Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Car help.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

My Peugeot 206 HDi has just done something serious. Driving home this afternoon and I changed down from 4th to 3rd to passa a car on a hill. The front offside wheel felt like it had aquaplaned and all of a sudden it had lost power. Now it makes a whining noise, it sounds like there is a fan or something, coming from the left hand side of the engine.
    The engine warning light, the one that looks like an engine block, has come on.

Any ideas? Safe to drive to the garage tomorrow? Call out a breakdown truck?

Help!

jam-bo

you tried to make it do some work, its gone on strike.

donsimon
    Free Member

Well it is French, innit?

Anyone???

transporter13
    Free Member

sounds like a drive shaft maybe….if you put too much stress through them, they can shred the splines..much like on hollotech ii cranks.. only..they have them at either end.
    when they go it renders the car undrivable

donsimon
    Free Member

Car is still driveable, though.

mc
    Free Member

Whining is normally caused by either a failed bearing, or something rubbing.

When does it make the noise?
    All the time the engine is running?
    Just when moving?
    Only when the clutch is engaged?

donsimon
    Free Member

Thanks mc. I’ve just started the car and the noise increases with the engine revs, which would agree with it being a failed bearing, I don’t think it’s anything rubbing. I’ve had a listen in the engine bay and I’m sure it’s a bearing.

No way of guessing which bearing, I suppose.

Is it safe to drive?

10km to local, but unknown garage or 80km to known and trusted or phone the insurance to take it there??

mc
    Free Member

Whether it’s safe to drive, depends on what is whining.

Generic advise is to get it recovered, but that would depend on what recovery you’ve got, or if you want to pay for it.

Having thought about it a bit more, and given the engine management light has come on, I’d hazard a guess it could be something turbo/boost related, such as a turbo hose blown of/split, which isn’t unknown, especially on the 1.4/1.6 HDIs. If it is then it’ll still be safe to drive, just be totally lacking in power.
    A bearing failure in itself won’t bring on the engine management light, unless it’s something directly related to the engine running.

starsh78
    Free Member

mine sounded like this when the turbo died.

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s got a turbo??
    That would fit with losing power too. It was driven 10km home this afternoon with only the noise, but it was driven slowly.

A bearing failure in itself won’t bring on the engine management light, unless it’s something directly related to the engine running.

I would agree, I think if the management light had come on for an engine failure there would be other signals for some kind of failure, smoke, burning, oil warning, increase in temp etc.

Maybe a run in the morning for diagnosis to the local garage and then make a decision. Cheers.

tthew

Does it do it all the time, i.e. even at idle? I’d hazard a guess that the turbo won’t spin at idle speed, especially it it’s knackered, so you may have dodged that, (expensive) bullet.

donsimon
    Free Member

Nothing at idle and the increase in sound corresponds with an increase in revs. How much are turbos?

mc
    Free Member

Sounds turbo related.

Turbos are anywhere from £150 upwards, but I’d guess a turbo for a 1.4/1.6hdi will be about £300, give or take a bit.
    However, given the sudden nature of failure, I’d say a hose/intercooler/housing failure is far more likely.

donsimon
    Free Member

Thanks alot, a lie in tomorrow and I’ll give my trusted mechanic a call. 😀

tthew

However, given the sudden nature of failure, I’d say a hose/intercooler/housing failure is far more likely.

Hmm, not an expert, but given the clearances, lightweight build and speed of a turbo, especially as it was at full load I’d say catastrophic failure is a possibility. Hope it’s not mind! Fingers crossed for you D.S.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m more concerned about the work I’ll lose as I’m self employed and things are going to be a bit tight for the next month or two! 😥

Hairychested
    Free Member

Get it fixed, you’re just unlucky. Might be a turbo, might be not. Have it checked, fixed and enjoy the car for a long time.

mc
    Free Member

If a turbo fails with no warning at full load, then chances are you’d know about it, as it would self destruct quickly, and cause lots of blue smoke out the exhaust. Also, the engine management light wouldn’t come on immediately (it probably wouldn’t come on at all, as the only issue is likely to be lack of boost, which doesn’t always trigger a fault).

Sudden loss of power combined with a sudden increase in noise without smoke is far more likely to be something under boost pressure failing, and would bring on the engine management light pretty quickly, due to an increase of measured air being drawn in, without any corresponding increase in measured boost pressure (the ECU is smart enough to know roughly what related sensors should be seeing for given conditions).

donsimon
    Free Member

Get it fixed, you’re just unlucky. Might be a turbo, might be not. Have it checked, fixed and enjoy the car for a long time.

Thanks, but probably quite the opposite, 230,00km and only regular services and a new alternator on warranty 4 years ago. It’s been due a major fail for a long time. 😀

Hairychested
    Free Member

174k miles, no issues apart from the turbine air line splitting. 20 Euro later it’s as good as new.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ve just spoken to my trusted mechanic and he say’s it should be ok to drive 80kms! I wonder how long he will remain my trusted mechanic?
    He said the engine light is nothing to worry about, I suppose it signifies there is a problem with the engine, which clearlyI couldn’t notice from the noise!! If the temp and the oil light show nothing, he assured me that taking it easy shouldn’t be a problem…Watch this space…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sounds like one of the hoses might have split / popped off from the turbo to the inlet manifold to me.

donsimon
    Free Member

Oh dear! 25km, 1st gear crawling up the hill, a little bit of smoke and a smell of burning oil. That suggested to me that it was ime to pull over and call in the pros. Now the car has gone with the tow truck and I’m back at home with a small transport problem. There are 3 buses per day from my village!!

Quick vocab question.

It was taken by one of these things, it’s not a tow truck as it doesn’t tow. The car is carried on a flatbed. What is it called in English?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

transporter.

Hope it’s sorted soon and easy – cool motor.

donsimon
    Free Member

Cheers, it’s a bit embarassing that I’m losing English vocab. 😳

Not my car BTW, I’m just waiting for the dreaded garage report and quotation. Could be worse though! 😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

OH dear, hope its not terminal. Keep us updated!

mc
    Free Member

Official title is a Slidebed Recovery Lorry, but recovery lorry suffices.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We’re praying for the safe and cheap return of your car Don of the Simons. Yap yap 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

How long did it take to find the photo? 😆

Car’s the same colour and the middle dog is almost exsctly the same as my first Staffy, Maxwell Bubba RIP. 😥

donsimon
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member

OH dear, hope its not terminal. Keep us updated!

New turbo €1.000. 😯

Recon turbo only €4-500, thankfuckforthat! I thought it was going to be expensive.

I guess the new camera is going to have to wait… 😥

molgrips
    Free Member

If it’s a 206 then it’s fairly old, yes? Should be tons of turbos around for that car.. I got a similar one for my old car for £120.

But then again I fitted and bodged it myself so that helped.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

€500??!!?? Who’s going to feed me?? Grr. 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

If it’s a 206 then it’s fairly old, yes? Should be tons of turbos around for that car.. I got a similar one for my old car for £120.

Was it guaranteed?

Cheers dd. 😆

donsimon
    Free Member

Update, finally got the car back with a new turbo. total cost close to 1,500€ including turbo and lost work. Not happy, and not the best couple of weeks for me as I’ve also lost a couple of jobs, there’s a recession don’t ya know!

Positive note, one of my students offered to lend me his motorbike to use. Quite an incredible offer and demonstrates, to me, that there are some good people out there while the rest are behaving like selfish tw4ts.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Car help.’ is closed to new replies.