Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Car ECU USB code readers (Ford Focus)
  • dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Does anyone on here use a usb engine fault code reader on their Ford?
    I'd like to get one to check over my petrol Focus, but there's loads & i could do with some recommendations.
    The Ford forums just got confusing… 😳

Jerome
    Free Member

If you are still stuck.
    Buy Car mechanics magazine.
    A good read and there is a column in there that deals with electronic diagnostics.
    Chap in ther may be able to help.
    Cheers
    J.

fozzybear
    Free Member

none, but i write/build those systems for diagnostic kit. some of those systems can cause more trouble than they fix.

i'm sure they will recommend some POS from argos which will allow you to reset you service light that will cost £60 but working in the trade nothing beats a good independent

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just depends what you want to do with it. I've had a "POS" £27 code reader for a year now, so far it has identified correctly a lot of basic faults on several different cars across makes and models, and reset the fault codes/lights quite happily. However it can't get down to the nitty gritty like a manufacturers own kit, especially if the fault isnt purely engine related. However its much more use if you actually have a good idea of what the fault is, and other likely contributors, rather than just replacing what appears to be faulty.

GTDave
    Free Member
    Speshpaul

I have POS fault reader, £17 from China about 4 years ago. (took 6days to arrive)
    Was recommended by the chaps at the local ford garage, they had brought them. Much easier/quicker to use right now, when a car needs fixing. All of the parts guys had brought them as well.
    Mine paid for its self in about the first minute of ownership. Correctly identified a failed Lamda senser that was making my V6 mondeo run on limp home mode(8mpg.)
    Its now been used to fix many fords, a couple of volvos and a Jag. Also been plugged in to a few second hand cars whilst out looking.
    You need to search OBD11 or OBD2 readers on ebay.
    In fact i'll go and have a look:-)

Speshpaul
    Marko

Before you get carried away just remember that all these generic OBD scanners will only read the mandatory emissions related fault codes. They will not de-code the manufacturers specific fault codes, you will need the manufactures tool or a high end scanner for that.
    For Ford that will be the IDS at about £3,000 + annual subscription. DEC super scanner would be an alternative at £1500 + £500 per manufacturer + around £500 per year for updates. (All prices are approximate).
    Hth
    Marko

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Thankyou Speshpaul – that's the kind of recommendation i was hoping for.

FWIW, i only want the basic DTC/engine fault reader, i've had a very basic draper one for a previous car & over the 2years I used it, it successfully found 3 failed engine sensors, saving my time & money all round. Just wanna do that, not interested in live-readings, etc.

al-london
    Free Member

What year Focus is it? Most Petrol Focus's are OBD compliant even the early ones just if it is diesel will be limited.

Something like the Launch Creader 4 will do basic Emissions related codes for around £40 and you will not have to connect to a PC. But remember this is only emissions related. I have also heard good things about the Autoenginuity for Ford but that pushes budget more.

Or you can have the real deal and buy IDS (Which I happen to stock. plug plug 🙂 ) But this around the £3k mark without laptop £3.5with.

http://www.bba-reman.com

Alex

fozzybear
    Free Member

post the year, model, engine size and engine code if you can i'll tell you if it's covered.
    EOBD and obd2
    for petrol it's the start of 01
    for diesel it 04
    but there is some coverage for cars from about 96 but this is not full CAN support this only starts at the dates above. this earlier coverage could mean you have access to ABS or airbag but not service light resets.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Car ECU USB code readers (Ford Focus)’ is closed to new replies.