Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Car insurance
  • Caher

I am looking through all the comparison sites for car insurance and see there is a vast difference in premiums. So wander do you just go for the cheapest or a company I’ve heard of? Is there any thing I should look out for?

Thanks

Rio

By all means use the comparison sites as a guide but it’s worth going to company sites directly as well – they often quote a lower premium than the comparison sites; my own insurance was quoted 50% more on one of the comparison sites than they actually charged me. Also try the companies that don’t use comparison sites.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I bought a car at the weekend and pre that I got some quotes through a comparison site.
    Once I’d gotten them I came to insure it and had to call the company to confirm, when calling them the premium quoted on the site wasn’t “correct” (yet they had make/model via reg num) and I was told that the premium would be greater (not by a huge amount)
    I simply asked them why it was more expensive than the quote, pointed out that they had the car details correctly inputted on the site so should have had the correct details of the car.
    Upshot was I got the premium for the car as quoted on the site and not what I was told over the phone (whilst confirming)
    I wonder how many times this practice actually occurs.. I thought it a bit cheeky to get a quote online then told it was different when calling to confirm.
    Had I not stood my ground I’m sure I would have been charged the greater premium.

Still, at my age and with the car I’ve just bought, I’m happy to pay it.

Rich
    Free Member

Watch out for the amount of excess they are quoting for, sometimes companies whack this up to give you a competitive quote.

It’s always worth going through a cashback site too (Topcashback, Quidco), saves me between £40-£65 each year off my car insurance!

honeybadgerx

I did the usual net trawling, but then due to a few out of the ordinary bits (company car no claims, etc.) decided to pop into my local Swintons. Service was great, good price, could discuss exactly what was covered, would definitely recommend.

mbl1
    Free Member

Moneysavingexpert.Com used to have a guide as to how to get the best deal. It explained which comparison sites to use and in what order and then what cashback sites might lower quotes even more. I cant check now but take a look as i imagine its still there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Car insurance’ is closed to new replies.