Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Car garage rip off is this normal??
  • molgrips
    Free Member

You do realise that if the garage didn’t mark up the parts it would have to charge more for labour, don’t you?

almightydutch
    Free Member

Yes its normal to try and get away with it, especially Main Dealer.

Do you also buy fruit from M+S and wonder why Aldi is much cheaper

duncancallum

suction control valve on my Navara, part freely available to all at £85 ish, garage wanted £250 to do the job, its 2 allen bolts FFS

you “relearn” the fuel system? if not it will still fault

if i remember rightly they were 118.50+vat for the part and I used to charge an hour to fit and clear

plus the inital diag fee

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geoffj

And STW reaches peak antiempathy

🙄

BigJohn

That’s for supply, collection, stocking, holding, returns, cancellations, storage space, etc etc.

That’s how the world works.

Not any more. Garage sees what’s needed, orders there and then, little TPS van turns up 20 minutes later with the bits (free delivery). And takes back any bits ordered yesterday that weren’t needed.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

And STW reaches peak antiempathy

It’s incredible. There are a few folk around who seem to need a hug.

OP, I’d be curious to call the parts department and get a price for, say, the air/oil/pollen filters, and see how the prices compare. If there’s any difference, bring it up with the service department. To be honest, I’d be quite interested to ask them about the RRP you’re aware of anyway.

brassneck

Likely paying autofactor pricing, so they can more or less guarantee the right parts are in the shop to do the work. EBay pricing depends on the aprt being available at some point in the near future, and hoping it is the right one (yes, sometimes it’s not hard to identify the right bit, but sometimes it is and accounts with autofactors are to cope with this sort of thing).

EDIT: BigJohn beat me to it

johndoh
    Free Member

Pffft, if you want a rip off garage thread you need to do it in style

thehustler
    Free Member

you “relearn” the fuel system? if not it will still fault

Ignition lights on, wait 3 sec, press and release accelerator 5 times within 5 sec, wait 7 sec, press and hold accelerator 10 sec, wit for engine light to flash a few times press and hold accelerator for more than 10 sec……..fuel system rest and working perfectly……….

…that for the extra £180 ?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Fail to see a problem. The garage wants to make x£ per day. It can load either the rate or the parts prices. If you don’t like prices given go elsewhere. Its so damn simple. 🙄

wilburt
    Free Member

Profiteer
    noun
    a person who seeks or exacts exorbitant profits

I would say 100% mark up (estimation) on a rivals price is exorbitant yes.

Not everyone is astute in everything. That’s why we regulate sales activity. If you cant grasp that idea, your probably just who its there to protect.

nickclift
    Free Member

Having a main dealer full service history will affect the residual value of the vehicle will it not? Buy genuine parts, fit em yourself, save a few bob. Part ex value goes down. Pay a main dealer, pay his prices, get his stamp, part ex value increases…simples.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

100% markup at each step in the supply chain is pretty normal I would have thought. Buy something for x and sell for 2x is about right to cover all your costs and make some profit.

rc200f8
    Free Member

Don’t know how all main dealers work but in ours service, parts and sales are financially independent of each other. Service department has to ‘buy’ it’s parts from the parts department at full retail price, if we, the service department, discounted the parts we would make a loss, as a customer you could buy your parts direct from the parts department and possibly get a discount. The service department makes no profit from parts, it’s profit comes from selling labour. Fred in the shed will buy the parts at trade price from our parts department and may not charge their customers full retail for it.

Drac

I would say 100% mark up (estimation) on a rivals price is exorbitant yes.

What if it wasn’t 100% the oil alone will be around £55-60

wilburt
    Free Member

I didnt say 100% mark up on cost, I said 100% mark up on competitors price.

Yes its an estimation I based this on it costing me less than £70 for all those service parts including oil for an A3 with a 1.9tdi commonly fitted to vans could be out +/-20ppts.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Whilst my experience of car mechanics both main dealer and Indy is largely disappointing, the thing you are not factoring in is warranty.
    If your dealer supplies and installs the part then should that part fail, your dealer carries the part and labour warranty to repair/replace. If you supplied the parts yourself then sure you can have the part warrantied by the supplier but the mechanic will not be warrantying their labour if it was a failed part. Also,you will need the part or repurchase the part and then retrospectively return the defective unit.
    What I’ve taken to on big ticket items that i’m not prepared to do myself is to buy the part i know I need from the dealers parts desk at less than their list and have the garage install their own part. Best of both worlds.
    Main dealers whilst the biggest thieves of them all still tend to be cheaper ime servicing their own brand vehicles than indys and you get factory parts not questionable chinese pattern parts from the local motor factor
    Presumably your comparative TPS pricing is discounted too with a trade account or already discounted over list pricing
    Why not ask the dealer for a break on the parts pricing or DIY.

FuzzyWuzzy

As has been said, probably just offsets having a more palatable labour rate. If Joe Public sees a £50+ labour rate they’ll likely be put off (even though it might be fair given all the overheads a garage has), would make some sense to put a bit extra on the parts and keep the labour rate lower.

Sundayjumper

If Joe Public sees a £50+ labour rate they’ll likely be put off…

If a main dealer only charged £50/hr I’d fall over in shock ! The (very good) Indy I use is £72/hr. Or it was last summer, anyway.

Did you mean £150 ?

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Car garage rip off is this normal??’ is closed to new replies.