Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Car 'crash' vs 'accident' – interesting debate…
  • brooess
    Free Member

Road ‘crash’ not ‘accident’

Some interesting stats here which belie the idea of any ‘war on motorists’, more of a ‘war BY motorists’ on everyone else. The comparisons of the number of people harmed by poor driving vs other crimes which garner much more noise in the media are quite shocking.

Still can’t believe the number of dodgy manoeuvres by car drivers in my 2 hour road ride yesterday. Including the Porsche driver who gave me the finger after passing me on a blind bend and then cutting me up as a car came the other way…

RealMan
    Free Member

It’s a traffic collision.

BigJohn

Yup, RTC is what it’s called now.

cynic-al
    Free Member

brooess: how far out into the road were you?

mk1fan
    Free Member

The term ‘accident’ has never really been accurate use of language. It implies that the incident was inevitable regardless of the actions of those involved.

The problem is a physcological one.

Firstly, the ‘average person’ passes their driving test and then beleives that they are an ‘excellent driver’ and need not learn anything more about driving.

Secondly, this same person is also (in the Western World at least) a selfish individual in that their needs surpass others. So they have ‘the right of way’, or ‘the other person should have been looking out for me’ etc…

Thirdly, people look upon driving a car as an essential human right along with food and shelter.

Fourthly, because of the above no political party will dare to introduce actually effective measures to improve driving standards. Like tougher driving tests or periodic re-testing. It would alienate too many voters.

Instead, we get targeted campaigns on minority road users – such as cyclists. These, although in isolation seem good ideas actually have little effect on the whole.

highclimber
    Free Member

two questions

1. was it preventable?
    2. was it forseeable?

if the answer to either these two simple questions is ‘yes’ then it wasn’t an accident

doesn’t take a professor of tropical medicine to make a blidingly obvious and patronising statement to point that out!

brooess
    Free Member

Cynic-al. Primary position.
    Narrow-ish country lanes but ones that are used as a quicker alternative than the main roads. I can see how people would have decided to ‘take the risk’ cos I was ‘holding them up’ and so few places to overtake.
    Lost count of the number of people overtaking round blind bends, plenty of whom then had to cut in!
    Although pleasantly surprised by the number of people who held back until they could see. They all got a wave of thanks.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Highclimber,

Actually, I think it does. It may seem obvious to you and me that thinking about and looking where you’re going is basic driving / riding but there are many (licensed drivers) who find that action irrelevant.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Blind bend on my commute I am so far over to the right a car can almost undertake me – they want to go wrong side of the road on a blind bend then make then think about how daft this is ..I learnt this from experiences like yours. I am not having a dig I am offering advice.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

The term ‘accident’ has never really been accurate use of language. It implies that the incident was inevitable regardless of the actions of those involved.

Really, I’d say that it implied that it was not a deliberate act – “an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury”

I mean, if you fall of your bike and break your leg, you say it was an accident don’t you? even though it was your own actions/faults that led to the incident, its still an “accident”.

highclimber
    Free Member

I mean, if you fall of your bike and break your leg, you say it was an accident don’t you? even though it was your own actions/faults that led to the incident, its still an “accident”.

I use ‘accident’ to describe this in a tongue in cheek manner and I think most people do. The point the OP is trying to get across is when someone crashes their car into a group of cyclists/children/other vehicles the media, tv/ radio/paper, often use the word ‘accident’ to describe the incident which we all agree is the wrong adjective used in the wrong context.

yossarian
    Free Member

I believe that the definition of accident (in occ. safety terms) is that of an unplanned occurrence that leads to physical, psychological harm or material loss.

On which case the term ‘car accident’ seems entirely reasonable.

brooess
    Free Member

Junkyard, no offence taken. I agree with being assertive and confident as a cyclist. It’s because as a group not enough cyclists are, that IMO we are seen as 2nd class citizens.
    On this particular road being too far out risks being taken out by cars coming the other way. Either because they’re driving too fast for the corner, or they’re pulling the opposite trick to the people who were passing me. Last time I rode down there I nearly was!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Car 'crash' vs 'accident' – interesting debate…’ is closed to new replies.