Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Car folk – gearbox or clutch?
  • djambo
    Free Member

the wife little fiat is making some funny noises when changing gear.

putting it into reverse seems to produce a horrible crunching sound.

changing between fwd gears seems to have become a struggle. no big noises just doesn’t slide into gear like it used too…instead you think it’s not going to go in then pop it’ll clunk in.

any ideas what this might indicate?

clutch or gearbox on the way out perhaps?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Either way the box will have to come out. As a first step though I’d look at the clutch fluid level (assuming its hydraulic) or cable adjustment (if its not hydraulic).

andyg1966

Sounds like the clutch is dragging and not fully releasing.

There is probably no synchromesh in reverse hence the crunching sound and not fully releasing is making the synchromesh on the forward gears work hard hence difficulty in engaging.

new clutch is my guess.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Definitely sounds like a new bike is required.

djambo
    Free Member

so the latest is mrs djambo came home last night and the car seems to be stuck in 2nd gear. the gear stick has gone all floppy in a fwd/back motion but won’t move side to side.

if it helps it’s a cable clutch. the cable snapped and was replaced a few months ago. maybe related?

keen to get an idea of what it might be before it goes back tot he garage. it’s old (17 years) but only done 45k. if it’s an expensive repair it might be time to wave good bye…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Linkage broken between the lever and the box if you’re lucky?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Definitely worth looking at clutch cable adjustment first.

djambo
    Free Member

Definitely worth looking at clutch cable adjustment first.

Finally got round to having a fiddle with this last night. Gave the cable adjuster nut a half a clockwise turn. it seems to have miraculously made it all better **touches wood**

Cougar

What’s she been doing with her car stuck in 2nd for the last two months, walking everywhere?

twicewithchips
    Free Member

it hasn’t been her day, her week, her month or even her year.

retro83
    Free Member

djambo
    Free Member

What’s she been doing with her car stuck in 2nd for the last two months, walking everywhere?

no, stole my car and made me cycle everywhere…which primarily explains my lack of rush to resolve the issue!

reformedfatty
    Free Member

This is nearly as good as my colleague who was complaining his car had started smelling of petrol, followed up 2 weeks later by him calling in saying he wasn’t going to be in as his car had caught fire following a fuel leak.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Car folk – gearbox or clutch?’ is closed to new replies.