Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Car broken into
  • tails
    Free Member

Well kind of, I’ve got a beater of car 1998 Ford Ka, probably worth £150. This morning when I went to get in everything was scattered on the seats, luckily I left it unlocked so the locks are not broken and all I hide in it was receipts and 2005 A to Z haha!

Anyway should I tell the police, three of my friends cars have been broken into in the last year, it’s just a small market town so hardly Peckham. I really don’t want this dirty skag head breaking into my house, or are car thieves and burglars different breeds?

khani
    Free Member

If you phone em up and tell em you left it unlocked and nothing was stolen but they messed up your stuff, what do you think they’ll say?….
    “sarge.., we’ve got a right one here”……

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure if you report it, with all the information you have on the “thief” they will catch him in no time. 😉

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Unlocked = stw,s finest

andypaul99
    Free Member

Wouldn’t bother reporting if nothing stolen it will just go on as a crime stat and yours and your neighbor’s insurance premiums will rise, sad but true I’m afraid

hora
    Free Member

I never lock my car. It has flimsy side rear windows so no point

Cougar

It’s the safest way. I saw a ‘crime prevention’ advert a while back that said one in five break-ins occur in unlocked cars. So statistically, locking your doors increases the chances of theft four-fold.

CountZero

They’ve had a go at it now and found nothing worth coming back for, so it’s safe to leave your satnav and laptop in it! 😉

Dancake
    Free Member

I used to have a Triumph Spitfire with dodgy locks so I never locked it.

Got my Stereo nicked one night. It was more annoying when they came back the next night and nicked the speakers 👿

poly
    Free Member

With a £150 car there is something to be said for leaving it unlocked with nothing of value in it, as if you lock it they could ‘write it off’ with the damage they do breaking in.

tails
    Free Member

That’s my thinking Poly, if they had drilled the door or smashed the window I’d have been more frustrated. I thought maybe if enough car crimes are reported they might do something about it. Poor sod imagine his face when his rummaging produced a tunnocks wrapper!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Assuming you’re not bothered about it being pinched you’re ok (because it’s uninsured if unlocked) but personally I wouldn’t leave any car unlocked. I used to leave a cheapo car with very little in it. Theives broke in without doing any door/window damage to steal the £5 rear speakers while it was parked in central Liverpool – as they couldn’t get the stereo out (it was bolted in) they screwdrivered it, stole an ancient CD that I forgot was under the seat and half a pack of bassets/allsorts which had been there for literally 7 months forgotten and mouldy. Personally I wouldn’t tell my insurance because they’d use it as an excuse to raise my premium, but legally you should.

That’s my thinking Poly, if they had drilled the door or smashed the window I’d have been more frustrated. I thought maybe if enough car crimes are reported they might do something about it. Poor sod imagine his face when his rummaging produced a tunnocks wrapper!

Unfortunately they probably wouldnt care – it’s just a game of percentages to them – win some, lose some.

enfht
    Free Member

Years back my parents had an escaped convict sleeping in their car. A police search then failed to spot the concealed carving knife. Not trying to scare you like.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Car broken into’ is closed to new replies.