Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • car insurance
  • big-lad
    Free Member

are you able to have 2 policy’s running on 1 car at a time? i need to borrow a car this weekend and have been told you cant have 2 policys running at the same time, even a short term policy. i cant be added as a temp drivers to original policy because of my age ( cant quite believe it at 29 )but i am looking to add it as a temp additional veichle to my policy. are there any other ways round it?

fisha
    Free Member

do you have fully comp insurance on your own car?
    if so, you may be allowed to drive any other vehicle under your own policy provided that

– the other vehicle has insurance of its own
    – you have permission of the car owner

Its quite a common feature of fully comp insurance although I’ve read that companies are now quietly removing it as a feature ( its something that I check each time I renew )

big-lad
    Free Member

think mine is 1 of them that it has been quietly removed, which is frustrating!

poly
    Free Member

Why would you not be able to have 2 policies running at the same time (that is effectively what the ‘fully comp 3rd party’ cover provides – the ‘owner’ has a policy covering him and you have policy covering you)?

You can get insurance specifically for the type of situation you want to cover. Google for Day Insurance.

sam123
    Free Member

Where I work we provide 7 day free cover for new cars and you can have that policy running at the same car as your normal insurance because its only a temporary cover.

Therefore, I would assume the same applies for any other type of temporary cover but it is probably best to just check with your insurer to be on the safe side.

big-lad
    Free Member

it was a day cover/ temporary insurance firm that said you cant have 2 policys at the same time, i was a bit suprised. will call round a few more tommorrow and see what the verdict is

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘car insurance’ is closed to new replies.