Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Car clutch question…
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

Can the biting point be raised/lowered?

The biting point on my car is really high. I’d not really noticed it until driving a few other vehicles recently. It can make it a bit tricky sometimes on hill starts etc. Also, when it went in for its MOT recently, the mechanic mentioned it too. I realise I should have asked him about it but I was so shocked and relieved that my car had passed its MOT that I just wanted to get out of there before he changed his mind 🙂

Thanks

Suggsey
    Free Member

If it’s cable operated clutch possibly but, what make model car? I only had my VW Passat Tdi clutch replaced when a lady went to move it and found she couldn’t drive it away……turns out she was reting her foot on the clutch and not letting the last few mm engage. 😆

jambourgie
    Free Member

VW Polo, ten years old at least so most likely cable operated. Maybe VW’s are just like that…

Suggsey
    Free Member

Only when the clutches are worn out I’m afraid normally!

jambourgie
    Free Member

Oh well, I can live with it. Hopefully it’ll take its time to fail completely 🙂

I always thought the biting point got closer to the ground when the clutch was failing, hence why I thought it could be an adjustment issue.

Thanks.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Which polo is it?

This shape and newer all have hydraulic clutches

Sometimes you can adjust the pedal to change the biting point.

A high biting point generally means a worn clutch though…

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

longshot but the cable may have stretched

spooky_b329

Probably at the end of its auto adjustment so go gentle with it. In some (all?) cars the pedal weights up significantly, when my Iveco had its new clutch I hurt my foot as the pedal went down so easily I bottomed it out on the floor 🙂 Not surprising that driving it had been giving me knee pain!

It will normally start to slip in the higher gears which can be quite hard to detect when it first starts, dipping the clutch whilst accelerating in 4th and 5th will give you an early warning that its actually on its way out as the rev counter will spike and won’t immediately drop back down.

Driving at 70mph and not realising thats its slipping is the quick way to kill it, if you notice and drive appropriately you may get a few more days out of it whilst you sort out the repair.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

I should mention that it’s been like this for ages, like over a year.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How quickly do they go?

Mines not slipping but I’ve had an inkling that it’s not been 100% for the last 45,000miles, sometimes judders when setting off and the bite point has always been right at the top in the time I’ve had it (i.e. 45,000 miles).

There’s a slight wirring too with the clutch pressed which is probably the release bearing, so that’ll probably die first anyway nececitating a new clutch anyway.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Car clutch question…’ is closed to new replies.