Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Car hire prices WTF
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I looked at car hire through easyjet for a 3-day trip, £76 odd…comparison site gets me it for £43!!!

Just thought it was worth a PSA.

hammerite
    Free Member

which comparison site? looking at hiring for a trip in a couple of months.

maccruiskeen

With car hire its very difficult to compare like with like with the prices that get quoted. £76 might be the better deal, after waivers, fuel surcharges, milage charges and other guff that doesn’t get mentioned until you go to pick up the keys.

EDIT
    Its also pretty much the doldrums for car hire so there are some pretty desparate offers around. I get an extremely keen trade discount but at the moment with cars (not vans though) I get a better price as a joe public.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johndoh
    Free Member

And don’t forget Quidco – just got £105 cashback on a rental from Holiday Autos (big family van for three weeks in USA costing £800).

trail_rat
    Free Member

last car hire for a week in the states – i was 76 for the car and 140 for the blooming sat nav.

i could have bought one for 99 …. but i couldnt have expensed it ! MADNESS

cynic-al
    Free Member

travelsupermarket.com

maccruisekean I didn’t want to hear that! *checks out small print*

patriotpro
    Free Member

What’s PSA stand for?

allthepies
    Free Member

kars4bighitters.com

hammerite
    Free Member

Thanks Al/allthepies – already tried travelsupermarket.

patriot – PSA = Public Service Announcement

maccruiskeen

maccruisekean I didn’t want to hear that! *checks out small print*

my money saving tip…. the biggest sting is you find out on collection that theres a £Xhundred excess – “of course you can pay and extra £20 a day to cover that sir. For peace of mind, that way you’ll only have to pay £YHundred in the event of a mishap” as they get ready to condition check the car with a microscope.

Buy your own insurance excess policy. It costs £30 – £40 a year, covers excesses up to £2k generally as well as things like tyre damage that you are often liable for even when you do pay for a waiver. A years cover will pay for itself in two to three days.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Cheers

trail_rat
    Free Member

maccruisekeen

camera phones are wonderful.

i take photos before and after of each aspect and the wheels.

i also take photos of the tank before and after

all datemarked..

ive had a few disputes over fuel levels – a photo soon solves it.

once bitten twice shy. Doesnt take too long.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Try Enterprise at Sighthill.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I use enterprise regularly and find them great – not picky over minor scratches etc. My tip would be to click through the special offers ads, even for weekend specials on their website rather than ping details straight in. This gives you a higher price!

hp_source

@maccruisekeen – great advise, excess insurance cost us about £25 last year for a 15day rental

@trail_rat – taking photo’s is a great idea to cover yourself for the usual things like tyres/wheels and fuel, but what if you have an accident? you’re still going to pay the excess…

Cheers

trail_rat
    Free Member

if i have an accident i have an accident …

it was an accident – thats my fault(or who ever hit mes fault- and subsequently they will be paying)

i just object to being made to pay for someone elses mishaps.

johndoh
    Free Member

And that Holiday Autos site (they just partner with hire firms like Alamo etc) I used – it gives extra protection over the hire firm’s standard (less excess etc) but that didn’t stop Alamo from trying to sel me extra cover that was about the same as Holiday Autos gave me in the package anyway.

One thing I wish I had done – not hired the two car seats – cost me $7 a day *each* for two for 20 days. Having thought about it, I would have been better off buying two from Amazon and have them sent to the accommodation we were staying at then just give them away.

bails

I hired a car in Lanzarote last year, 40 EUR* for a new shape focus for 24 hours, ended up with a 2.0T Saab 93 because they couldn’t get the Focus. Got told “If you damage the car, have any problems, just give us a call and we’ll bring you a replacement one. Also, don’t fill the fuel tank up, just make sure there’s a little bit left when you return it”.

I expected the ‘if a fly craps on it, that’ll be a trillion euros’ stuff so was pleasantly surprised!

*Probably a bit pricy, but I did it last minute and only for one day, the daily rate obviously drops when you hire for longer.

footflaps

When ever I phone up they quote me a price and then when I turn up they tell me the price quoted didn’t include damage waiver etc, so the real price is always more..

TiRed

Rented a car from Avis via Expedia last Oct in Toulouse for a long weekend. Was happy to take the most bashed, dented and dinged Ford Fiesta. I think the total was £80 including the best XS and I paid an excess at the end of £2. The mad dash for the flight, and leaving the car blocking a long queue of returning cars, was more than worth the £2 😳

scuttler

Read up on fair fuel policy particularly if renting in Southern Europe / Med. That obnoxious o’leary chap has had an effect on car rental firms who want to draw you in with cheap headline prices and non-optional surcharges. Some of holiday autos suppliers appear to adopt a less than fair fuel policy.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK so my booking includes the following, is anything missing?

Local Tax (TAX)
    Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)
    Theft Protection (TP)
    Vehicle Registration Fee (VRF)
    Airport/city surcharge
    Unlimited Mileage

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well when I got there there was some insurance I was asked to pay for, I think it was the fully-comp bit i.e. damage to the car itself whenno one else was at fault. I declined and drove canny, all good 😀

I also upgraded to a B class, 3 days for £71.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not bad, been stung for second driver, dropping off fee(?) etc despite having a pain in full print out invoice.

Edit and a Geneva one as we got an upgrade the Swiss Motorway tax wasn’t in the other car and we got stung for that 🙁

batfink
    Free Member

it was an accident – thats my fault(or who ever hit mes fault- and subsequently they will be paying)

Unfortunately I think most hire car companies will immediately charge you the full excess (6,500 Eur at one place I went to!) until it’s been proved that you weren’t at fault – at which point you have to trust that they refund you!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Car hire prices WTF’ is closed to new replies.