Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Car-Doored Last Night (Now What?)
  • nixon_fiend
    Free Member

Feeling rather beaten up today after having a car door opened into me last night.

I’ve never been involved in a traffic accident before, nor do I drive – so I don’t understand what sort of compensation (if any?) I should expect from the driver’s insurance people.

I have the guy’s details, he was very sorry etc. etc. Been to A&E to confirm my shoulder isn’t broken (but badly bruised). Reported incident with Police.

I’m not angling for a big fat payout, But it’s going to be at least 2 days off work for me and a case of replacing an 80 quid helmet… Hoping my neck and shoulder stop hurting soon.

How are these things usually settled?

Thanks for any advice 🙂

Dave

Edric64
    Free Member

I had this happen to me 3 years ago when I got doored by a postman .Broken helmet and mudguard ,damaged clothing ,concussion a sore shoulder that needed physio .2 years later I got 1800 quid .I reported it to the police and post office but had to go no win no fee as the postman lied through his teeth about the circumstances

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

If its just damage to material stuff, get some quotes and send them to the insurers.

For compensation for injuries, or if they refuse the above, you may need a solicitors to act on your behalf to get anything whorthwhile.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

Thanks for sharing Edric, This was a pizza delivery guy .. I’m hoping not to have to chase through the courts :-/

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

So it’s a case of me declaring “I’m hurt – pay me” then entering negotiations? I’m only looking to cover my costs really – but I don’t know what these companies typically ‘offer’ in these situations

woody2000

Are you a BC/CTC member?

Edric64
    Free Member

I went to hospital and the doctor as I was in pain so it was documented which always helps a claim ,and get a quote for damaged kit

ChrisHeath

This was a pizza delivery guy

Let’s just hope his insurance covers him for using the car at work then…

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Is it an official pizza delivery or someone doing it part time? I would check with the police that he is covered to drive for work purposes as a lot of people are not.

Could drastically affect your claim.

Regards

swingbing
    Free Member

This happened to me on my bmx in Italy, tore my shoulder open and spent a few days on my back recovering in a youth hostel.

The guy that had opened his car door just gave me a “scusi” and walked off!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

[quoteThanks for sharing Edric, This was a pizza delivery guy .. I’m hoping not to have to chase through the courts :-/[/quote]

You could make their life hell if he gets awkward!
    You just have to hope he’s properly insured for delivery though. I used to deliver in my own car and I know about that!

nealglover
    Free Member

Is it an official pizza delivery or someone doing it part time? I would check with the police that he is covered to drive for work purposes as a lot of people are not.
    Could drastically affect your claim.

Alternatively.

Don’t mention it to the police, that way you may actually stand a chance of getting paid out, because he won’t be mentioning that particular bit to his insurance company if it means he’s he’s not covered will he.

All that will happen if you mention it, is that you minimise your chances of actually getting anything.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Join CTC quickly. Their legal dept will sort you out.

project
    Free Member

http://www.bikeline.co.uk

There was chap in london town not so lucky, who got doored, and he went under a bus and sady died.

Alos check your bike or geet a bike shop to do it, forks could be bent or frame creased.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

This is a tricky one for me, morally, obviously the driver shouldn’t open their door without looking, but a cyclist SHOULD be cycling a door width away from parked cars at least. I know it’s often not practical in the real world, but if not it’s good to slow down a bit and keep an eye on rear windows to see if any cars have someone sat in the driver’s seat.

I’d be content with the value of damaged items in this case, I’d hate to think of those lowlife scrotes known as injury lawyers getting involved and turning an accident into a nightmare.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

I was with the LCC until last month .. perhaps I should refresh my membership.

The accident was at post-code se20 8bd – On google street-view you can see how narrow the lane is without entering the chevrons – esp. with a car blocking half of it.

The driver is ‘part time’ – but I’ve spoken to his employer and they are aware of the incident and claim to be “insured” – we’ll see.

Thanks for the advice so far

rich76
    Free Member

there is a good link on the LFGSS forum explaining what to do if in accident, its got some good points in.
    https://www.lfgss.com/thread4213.html

hope you get it sorted

leffeboy

Remember that once the insurance get involved then whatever the person said at the time doesn’t seem to count :(. It’s not personal, it’s just the way they work. I had a friend who went though the same thing and really only wanted the cost of his jacket and helmet replaced but the insurance company only wanted to pay half. He had to be really insistant to get the lot. Sometimes no win no fee is better than trying to be straightforward

scaredypants

The guy that had opened his car door just gave me a “scusi” and walked off!

… leaving me plenty of time to ****-over every panel and light on the car ?

aP
    Free Member

Not wanting to make light of your collision, but I don’t understand why you didn’t give the car more room when overtaking it. Those chevrons are dashed which means you can enter them and riding defensively you should have been basically riding on the edge of the chevrons if not in them.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Not a Russian named Igor by any chance – I was taken out by a pizza delivery guy in February – now left with a lump on my collarbone and spasms in the cold.

pizza delivery rtc

Had to go to

http://www.bikeline.co.uk

a no-win-no-fee setup who specialize in cycle claims, as his insurer wouldn’t admit liability (as they couldn’t understand the Russian guy or get him to fill out forms).

Got a few hundred as interim payment towards bike bits, waiting until next February on the advice of their medical guy, who was pretty dodgy and was trying to put whiplash down on the list of complaints, missing my main complaint – so I have asked for amendments as I am not putting in false claims, thanks.

Annoying as I was disabled for the only dry bit of last year 🙁

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Sometimes no win no fee is better than trying to be straightforward

I tried that by direct line seem intent on following a course of action that will cost them many times what I wanted (bike parts plus some remedial massage), as solicitors are now involved. Idiots.

shotsaway
    Free Member

Let’s just hope his insurance covers him for using the car at work then…

You will be able to claim against the third party’s insurer. The fact that he/she may be in breach of his/her policy conditions will not affect you. Exclusions of indemnity to damage caused would only affect the other person’s rights to claim for damage to their vehicle.

For example: if a drink driver hits your car, their insurer would pay for damage to your vehicle but would not cover the damage to their clients vehicle. I can’t remember the legal term/name but insurers have a statutory duty/obligation to cover 3rd parties, when their client has caused the damage. Although they will probably try every which way they can, to get out of making a payment!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Car-Doored Last Night (Now What?)’ is closed to new replies.