Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Car CD Player
  • aleigh
    Free Member

My CD player in my Honda has decided it’s time to jump around all over the place on every single CD I own……apart from the CD cleaner that is!

What’s that all about?

I am considering just buying a new one, maybe with an ipod connector thing – are they easy to fit in as in woman user friendly kind of fitting in? 😉

Any recommendations for CD/ipod players or ways to sort the stereo out itself would be greatly appreciated 🙂

silverside
    Free Member

the hard part is taking off / loosening the dash – most modern cars have standard push fit conenctors on the back

my local car stero place fits them for 12 quid if you buy from them, to save faff i would see if your local place does something similar

aleigh
    Free Member

Thanks silverside, I’ll see who’s willing to sort me out

Conor
    Free Member

Surely the music on the radio is much better than your CD collection anyway?

Sounds dirty (the player).

I’d go to Halfords and get them to fit one of the MP3/Ipod head units. You have no mission if fitting it yourself, even I’d struggle 😉

aleigh
    Free Member

Conor – the music taste gag is wearing thin now mate 😉

The player has been cleaned and the cleaners ‘music’ doesn’t jump yet everything else does.

It doesn’t surprise me that you’d struggle fitting a stereo 😉

Pook

Fitting it yourself, you’ll have to buy three things

1) the CD unit itself
    2) a set of cables which are for your car
    3) a fascia panel, which will mount the new rectangular CD player in the lovely moulded hole left when you take the old one out

Then there may be some twisting of cables required to fit it in. Trust me, it’s easier to get your local Halfords to do it.

* I used to do this for Halfords

aleigh
    Free Member

Pook, will they fit it even if I don’t buy the stereo from them?

Pook

doubt it.

Conor
    Free Member

Sorry mate.

But seriously, Halfords or local car bling type shop is your best bet. Are you not thinking of changing your car soon anyway?

druidh
    Free Member

How old is the Honda? Many cars now have very vehicle-specific fittings rather than just a DIN space.

rOcKeTdOg

sounds knckered how old is it? motor may have gone, time for a new one

aleigh
    Free Member

My honda is 03.

I really want to change the car yes but I don’t think it’s wise to get a car loan just yet 😉

aleigh
    Free Member

Hi RD

The stereo is the same age as the car, 6yrs old in March. I would like to buy a new one but haven’t a clue what’s good or what isn’t 😕

rOcKeTdOg

6 years, yea it’s not worth repairing, get a new up to date one fitted with ipod/mp3 connection i have no idea which one either though

I_Ache
    Free Member

Go down to your local ICE shop and see what they have on offer they will probably fit it too. Halfords will price match if a shop is in a certain distance from them and should fit for free. What Honda is it? A civic is likely to be easy to change but if you have an NSX the chances are its integrated and will be a big job. I have done a few in the past and with everything to hand including the correct tools its a 10 min job to replace it. But probably another 2 hours trying to figure out how to use it.

stumpy01

I had a Kenwood headunit (not food mixer) in my old car and that was great. I’d definitely get another. If you are not obsessed with car audio, I reckon most well recognised brands would be good enough – Kenwood, Sony, JVC, Alpine, Blaupunkt.
    Just nip to Halfords and see what they have in your budget that suits your dashboard and has the functions you want.

The main problem with fitting head units in modern cars is the limited access to the area, and the way the dashboard is moulded around everything.

IHN

Go to Halfords, they’ll have something on offer for about £100 or less, they always do.

tinribz
    Free Member

CD’s! is this 1999? Mp3s are wots goin on.

Get yourself a cheap laptop with a broken screen, a regulator and a touch screen.

http://www.digital-car.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10149

Weekend job!

Other wise get a car stereo with an aux in for the ipod on the front or even better a usb port for a usb stick. You can get them for <£50 these days, any decent shop will fit for under £20.

Argos

Fitting yourself is easy as just do a google on the car model on how to remove then its just a question of getting the right adapter to plug straight in at the back.

aleigh
    Free Member

I have a Civic and yes I will be getting a player that links up to my ipod!

Just about to have a look at Halfords’ website 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Car CD Player’ is closed to new replies.