• This topic has 27 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by cp.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Car Camping – Inflatable Double Air Bed
  • ronjeremy
    Free Member

Morning all

Just a quick monday morning question guys, whats the forum go to option for an inflatable double airbed for car camping.

Don’t need to break the bank and will probably only get used a couple of times a year when the other half comes with me (I have an alpkit airic for when im going solo)

It will also be used when we are pitching a tent near the car so carrying not an issue

Cheers all and have a good Monday

Tiger6791

After a few we found the Intex one to be good

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Cheers mate

Spent the weekend reading reviews and trying to fathom which one was worthwhile and not going to split or deflate on me overnight

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Get a second big fat alpkit mat? Airbeds are just uncomfortable for one, put 2 people on there and it’s enough to make sure you don’t want to use it.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I wouldn’t recommend a double airbed – every time one person moves, the other one will get bounced around!

Cougar

Don’t, they’re bloody awful. Get another self-inflater.

cashback

colman do one with two chambers which is pretty good. stops the lighter person rolling onto the other or getting bounced off. Add a sheet, duvet and two pillows and it isn’t too bad.

avdave2

If there is anything more unfit for purpose than a double airbed I’ve not come across it*

*Assuming the purpose is for two people to get any sleep. It may work ok if one of the people is dead or in a coma otherwise forget it.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

cashback

is this the one?

cheers

slowoldman

colman do one with two chambers which is pretty good

I second that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

how good is pretty good? Even on one blown up with a proper inflator and just for one a good self inflating mat is more comfotable and warmer

monkeychild
    Free Member

A self inflating mat is way better than a blooming cold airbed. We have a double self inflating mat and it’s great.

GrahamS

We use airbeds for car-camping (just last week in fact).

The rolling into each other thing isn’t too much of a problem if you keep it well inflated (or get a fancy dual chamber one).

The bigger issue is that the air in the bed is cold and stays cold. We usually insulate the bed from the ground with a couple of old school roll mats, then add a fleecy blanket under the bed sheet.

jam-bo

outwell dreamcatcher double.

munrobiker
    Free Member

We use Decathlon’s cheapest one, which was about £14, and have done since we got it about 3 years ago. Our guests sleep on it at our house and everyone’s said it’s comfortable. For twice a year I’d just do that, although stump up the extra for an electric inflator as the foot pumps are very noisy.

nedrapier

We’ve got an aerobed, bought for 2 weeks camping Norway in 2010. Used regularly camping, and as a spare bed at home. Probably seen about 150, 200 nights fitted sheeet, pillows and duvet. bloody comfy. If it’s really cold, put a blanket or two under the fitted sheet – perfectly warm.

Another advantage of the extra thickness over a self inflater is that you can you can camp on really lumpy ground.

Packed up in the bag with the pump, it’s no bigger than two thermarests (the older ones, maybe not the neoair).

dooosuk
    Free Member

We bought one of these and it’s was great when used recently on a camping trip:
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-air-comfort-inflatable-camping-airbed-140-cm-id_8361378.html

stumpy01

Having had several of the cheap, ‘modern style’ airbeds puncture, we went old skool and got one of the ‘lilo’ style airbeds with long cylindrical chambers.
    This has survived quite a bit of camping & friends staying over, but I’ll admit it has never been massively comfortable.

Last year we went camping while my wife was pregnant, so we stumped up for an Intex raised double (actually a queen-size) airbed with built in pump.
    It’s brilliant. Inflates in about 3 mins & it’s pretty much the height of a standard bed. We use a cheap Coleman double sleeping bag on it & have never been cold.
    The only problem with it is being a queen size – it’s massive & takes up loads of room in the tent. We’ll probably keep it for guest duties & get a smaller double one for camping in future.

This is the one we got:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intex-Downy-Inflatable-Beds-Queen/dp/B000CRRCI4/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&srs=1648858031&ie=UTF8&qid=1471256970&sr=1-3

they don’t seem to do normal ‘double’ size.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Try and get something tailored to fit around the arches.
    http://www.autoanything.com/truck-tents/20A50828A1.aspx

takisawa2

Coleman Comfort double is about the best investment you’ll make.

GrahamS

it’s pretty much the height of a standard bed.

We have one like that – great as a guest bed in the house but no use in our (dome) tent unless you want to be uncomfortably close to canvas!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Andes explora 10cm self inflating mattresses on eBay are good for the money and comfy

CraigW
    Free Member

I’d look at the Alpkit Double Dozer, though currently out of stock. https://www.alpkit.com/products/double-dozer

jekkyl

we use a hotel or a B&B, some have restaurants where you can get food and drink as well, very useful.

cashback

Ron Jeremy – yes that’s the one. and get a little electric pump to run of the car fag lighter.

stumpy01

GrahamS – Member

We have one like that – great as a guest bed in the house but no use in our (dome) tent unless you want to be uncomfortably close to canvas!

Ah yes. Suppose that could be a consideration, but with 2 of us in a 6 man tent & plenty of room in the ‘bedroom’ it wasn’t really a problem.

Admittedly, we had to take down the divider & have 1 large bedroom, rather than using one side for sleeping & one for storage. But, that was more to do with the fact that it’s a queen size, rather than a double I think.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Love my 100mm vango self inflator of which they do a double variety…

cp

we use two thick self inflating mats pushed up against each other. Way more comfortable than double (or single for that matter) air beds.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Car Camping – Inflatable Double Air Bed’ is closed to new replies.