Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Car insuance for oldies Q
  • slowoldgit
    Free Member

That’s other than SAGA, for I don’t feel that old. So who’s willing to suggest a company they’d recommend?

mattyfez

There is at least a few comparison sites that will give you a baseline target price.

A mate of mine had his best quote from Sheila’s wheel’s.

Basically you have to shop around at every renewal.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

It’s not only about the price though. I take the viewpoint that they are all in the same market with the same sort of overall costs. So maybe they cut the price upfront, then save money on service and payout.

(edit) Now I don’t commute, have my own house, drive a boring car and seem to be generally low-risk, it’s much more about service than price.

nickjb
    Free Member

So maybe they cut the price upfront, then save money on service and payout.

Cut price is better and payout irrelevant if you never make a claim. As above you just have to shop around. They all use different random number generators

wilburt
    Free Member

I’m not sure age is relevant, if theres a service or benefit you particularly need then I would ask them.

nealglover
    Free Member

Lionheart
    Free Member

Avia surpasses all my expectations at the mo, and good reductions on costs for us, when compared else where.

slowoldman

I’ve just renewed through my bank. Saga were no.3 on price.

matt_outandabout

slowoldgit – I am like you, and had a few crappy insurance experiences (Churchill and eSure) in the past, so now prefer a ‘good’ insurer.
    I have had great service from DirectLine (twice) when issues arose, plus no fees when changing car or driver part way though, UK call centre etc. We are currently with M&S, and have had RAC as well recently.
    I find that I can save maybe £20 by going with a budget provider, but a ‘good’ insurer with cashback and other tricks is well worth it – use the comparison sites.

towzer

directline here

never claimed BUT they seem to have stopped doing the here is your renewal which is mysteriously much higher than last year and everywhere else trick and just quoted the going rate – so as a non claimer I actually consider that good customer service.

legend
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member

slowoldgit – I am like you, and had a few crappy insurance experiences (Churchill and eSure) in the past, so now prefer a ‘good’ insurer.
    I have had great service from DirectLine (twice) when issues arose, plus no fees when changing car or driver part way though, UK call centre etc.

Churchill and Direct Line have been the same company for years now iirc

kcal

I like NFU Mutual — depends if they have an agency nearby though. They have an office, with real people and everything! Seriously, they’ve been very helpful premium seems OK, and you can make adjustments to the policy without an admin fee heartache.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I was Saga and direct line before that. Same issues. They kept increasing premiums.i found that by going to compare and choosing a new one each year I got cheaper insurance because they give you a big discount. They then hope your too lazy to switch.

I’d been with direct line for ten or fifteen years and I rang them pointing out the huge difference in premium. Guy on phone admitted they were no longer competitive. I do t rule them out but I do check them and the rest against the competition.

It’s really worth looking at go compare etc. You don’t have to take the cheapest or dodgy internet one. Same applies to energy as well.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Oh and in my experience with Saga I didn’t get any preferential treatment or discount for being over 50. There just a company that uses that cover to try and sell you their products, holidays, car life insurance etc

matt_outandabout

Churchill and Direct Line have been the same company for years

However in 2008 Churchill sent me a letter pleading not to take them to court, not to refer them to the ombudsmen and please accept the £150 voucher, full excess and premium refund by way of persuasion.
    Total incompetence = they are on ‘The List’ with nPower and TalkTalk of companies to never, ever use again in my household.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I,m 54. I am with Aviva.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

AVIVA had the data leakage which top brass long denied. c_g on here was really badly messed about. I’ve wondered ever since if the board were really so ignorant, or what. Plus a while aga they said they wouldn’t accept dashcam video. Not sure if that’s changed. Direct Line ruled themselves out, it’s an interesting story but too long for my one-fingered typing.

Andit’s not about price, but what they are like to deal with. Nationwide are fine, theirs is through Liverpool Victoria so one speaks to a friendly chirpy scouser, and they are always helpful.

mattyfez

Oh and in my experience with Saga I didn’t get any preferential treatment or discount for being over 50. There just a company that uses that cover to try and sell you their products, holidays, car life insurance etc

Shock Horror! insurance companies use questionable marketing techniques to lure customers in.

As I said above, shop around as long as you are legally insured it does not matter. My mate is with Sheila’s wheel’s, he even got his documents in a pink envelope. It matters not.

granny_ring

Renewed again with General Accident, 3rd year in a row and I do the comparison sites too.

falkirk-mark

You can pay as much or as little as you want it is not until you claim you find out if your insurance co is crap or not. However having said that my mrs claimed for a write off on her car and got shit money from Tesco, son done the same and got almost twice the cash he paid for his car with the same company.

wilburt
    Free Member

Nationwide have stopped doing car insurance.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Nationwide have stopped doing car insurance. But it’s still up on their website. I’ll know when I get a renewal next month.

There’s another post on car insurance that re-inforces my caution.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Car insuance for oldies Q’ is closed to new replies.