Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Car Help….Mechanics* advice needed…….
  • letmetalktomark

* or just someone who knows more about cars than me 🙄 😆

Right bear with me here….

We have (read the wifes) a Peugeot 206 from 2000. 134000 miles on the clock and pretty sound except for two things:

1) When the car is traveling and a gear is engaged between 1700rpm and 2000rm the car "stammers". Most of the time this isn't really noticeable as the car is usually kept above 2000rpm but in 3rd or 4th around town it is noticeable. (makes the car shudder). Any ideas?

2) 4th gear. Between 1700rpm and 3000rm (whilst accelerating only, not whilst in gear but coasting) the gear stick visibly shakes in situe. This is enough to be very apparent in the car. Only 4th seems to go it – pain in the a$$ for getting up to 5th gear. Changing up earlier sees me with the problem in point 1!

I acknowledge that the car has done high(ish) mileage but it has always been serviced etc.

Any advice/suggestions*/remedies**

Cheers Mark

* buying a new car may be an option
    ** those suggesting not buying a french car in future will be hunted down
    😆

coffeeking
    Free Member

Petrol or diesel?

letmetalktomark

coffeeking – Member

Petrol or diesel?

She be a derzel. (non smoker too 😉 )

Saccades
    Free Member

I presume this has only just started to happen?

This the 2L HDi engine?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think on a 206 it will be the 2.0 HDi. When they reach that age the engine/box mounts seem to deteriorate a little, which doesn't help with wobbles, but the judder is odd. Does it do it only under load or when cruising at that rpm too?

Kept above 2000rpm? My HDi rarely goes above 2000rpm, it has no guts left by 3K and you're practically thrashing it past 2500 (relates to about 80mph in 5th)!

letmetalktomark

Engine stammer has been present for a while but only recently the car has started doing shorter journeys where both the problems become apparent.

BTW even when fully warm the problems still occur.

Engine is the basic 1.9D

letmetalktomark

3000rpm in 5th = about 75MPH

Engine stammer and gearbox woes only happen when underload

hora
    Free Member

Check all cv boots/joints for weepage etc or play in the suspension arms (raise one wheel off the ground and wiggle.

Oil level checked/maintained?

letmetalktomark

hora – Member

Check all cv boots/joints for weepage etc or play in the suspension arms (raise one wheel off the ground and wiggle.

Oil level checked/maintained?

Between its MOT in September 2009 and its last service (end of Jan 2010) its given a general clean bill of health re joints etc.

Last advisory note on service mentioned brake pads and radiator.

letmetalktomark

Car is still still serviced every 10,000 miles by local garage

coffeeking
    Free Member

Well the 1.9D certainly simplifies things a lot. You're down to things like:
    bearing problems (gearbox/driveshaft) (wobble, remember some is normal and worn mounts will make it 10x worse)
    Dodgy injectors or pump, requiring cleaning or replacement (create a sort of misfire).
    Blocked fuel filter (fuel starvation) but I'd expect it to get worse and worse with increasing revs and load?

Hope over to somewhere like pug306.net and ask in the diesel specific site, I've little knowledge of the non-HDi engine, they'll probably pick up the obvious first.

Saccades
    Free Member

The gear stick only wobbles in 4th?

The juddering engine could be a number of things, MAF sensor is the easiest and cheapest to fix, after that your looking at the throttle position sensor. Then it's injectors/fuel pump (costly) or the turbo (costly).

How related they are to the wobbling gearstick I have no idea tbh.

letmetalktomark

Saccades – Member

The gear stick only wobbles in 4th?

Yep.

Its enough to shake the car! 😯

MrNutt
    Free Member

take the filter out of the airbox and see if that cures the running problem, as for the stick it could be the gearbox mounts, does it do it in neutral or with the clutch engaged?

molgrips
    Free Member

Engine mounts
    Gearbox – shaft bearings or the gears themselves maybe?

The fact that it only happens in 4th means it MUST be a gearbox problem. For vibrations that bad one would assume engine mounts making it felt more in the car.

It won't be an air or fuel problem if it's only between a certain rev range I'd say. More likely to be resonance. Could be a counterweight missing or some kind of vibration damping rubber part degrading…

squin
    Free Member

Is it definately coming from the engine?

Probably not the same wobble, but my 206 developed a wobble at certain speeds and under acceleration. The wobble felt like it was coming from the rear and I thought that a suspension failure had happened. After a few days the wobble became permanent and it turned out that the rear axle had collapsed.

Drop it in to a trustworthy garage and have them look at it.

coffeeking
    Free Member

saccades – no turbo, no MAF, no TPS – its a seriously agricultural engine and normally has very few problems because of it 🙂

Couple of extra thoughts.
    Those rev ranges are the same approximate rev ranges as the EGR is active, but not normally under load, unless it's failed open. May have no bearing at all on the matter.
    Vibrations that shake the car – sounds like a serious problem but might not be. Might only be happening in 4th because that's the gear and RPM combo that gives a resonance, rather than 4th being the gear at fault per se.

letmetalktomark

Vibrations that shake the car – sounds like a serious problem but might not be. Might only be happening in 4th because that's the gear and RPM combo that gives a resonance, rather than 4th being the gear at fault per se.

Agreed could be serious.

Really only happens in fourth – I've tested.

And yes it is the agricultural engine. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Those rev ranges are the same approximate rev ranges as the EGR is active, but not normally under load, unless it's failed open. May have no bearing at all on the matter

Sure? I thought the EGR valve was always active unless enough load was activated? On my car EGR is DEactivated according to throttle position and nothing else. Actually I lie, it's deactivated whilst the car's warming up too. It's powered by the same vacuum line that switches off the turbo.

Definitely the engine mounts tho. The engine mounts might just be tuned to iron that vibration out, but now they are failing it's becoming apparent.

Saccades
    Free Member

Ah, it's not the HDi engine – I got distracted during my last post and haven't been able to get back 'til now.

I can't see it being the EGR (mine are blanked off), as that recycles ~10%exhust gases to modify the NOx output, it only opens to give you more 02 at full throttle, otherwise it's closed off. If it's stuck on you'd only know by measuring the gas output.

molgrips
    Free Member

EGR valves can easily clog which leads to rough runnig, but nothing like what is described here.

Change the mounts, then come back to us 🙂 Also check gearbox oil – this was one of the biggest things that helped vibration in my car, and also the cheapest.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Car Help….Mechanics* advice needed…….’ is closed to new replies.