Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • car crash!
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Complete cretin in a BMW (of course) just pulled a speeding, blind overtake on a semi-blind bend right outside my house. Head on collision into a VW Polo driven by an elderly couple. They are now in ambulances and cretin is in the back of a police car. Apparently he was attempting to ‘race’ an Audi according to the lad driving behind him.

Polo is fecked, no front end left.

mrmo
    Free Member

hope the elderly couple are ok, as for the cretin, I do think the romans were on to something when they crucified criminals alongside roads.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

He’s bang to rights, his skidmarks start on the wrong side of the road in a straight line. He’s now at the scene with 3 officers.
    Hope he loses his license for this, suppose a prison sentence is too much to hope for..

tpbiker
    Free Member

now this is the kind of thing you should be getting angry about 😉

Thats not a moment of inattention, or an accident. Its just sheer recklessness. People like this need locked up, or at least never be allowed to drive again.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Didn’t actually see the crash itself, just the aftermath. Heard a huge bang and ran outside and dragged a driver from a car. Turned out to be the BMW driver. Got some grief of two young lads because they thought i was the BMW driver!
    Its a 30 degree bend on a 40mph road, a pedestrian crossing is right at the summit of the rise. Coming from his direction he would be completely unsighted as to what was in the opposing lane when he started his overtake. Completely reckless, there is no way he could tell whether the lane was clear and yet he still tried to overtake at the summit of the hill and on a bend.
    There have been a few incidents here but this is the worst i think,

nealglover
    Free Member

I do think the romans were on to something when they crucified criminals alongside roads.

Their penchant for straight roads would have been handy in this instance too.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’m surprised no other vehicles were involved to be honest, the two lads claimed he was racing another car but that seems to have buggered off sharpish, that in itself seems suss, most people would stop wouldn’t they?

chewkw
    Free Member

UK roads are pretty bendy so not sure why people still attempt to overtake. So far I have witnessed so many blind overtakes on a semi-blind bend it’s scary. Why people put their lives at risk I have no idea. A matter of time some will be hurt.

I used to drive in the far east and over there you really need to be a defensive driver 100% of the time. A crash means no ambulance will arrive for sometimes and people will be crowding around the person(s) taking mobile pictures of the crash …

Hope the elderly couples are alright.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

It took a good while before one of the ambulances made off, hope they were OK.

nealglover
    Free Member

most people would stop wouldn’t they?

Most people who are happy to race on residential streets would be far happier legging it I would say ?

Drac

There’s some proper idiots out there.

It took a good while before one of the ambulances made off, hope they were OK.

Sounds like they probably were then.

singletrackmind

See this all the time . Cocks in ego chariots who feel the need to make themselves feel better about their cruddy existance by driving like ****. You da man coz you cut up 2 cars in a queue by nailing it at the lights although you aren’t as you are still stuck behind the Tesco lorry , and the other 2 cars are 5 seconds behind you , bruv.

Was there air bag deployment ? Usually helps in head on collisions in avoiding face / steering wheel interface.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Don’t know what it is about BMW drivers. Mercedes drivers are pretty bad too.

Drac

It’s potentially any driver the car has nothing to do with it.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

All three airbags deployed, elderly male had facial/scalp bleeding and chest pains. His wife had a broken nose i think, both bleeding fairly badly. Neighbours were on scene with baby wipes, chairs and blankets.

Drac

Neighbours were on scene with baby wipes, chairs and blankets.

Bloody hell was there nothing on Tele?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Its Rochdale, we pawned the telly!

Drac

Ah hence the excitement.

scaredypants

Bloody hell was there nothing on Tele?

😆

eskay

Audi and BMW having a race, there is a surprise!

It’s potentially any driver the car has nothing to do with it.

Not sure I agree with that. A high proportion of knobs seem to drive BMWs and Audis.

winston_dog
    Free Member

A high proportion of knobs seem to drive BMWs and Audis.

Brand envy?

nealglover
    Free Member

Anyone who thinks a particular make of car has drivers worse than any other is either not very observant or they don’t drive very often.

Or brand envy as mentioned above.

brooess
    Free Member

Car design needs to make the driver feel more vulnerable.
    Penalties for aggressive and lousy driving need to be stiffer. Loss of licence for life, loss of car. And when people are found driving whilst banned, jail sentence…

Hope the old couple are ok

Drac

Not sure I agree with that. A high proportion of knobs seem to drive BMWs and Audis.

I’ve not been to RTC involving a Audi or BMW for months if that helps.

winston_dog
    Free Member

brooess – Is this what you had in mind?

wwaswas

You have my permission to snap his wing mirror off muddydwarf. Fwiw

eskay

Anyone who thinks a particular make of car has drivers worse than any other is either not very observant or they don’t drive very often.

Or brand envy as mentioned above.

Or it could be personal experience from someone who does drive quite a lot.

Brand envy – not a fan of cars in general.

Drac

Mine is based on that and it’s any car it has nothing to do with brand.

nealglover
    Free Member

Unlikely.

More likely not that observant, if you say the other two reasons don’t apply.

If it makes you feel better though, feel free to exchange “not observant” for “confirmation bias”

The outcome is the same.

piemonster

Just to interject in between. ”Which car twonks drive”

Hope the old couple are ok. And I hope the twonk gets nailed in court.

Anyway, I think you’ll find Vauxhall Insignia drivers are the worst.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Mine is based on that and it’s any car it has nothing to do with brand.

It’s like Anecdotal Evidence Top Trumps.

I’m googling “Accident Statistics By Brand” – the clearest survey I can find is by confused.com from back in 2006ish. It wasn’t looking good for BMW or Audi drivers in their results. My Saturday evenings are just rapt with interesting searches.

Of course, it was done by an insurance company and we all know we can’t trust them. 🙂

There is another survey done in 2012 by tiger.co.uk (another damned insurance company). This was their table:

phiiiiil

So red ones do, in fact, go slower?

I got cut up earlier by a rolls-royce. This means 100% of the rolls drivers I’ve seen in the last couple of weeks have cut me up. Bastards.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I was coming home from work at 2 this afternoon & slowing down for the roundabout at the top of the Wetherby Road. What make of car overtook me at that point while I was still doing about 45mph?

Yep, BMW. Tit.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Top 10 highest accident rate cars

Alfa Romeo 147
    BMW 330i
    Mazda MX-5
    Seat Leon
    Alfa Romeo 156
    Audi A6
    Mercedes SLK
    Audi A4
    Porsche Boxster
    Audi A3

There was roughly a 300% increase between accident rates for these cars and the one at the bottom of the list, a nova. There was some attempt at explaining why all the cars on the bottom of the list were small ones (not company cars etc.) Also, accidents involving the Alfas frequently involved the unforeseen dissipation of critical mechanical parts, so they could possibly be removed from the list.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Nothing further to add.

eskay

😉

CountZero

Also, accidents involving the Alfas frequently involved the unforeseen dissipation of critical mechanical parts, so they could possibly be removed from the list.

😆
    And that’s a euphemism for what, exactly? Wheels falling off, or suspension collapse?
    If the latter, it puts Alfas on a par with Morris Minors.

mightymule
    Free Member

Also, accidents involving the Alfas frequently involved the unforeseen dissipation of critical mechanical parts

😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In fairness, the table in RichPenny’s post is from quite a few years ago. Maybe Alfa have improved since then? *

*I doubt it.

Drac

So we’re doing insurance databases now then.

So which models had the highest proportion of claims linked to accidents?

We looked at figures from Confused.com’s database over the past 12 months, based on all types of accident claims: this means those where the driver of a particular vehicle was at fault as well as cases where the other party took responsibility, and claims where no blame could be apportioned.

Top of the list was Honda’s FR-V six-seater: between them, 2,529 owners of these vehicles made 466 accident claims in the past year. That’s a claim rate of 18.4 per cent or almost one in five.

Next came Volvo’s XC90: of the 3,886 drivers of this model who bought cover through Confused.com, 619 made claims for accidents – a rate of 15.9 per cent.

The Lexus RX had a claim rate of 15.5 per cent (574 claims out of 3,701 drivers), followed by the Mazda 5 (15.3 per cent, or 373 out of 2,431).

Seems they all vary which is odd as surely they’d all be the same of course it tells us nothing who was to blame or what happened so really is no use what so ever.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘car crash!’ is closed to new replies.