Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Car help
  • larrythelathe
    Free Member

Right iam truly rubbish at picking and buying cars. I have a old Alfa 147 2l twin spark, it needs some money spent on it a grand is 52 plate 82k

So I found a c220 sport saloon Brabos I liked 2.1 d sat nav etc etc. it was 13850£ 57 plate with a mileage of 59k

Know my problem dispite me viewing it yesterday and agreeing to pay the deposit to day (this afternoon on the phone) they sold it.

So I canot find anything I like. It’s a big purchase for new I want something ‘nice’

help, Advice please

northernmatt

£14k is a lot for what is effectively a 6 year Merc C-Class with some posh wheels and badges. How about this or this?

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Eerrmmm you might be right.

Those links don’t work

richmtb

Nearly 14k for a six year old C class Merc, rather you than me.

If you really are rubbish at buying cars then some simple steps to get a few ideas are:

How big? So Fiesta size, Focus size or Mondeo size, do you want or need 2,3,4,5 doors etc, do you want an otherwise normal size car that is taller because you can’t drive properly?

Are there any makes you particularly like, eg Merc, Audi, BMW or ones you want to avoid eg Vauxhall and Peugeot

These two criteria alone should help you get shortlist of models. Then take a look at that model on parkers.co.uk or similar for a list of the different specification on that model, eg trim and engine. You can get a load of information on performance and economy. At some point you’ll want to consider fuel type too. Diesel offer better economy but only if you do a fair number of longer journeys and cost more to buy generally, Petrols tend to be better for shorter journeys and can be better to drive, though this is generalising a bit.

Once you have settled on a car and narrowed down the specification a bit get on auto trader or piston heads and start looking

Having said all this this is STW so just buy a SEAT Leon FR because its what I drive and is really great, obviously.

benji
    Free Member

Mercedes posh mans lorry, how about a proper drivers car, a nice BMW, plenty of choice with a budget like that.

tron
    Free Member

Just get the variator done on the 147! I’m guessing that’s the big bill?

For that sort of money, I’d be seeing if I could pick up a Brera, 1 series coupe or Golf GTI.

Give diesels a swerve if you know nothing about cars. Too many big bills vs too little saved on fuel.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

I have at last. Bought a car. I got a c class as I had set my heart on one

It’s a 2010 se blue efficiency with sat nave tec etc. I paid 14k with 2 years free servicing and warranty from mercedes.

Sound ok?

benji
    Free Member

Sounds very reasonable, especially with the servicing included. At least with buying main dealer you have piece of mind. Just had it’s first mot, is it one owner and they had just come to the end of the pcp lease period?

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Yup 29 k on the car

I_Ache
    Free Member

For the sort of money you are going to spend on a 14k loan you will easily get a new car. You can get a new focus for 14k or a Mondeo for 16k new. Yes you won’t own the car after 3 years but you might saved money this way, especially as you don’t have to worry about it getting through the MOT every year.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Ye I want to own, did not want a ford. It had to be a nice motor. I saved hard for it.

I agree on the finance some of the deals are amazing

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Car help’ is closed to new replies.