Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Car electrics experts…. Headlight dipped beam failure??
  • womble72
    Free Member

I was wondering if anyone could help. My 2002 Honda CRV has recently lost it’s dipped beam but the sidelights and full beam still work fine. I’ve checked the bulbs and both look ok but when I checked the fuse box, I noticed the 20a dipped beam fuse was missing?!?!? I used another 20a fuse from the fuse box (sunroof fuse) to check if that was the problem but even though the fuse is the same it won’t stay in the fuse box (it won’t clip in and keeps falling out). I shone a torch on the fuse box and noticed the 20a fuse holder for the dipped beam doesn’t have any copper clips inside it like the other fuse holders have? Is this just a blank fuse holder and therefore something else is wrong with my headlights? Any help would be awesome.

superdale
    Free Member

Have you tried replacing both bulbs with new? I recently replaced broken units on mine – the old bulbs looked fine but in fact were caput. Replace both as an inbalance in voltage will sometimes blow the older bulb also. Might be the empty fuse holder was for upgraded xenon lights or something on your model which maybe aren’t fitted so just run off another circuit?

muzz
    Free Member

There is no fuse missing in the slot you mention, the fact that the fuse keeps falling out means that no fuse is supposed to be there as there is no fitting for it.

If you have already checked the bulbs and all the fuses are intact the next thing to check is the relay that operates dip beams. Use the car manual to locate this (these look like small black plastic boxes and are located next to fuses)then swap the one that operates the dip with another (they need to be the same relay to interchange).

br
    Free Member

Just replace one bulb with a new one, and when it works – replace the other.

womble72
    Free Member

Cheers chaps. I shall start with replacing both bulbs and see if that works. It seems this is a really common problem with CRV’s of this vintage.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Another possibility if replacing the bulbs doesn’t help… are you sure there isn’t more than one layout of the fusebox, and the dipped beams are a different fuse? May be worth checking all the fuses.

If both bulb have blown, check the voltage at the battery while it’s charging – could be over-voltage blowing them.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

Strangely enough I’ve been having problems with the dipped beam on my 2001 Honda HRV. After multiple bulb changes on one lamp and testing with multimeter discovered it was a problem with the actual bulb holder not transferring current to bulb. Good spray of wd40 and its sorted.

maccruiskeen

I had a similar problem years (and years) ago with a Transit – side lights and full beam but no dipped beam. Turned out to be a fault with the switch itself. in that case the lights and wash wipe were all on one control switch so just swapped the whole unit

Prior to that the get-me-home solution was to make little bridges out of wire between the side light and dipped beam fuses so that switching the side light on turned the dipped beam on too but it looks like thats not something that would work for you

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Car electrics experts…. Headlight dipped beam failure??’ is closed to new replies.