge difference as do old peoples cars that no one wants.

llama

While learning you insure it and get top up learner driver insurance eg collingwood

After pass trackers are by far the cheapest. We have coop which varies your premium according to your driving. Ours is currently 25 a month for a 1.4 lupo (18 year old as named driver 5 months after passing)

br
    Free Member

risk factor is post code.

And don’t forget this, over £1000 more in West Yorkshire than Scottish Borders for my son.

bland

Big time its postcode, you don’t even want to know what the actual cost of insuring my accord is in Oldham! Lets just say its more than all the mentioned prices with 5 yrs NCD and clean liscence at 32!

We move very soon thank god to a completely different postcode!

vinnyeh

For any given set of circumstances, your cheapest insurance is always going to be with a group 1 car. Assuming your lad is driving an older car i.e. only worth a couple of thousand, then the quote for any two cars in the same group is going to be the same.
    Do all the other stuff mentioned above if you can, and some of it can make a bigger difference than dropping an insurance group or two, but basically the lower the group, the lower the premium.

br
    Free Member

For any given set of circumstances, your cheapest insurance is always going to be with a group 1 car.

Not in our experience, as for young drivers they must use a different set of criteria.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I got a quote for my 17yo daughter on a 2001 Pug 206 Auto 1.4 on a provisional licence with me as a named driver and £600 excess.
    Aviva – £720

A (responsible) parent as a named driver usually helps, but doesn’t hinder the kid building a no claims.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Car Insurance advice – 18 year old son’ is closed to new replies.