Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Car engine light ford focus
  • tails
    Free Member

Long shot, but are there any common problems that would cause the engine light to go on original focus.

Only had the car a month it squeals when I start the car for 30 secs or until I move off.

I know sweet FA about cars.

parkesie
    Free Member

Plenty of things will turn the light on get the fault codes read is the best way to do it or you just end up changing bits for the sake of it. Maybe get a code reader of eBay if you fancy having a go yourself.

Northwind

What one is it? If it’s the 1.8 TDDI, then engine light means basically anything at all, the diagnostics are terrible. Ford dealer insisted there was a fault in the cam sensor it doesn’t have.

Whereabouts are you? My code reader’ll do 1st gens I think, though it might not tell you a lot.

Cougar

Squeal is probably a slipping belt.

You need to get it plugged into an OBD reader, it’ll tell you what’s going on.

chewkw
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

Squeal is probably a slipping belt.

You need to get it plugged into an OBD reader, it’ll tell you what’s going on.

^^^ this.

I got the ABS light on constantly on my Corolla recently but it was merely dirt sticking to the fluid reservior where the sensor is located. Poked it a bit with paper clip to make sure it’s unstuck, now everything is normal again. But I would not advise you to do so.

allthegear
    Free Member

Take out new for old insurance. Torch it.

tails
    Free Member

I’m based near Cambridge. Will any garage have an OBD reader, as I trust mechanics as much as I trust recruitment agents.

chewkw
    Free Member

tails – Member

I’m based near Cambridge. Will any garage have an OBD reader, as I trust mechanics as much as I trust recruitment agents.

Some cowboys would probably need you to change the whole engine …

Try this to search for reliable garages but take it with a pinch of salt.

Garage search with reviews

craigxxl
    Free Member

Buy one its cheaper than a visit to the garage and you’ve got it for future use.

chewkw
    Free Member

craigxxl – Member

Buy one its cheaper than a visit to the garage and you’ve got it for future use.

This ^^^ the best option.

tails
    Free Member

Good idea as they are only £15, where do I plug it in 😳

Also will it work with OSX on my mac or windows only?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Normally a pull down port under your steering column. F Super I would have recommended but don’t think it works with osx. Try a standalone reader from eBay

luke
    Free Member

On my old mondo putting a tank of decent fuel rather than el cheapo fuel would get rid of the EML most of the time.

mightymule
    Free Member

It’s a Ford.

The engine light is probably broken.

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Thanks for putting your trust in us mechanics, what engine is it? I’ve worked on Fords for 18yrs so might know what it could be. 😉

tails
    Free Member

haha! I’ll buy one of those machines and post back up here.

tails
    Free Member

So I bought one and it scans and the says link error. What will a garage do or is there another connection I can use? I’m slightly concerned as one of the main selling points is that they can delete all error codes, I’m worried the last chap deleted all error codes before selling the car.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Only one port to plug into. Silly question but it is fully pushed in as they can be tight?

jekkyl

Also, under new laws it won’t pass MOT with any light on, on the dash.

tish
    Free Member

Depending on the year, they have a self diagnostic program on them.
    Have a read here it may help.
    http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t1486-0.html

Dai
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member
    Also, under new laws it won’t pass MOT with any light on, on the dash.

That’s not true.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Any warning light on the dash is now a MOT fail since March as pointed out by Jekkyl

Dai
    Free Member

Really? Any more made up rules you’d like me to fail cars on tomorrow?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Yes, I just make this up for fun or maybe you should read this.

tails
    Free Member

Only one port to plug into. Silly question but it is fully pushed in as they can be tight?

Yes it was. . . . the second time I tested! 😳

craigxxl
    Free Member

As it states it’s a connection fault. Do you know someone else with a Ford that you can test the code reader with to ensure it’s working correctly. If not working send back and replace. If the socket on your car is faulty then I don’t how to get around it.

Dai
    Free Member

I have read it thanks. In fact it’s pinned up on the wall next to the MOT computer in work.

Could you highlight where it says an engine management light being on is now a fail, I may have missed it.

bearnecessities

I have read it thanks. In fact it’s pinned up on the wall next to the MOT computer

🙂

jekkyl

Ring an MOT garage & ask them.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I have read it thanks. In fact it’s pinned up on the wall next to the MOT computer in work.

Could you highlight where it says an engine management light being on is now a fail, I may have missed it.

To be fair, I’m not sure he claimed that one specifically. It was a more general statement of fact.

😉

parkesie
    Free Member

Got your ignition turned on when connecting?

althepal

Had a read through that document and couldnt see it saying anywhere that an engine warning light was a fail- stability control, power streering etc aye, but no note of engine management light on there.

Northwind

That change got picked up wrongly in a lot of places, it went from “some warning lights are MOT fails” to “warning lights are now MOT fails” to “all warning lights are MOT fails”.

Still waiting to find out if anyone will notice my de-cat 😳

bigyinn
    Free Member

Depends on whether it fails emissions.

Northwind

Aye, it still ought to pass the emissions test but the de-cat’s a fail now in its own right if it’s noticed. OTOH you can only see that it’s missing from exactly one place, with a torch, so it’s probably not that likely. We shall see…

Still got the cat but it’s a knuckle-ripper getting it in and out.

anjs
    Free Member

I hope its not a 1.6 diesel, friend of mine has just had this problem on a 55 plate. Turns out there is a big problem with the oil supply to the turbo. The supply pipe get blocked as the engine gets clogged up with carbon deposits. this causes the turbo to fail and most often requires a whole new engine as well.

sweepy
    Free Member

Are you still OK to decat diesels?

hora
    Free Member

it squeals when I start the car for 30 secs or until I move off.

Are you still driving round or have you actually gone into a garage?

**** mucking about with readers, if my engine light was on and there was a noise from the engine it wouldn’t be driven/would be with a mechanic.

I had a shriek-sound from a Focus on set off, it was the clutch release bearing however there was no engine light lit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Car engine light ford focus’ is closed to new replies.