Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • car for my mum
  • SaxonRider

My 70 year old mum is in the market for a new (to her) car, in the £1000-£1500 range, and I wondering about a few different models.

Of particular interest is a 54-reg Fiat Panda 1.2L Petrol with 60k miles on it.

I have only ever driven VWs and Volvos myself, so am totally out of my comfort zone. Any comments on the Fiat?

She would be using it for driving around the Rossendale Valley area, and periodically down the M6 to visit her ‘Southern children’.

Help and other, similar suggestions greatly appreciated.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’d say go for the one with the old 1.9 Peugeot diesel, for that kind of money.
    Will be old, get one with 70k on it. will last her the rest of her life

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Will be old, get one with 70k on it. will last her the rest of her life

Not sure that I’d be making that statement when there’s potentially another 40 years of it left.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

it will be unlikely to be as many as 40!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I reckon any / eithe rof the old classic diesels would be good, the PUG 1.9 before HDi or the Rover L series

wanmankylung
    Free Member

it will be unlikely to be as many as 40!

Hence the use of the word “potentially”.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

and the use of the word ‘unlikely’

“Not sure that I’d be making that statement when there’s potentially another 140 years of it left”

bikemike1968
    Free Member

It might be worth trying to get her into an auto at this point.
    Clutch control will start to go as she gets older, but if you leave it until they are struggling with the clutch it is too late to start learning how to drive an auto.

PePPeR

Cracking little cars, my Dad had one, it was nippy economical, and reliable.

I think its the old Fire engine which have been going since the seventies. I changed the cam belt at the side of the road on one once.

SaxonRider

These are helpful comments. What about the trim in an older Peugeot compared with, say, an equally old VW Polo, or the Panda? The 1.9 diesel might last forever, but what about the car itself?

And the electrics?

Auto not a bad idea…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

The other advantage of the older diesels is that they have little to go wrong with them and in fact, little issues, which you might be tempted to sort on a newer car, just to maintain its resale, can be ignored.

Early nineties Rover 200 or 400, or the MG ZR, or for the pug and old 309, 405 or citroen ZX.

PePPeR

The older diesels you’re talking about here are well past their useable date, they are heavy and drudgy for a seventy year old to drive around in.

The Fiats are cracking little cars, only £30 a year to tax unlike £185 of the diesels mentioned, it’ll also do the same mpg as them and runs on cheaper petrol.

seavers
    Free Member

Early nineties Rover 200 or 400, or the MG ZR, or for the pug and old 309, 405 or citroen ZX.

Excellent list of cars to avoid. The engine might go on and on but the rest of it won’t. Source…Previous owner.

Panda would be a good option. Look for well maintained, FSH etc. Miles not a biggy if it’s been looked after.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Source…Previous owner.

Evidence is not the plural of anecdote

ElShalimo

Mazda2 1.4 semi auto is a good option. (Older square shape)
    It’s a fiesta in a dress but more reliable and better screwed together.

chewkw
    Free Member

Automatic gear a must.

seavers
    Free Member

Evidence is not the plural of anecdote

I’m awfully sorry. did I forget to post the full service history of the Peugots and MG’s I have owned. Get a life.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’m awfully sorry. did I forget to post the full service history of the Peugots and MG’s I have owned. Get a life

That’s nice!

Tell you what SaxonRider, go ahead and get the Panda which seavers recommends. He seems pretty sure of them and their relative merits. He also knows the problems of the old diesels, having owned many despite their problems.

Me? I’m happier that i wil have no responsibility for the choice you make.

good luck with your buying

PePPeR

Perennial favourite in this instance, is of course the Honda Jazz

jools182
    Free Member

I’m with seavers

Avoid rovers. Hateful things

Panda is a good shout

zoo200
    Free Member

Panda/punto/fiesta

weve got them all in our family the panda is the best looking and is great on fuel

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

£1500 you say
    10 yr old bmw or Mercedes any of the diesels at 70 years old everyone deserves to drive something nice !

Biscuit wheel panda on the M6… If you really loved your mum then only the above cars will do !

Mixing spoon and big pot…. 8)

PePPeR

Yeah a 10 year old rear wheel drive car is safer than a front wheel drive?

Look at all the cars stuffed into the motorway barriers as soon as there’s a slight flurry of snow, always BMW and Mercedes!

finishthat
    Free Member

Honda Civic – or Ford Focus – a bit nicer for those longer journeys and no cost
    penalty against the smaller cars.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Look at all the cars stuffed into the motorway barriers as soon as there’s a slight flurry of snow, always BMW and Mercedes!

ooooooo tetchy [img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8422/7862709448_3960bfe7b5.jpg[/img]

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

I was looking last year and there are quite a few low mileage petrol models usually in 3 doors and automatic. I ended up getting a peugeot 1007 which was perfect. Upright driving position, electric sliding doors, tiptronic and even parking sensors,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-1007-Dolce-1-4-petrol-2006-PX-7-seater-/271900858387?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4e8dd813
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-PEUGEOT-1007-1-4-8v-Dolce-3dr-/281698980775?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item41969153a7

T1000
    Free Member

have a look at a suzuki ignis….. not the best looking of cars… however excellent often overlooked small car

rickmeister

Out of the leftfield..

Smart ForTwo

Small, light steering, auto or semi auto, easy to park, plastic body panels…

globalti
    Free Member

Definitely go auto. I’ve just got my new Passat, auto (DSG) for the first time and now Mrs Gti wants to jack in her Ibiza and get an auto. And she’s only 57.

matt_outandabout

Smallish, auto, Asian. I would be more fussed about the previous owners and condition than the model really.

MoreCashThanDash

Suzuki Ignis apparently quite popular with new teenage drivers, cheap to buy, run and insure.

andermt
    Free Member

I’d say look at Nissan Micra’s or Note’s. Can be had as Auto’s as well if required.

Not sure why anyone would look at a Fiat that’s down at £1000, they are not the most reliable cars and an old one, less so.
    The Rovers were okay in their day, but that was 20 years ago, not a good idea to buy a 20 year old car when much newer cars can be bought instead!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘car for my mum’ is closed to new replies.