Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Car experts, a clutch question.
  • tinsy
    Free Member

OK, usually I have half a clue about such things but this one has me a bit stumpped.

The car is an old banger a diesel Multipla, the clutch is very hit and miss, it does not slip like a worn one, but rather the opposite it can be difficult to engage & dissengage gears, crunching etc, the odd thing is that its usually fine when cold but as things warm up it gets more difficult, I have driven around the problem for nearly 30k but it does get on my nerves.

Any ideas?

Marko

Sounds very much like you have a problem with the clutch master cylinder (or the slave). I’m assuming it is a hydraulically operated clutch? It’s awhile since I worked on a Multipla, so I don’t remember the system.

Can you get it in gear if you pump the pedal a few times?

Hth
    Marko

samuri
    Free Member

I’m no expert but…

Does it make a lot of noise when you’re trying to get it in gear? If so it might be the clutch/thrust bearings which sound expensive but usually aren’t that bad.

Otherwise IME it’s something to do with the hydraulics, master cylinder playing up or something.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Have you tried bleeding the system?
    Plenty about this on t’internet.

porter_jamie

try bleeding it first before spending any money! find a mate who has a pressure or vacuum bleed kit because this makes the job many many times easier.

if it is the slave cylinder you should be able to see leaks in the gearbox area
    if it is the master cyl primary seal you wot see any leaks
    if it is the master cyl secondary seal you might see leaks in the footwell.

globalti
    Free Member

This used to happen every 10,000 miles or so with my Landy. The clutch isn’t disengaging fully. Either bleed the slave and master cylinders or fit new.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It might not even be a hydraulic clutch.
    I worked with a lad some years ago, and he told me his dad said he needed a new gearbox. I flipped the bonnet, tightened up the clutch cable by hand and it was as good as new.

But yeah, my first car (Austin Maxi!!!) had an hydraulic clutch and pretty much the same thing happen to that. Quick bleed and it was fine 🙂

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Clutch is hydraulic on Multipla.

tinsy
    Free Member

It has loads of pressure at the pedal, I do have to pump the clutch at times just to get it into gear, but to be honest pumping has little or no effect.

Bite point of clutch is quite normal not on the floor or way up high, it just does not dissengage very well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Car experts, a clutch question.’ is closed to new replies.