Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Car broke down – diagnosis?
  • organic355
    Free Member

JDA and car feels sluggish like the handbrake is on, 5th gear struggling to get up to 60. turned off road onto side street, display flashed engines cuts out – capput. car wont start again. Got it towed, tow company couldnot diagnose.

Audi A4 2.0tdi quattro, and no definitely not put petrol in it.

Engine turns so not battery, fuel is also getting primed. Did note that I put in 0.5 litres of oil last week and checked again today and its on minimum again. No oil leaks around enginer (or on driveway) so must be burning/using oil? – what causes this? could this be the problem?

Any ideas? its in garage now bit cant look at it until Monday. I hate cars (well they are alright when they work). Not a problem for me as I ride to work, but mrs uses it for work.

SebRogers
    Free Member

Could be any one of a large number of things. The 170pd (up to 2008 model year IIRC) has a known injector issue that can cause sudden engine cut-out, but that wouldn’t necessarily explain oil loss. A tandem pump problem might, though, as could a problem with an injector seal. Or various other possibilities.

It’s all just stabbing in the dark until you get the car to a garage with VCDS and someone who knows how to interpret fault codes. That’s what I’d do, anyway 🙂

chunkypaul
    Free Member

had something similar with my ford at xmas, faulty relay had caused an battery issue and an engine management warning, therefore the car went into some kind of safe mode and wouldn’t go over 70 mph

neninja
    Free Member

I had something similar on a VW tdi previously. It was a split duct on the turbo. Easy to fix if it is that.

Klunk
    Free Member

on my old impreza, used to be a way to diagnose the engine warning light error, connecting a wire under the dash and the engine warning light would “flash” an error code you could look up. Maybe something similar for audis ?

organic355
    Free Member

fuel injection pump

I am bending over right now with my pants round my ankles

£530???? + VAT ?????? and it also needs a service, 3 hours labour, another £200

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgh!!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

That’s relatively cheap for a CRD injection pump to be fair. Not that I’m sure you want to hear that right now. You see you buy a good efficient environmentally friendly car and you get bent over for it. I drive a cheap ~90’s petrol, pay a bit more for fuel and…oh, no that’s failed too 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Car broke down – diagnosis?’ is closed to new replies.