Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Car Hire
  • pomona
    Free Member

I'm coming back to the UK for the first time in 3 years later this year and need to hire a car for the month I'm there.

I've looked at the usual suspects of Hertz, Budget, Europcar etc and now I'm earning in Kiwi dollars these seem to be bloody expensive to me now.

Can anyone recommend a decent yet cheap car hire firm? I'll be arriving at Heathrow but can get a lift for the first day or 2 say anywhere in the London area would be good. I'd prefer one with unlimited mileage as I'll be going down to Cornwall, up to Aberdeen and various points in between. I'll also need a large station wagon (mondeo estate sort of size) for me, my 4 kids and a bike.

The kids will be dropped off at the grandparents for a few days so I can go ride Glentress, Innerleithen, Golspie and various other Scottish trails again. Can't wait for that!

Thanks in advance

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Enterprise often tend to be a little cheaper.

krag
    Free Member

Kayak is usually pretty good at searching all the main car hire companies. HTH.

pomona
    Free Member

I shall have a look at the pair of them, thanks.

-m-
    Free Member

easycar can be OK for searching also.

If you need to specify an estate rather than simply a car of particular size then you'll often end up paying a hefty premium.

nimrod2410
    Free Member

I use Enterprise all the time and get good service and unlimited mileage.
    If you hire for a longish period [10 days etc] should get a Mondeo for about £25.00 a day ex vat. Make sure you ask for a diesel.

Things to consider are that standard excess is £600.00 or you can pay an extra £10.00 a day to reduce to £100 and that an extra driver also costs I think a tenner a day.

pomona
    Free Member

I've had a look at Enterprise and they do seem to be that wee bit cheaper.

I don't specifically need an estate car, but I think with 1 adult, 4 kids, luggage for a month and my bike and biking gear I may struggle with a hatchback or saloon.

doglover
    Free Member

Highly recommend Enterprise, use them all the time, admittedly mainly for their excellent weekend rates.

For insurance it may be worth getting an annual policy for 50 quid or so rather than taking enterprise's version eg. questor insurance Don't know if this works if you're resident abroad though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Car Hire’ is closed to new replies.