Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Car buying
  • angeldust
    Free Member

NorthernStar – Yep, you just have to accept the depreciation for what you get in return. It’s a balance. I think it’s worth it to have something new and eliminate the second hand risk. Not just the costs, also the hassle, which I don’t have time for.

I understand why people go second hand and might change my mind if money was a little tighter….

molgrips
    Free Member

To be honest I don’t think there’s much more risk with a 3yo car than a new one. If anything, there’s MORE risk with new because there could be manufacturing faults etc that will have already been sorted out in a 3yo.

If I were super rich I’d buy new, probably.

Will suggest the Octy to the old man, how could I have forgotten? 🙂 Although I’m not so keen, I think they’re ugly inside and out – but he won’t care.

NorthernStar
    Free Member

Fair enough Angeldust, understand where you’re coming from.

For me personally because I used to work in the industry then I know a bit about cars and how to properly check out a second hand motor to make sure it’s sound.

I also like to buy privately because you can meet the owner and know pretty much instantly whether the car has been looked after or not.

The problem with buying from many second hand car dealers is that you often can’t work out the true history. They buy most of their stock at auction – often just traded in cars from private individuals or fleet purchases. And cars frequently get traded in for a newer model because of problems. It takes a lot more front to sell a problem car face to face in a private sale than it does to trade it in at a dealer.

In other words at a dealer you get exactly the same cars you would buy from a private seller but with a couple of grand added to the screen price, and often lots of the history has gone missing too (e.g. old receipts, sales invoices etc).

molgrips
    Free Member

True about dealers, but personally I loathe shopping for cars privately. I want to go in to a place with lots of cars, sit in some, drive some, and then conduct a decent business transaction with at least some comeback. Good dealers are rare but worth it for me. Sinclar VW in Cardiff also give you a 1 year warranty on their used cars – no idea how good it is mind, didn’t have to claim on it. Although, I did get two free new rear tyres cos the old ones were making funny noises, and they also checked out the iffy automatic handbrake for free.

Incidentally, since I wanted finance, VW were offering way way better rates than banks were, so at the time I actually saved a ton of money by going to the dealer vs private.

CHB

Angeldust: PLEASE ACCEPT MY SINCERE APPOLOGIES.
    I didn’t realise that you were the one buying these high spec cars that I then pick up for 25-35% of new price after a few years use.
    I owe you a debt. Without you (and others like you ie wealthy and too busy to bother with any repairs)then me and Northern Star would have to pay a lot more for our cars.
    Sir, I salute you!

angeldust
    Free Member

CHB, you are most welcome 😀

thomthumb
    Free Member

if they are gonna keep it for a long time i’d lean towards a 1yo than a 3yo. cars do seem to have a definate life.

that said if the options were 1yo pov spec and 3yo with fancy trim i’d know whered i’d be.

a friend of mine buys large, high milage, high spec cars about 8yo runs them till the first repair and gets shot. in the last couple of years she’s had an audi a6 and a grand cherokee. much nicer than the fiestas/ etc you can buy around the £800-£1k mark.

molgrips
    Free Member

that said if the options were 1yo pov spec and 3yo with fancy trim i’d know whered i’d be.

Well that’s exactly it, innit. At a given price point then that is your choice.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my new van has window winders – what a ballache!

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Car buying’ is closed to new replies.