Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Car broken into – Reassurance sought
  • sandwicheater

My own fault, didn’t lock the car and noticed this morning the glove box was open. Only thing I can see that has been taken is the vehicle manual/service book and insurance certificate. Will have a proper look this afternoon after work.

Feel really stupid & angry. Likely some opportunist scrote just trying all the doors. Always thought we lived in a relatively nice area, so much for that thought. 😥

Can they do anything with the service book/manual/certificate? Have never looked in it so no idea what was there. V5 is kept in the house.

Grraaaa, feel so angry & helpless!

willard

Identity fraud? Would that be classed as a form of ID?

willard

Don’t beat yourself up about it though. My old Golf got broken into three times in a row when I was living in Watford. The last time they didn’t take anything much, but left me a bag of peanut M&Ms.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Identity fraud? Would that be classed as a form of ID?

Seriously?

jota180
    Free Member

They just grabbed something and ran off, it’ll be in a hedge back round the corner now.

sandwicheater

I’ll give the car insurer a call to make sure no one calls to cancel/make a change.

Wife on the hunt with the dog this morning to see if it’s been popped in a bin/bush.

bensales
    Free Member

Exactly the same thing happened to me last Friday night. I suspect the pizza delivery, and I did leave it open. They took the satnav and rifled the rest, but oddly left the Oakley sunnies that were in the same cubby as the satnav.

Kinda glad I did leave it open and there was no damage as the car is only three weeks old. What was more annoying is it was on the drive right up against the front door, sandwiched between my other two cars. The blatantness of coming right up to the house in a very public area annoys me more than buying a new nav.

ninfan
    Free Member

I’ll give the car insurer a call

Are you mad?

sandwicheater

Are you mad?

Hmm, good point.

I’ve a cunning plan. I’ll tell them I left the book on my door step after cleaning the car. Everyone loves a web of lies.

dooge
    Free Member

They are opportunists who saw the car was unlocked. Most cars either have door pins or a flashing light when its locked so you can tell its locked. 20 seconds of looking will enable them to tell. Key is not to leave anything of value inside it. So many people will, if you’re car looks like it has nothing inside theres no reason to break in and a higher risk of getting nothing out of it compared to someone who has a few cds on display, satnav mark on the windscreen and loose change lying around. The important bit is to realise they didnt target you specifically, they did no damage and they got away with relatively nothing of financial value.

allthepies
    Free Member

Given your publically available Email address in your (publically available profile on here), do you think that’s a good idea ? 😆

sandwicheater

@allthepies

But I love me a web of lies, I was going to involve the dog and a passing bible salesman and everything, it was going to be a thing of beauty!

angeldust
    Free Member

I wish we lived in a world where we could leave things unlocked. I never leave my car unlocked for a minute, anywhere, even when parked at home (in a nice quiet area). Am I paranoid, or justly cautious?

Think there was a thread on here recently who thought someone followed him while driving home, than targeted his car when inside, and stole the content of the boot.

jota180
    Free Member

Unfortunately, I have a habit of leaving cars unlocked and even parking motorbikes and walking away leaving the keys in the ignition.

Been OK to date 🙂 but I did have a bike stolen 30 years ago from outside the pub

maccruiskeen

I wish we lived in a world where we could leave things unlocked.

When I lived in the highlands it was pretty much an insult to your neighbours to lock anything

ell_tell
    Free Member

I suspect this is more common than some people think. I once also forgot to lock my car and the following morning found that someone had d rifled through the glove box and emptied it on the floor. Nothing was taken though, not even my cd’s!

The car didn’t have door pins so probably not obvious that it was unlocked, so I suspect someone was just scouring the residential area trying various cars.

Markie
    Free Member

My car doesn’t lock any more. It looks like a mobile tip, which may help.

Waderider
    Free Member

You need to lock stuff where you live?! I’d move……

butcher

They just grabbed something and ran off, it’ll be in a hedge back round the corner now.

I suspect this is the case. Any experienced thief would have took something decent, or nothing at all. Probably just some kids, pulled the contents of the glovebox in a fit of panic before their caught…ran off…realised they have absolutely nothing of value and dumped it somewhere.

Probably worth reporting though, or at least warning the neighbours if you live in a small community. If kids are doing that, it’s just a learning experience for them….they’ll be doing it again.

Clover

We left the car not only unlocked but with an entire sliding door (road side) wide open on a Monday Night Pub Ride from Littleborough. Nothing was touched. Not even my entire wallet… Luck of the draw sometimes. Don’t beat yourself up 🙂

sandwicheater

Yaaay, local chap just knocked on the door with all the documents that had been taken.

He’d found them while walking his dog. Gave him some beer as he’d been up and down all the local streets trying to find my car.

jam-bo

Years ago I got in my shitty old mk1 golf to see the contents of the glove box on the floor.

Then realised I was sitting on something. Packet of 20 Bensons with an eight stuffed in it. Result!

They didn’t even take anything or damage it as I’d leff it unlocked.

Northwind

Just to be sure, you have checked the back seat for murderers?

sandwicheater

Just the dead prostitutes I’d left in the boot, few!!

Had expected I’d find some hedge grunge when I was hunting for the documents in the local park. Just found an abundance of pregnancy kits???

trevron73
    Free Member

On Friday night same thing for me ,I never realised the flashing thing showed the car was unlocked ? nothing taken but interior light turned off and cubb holes and glove box left open .Thing is i had £1200 of japenese knives in the boot in 2 knife rolls ?? I guess i got off lucky ??

squirrelking
    Free Member

The amount of people who do this is unreal, I used to make a game of predicting which cars were unlocked (just trying doors, no looking first), scarily good at it. Partickhill would have been prime pickings if I was that way inclined during my student days.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You need to lock stuff where you live?! I’d move……

Yeah but given that most modern cars take a small press of a button to lock it’s not exactly a hardship.

Had 3 cars broken into, 4 or 5 times in total. Think it’s just a sensible mindset really.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Car broken into – Reassurance sought’ is closed to new replies.